Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

No, you can wail and moan about it all you want, but you don't get to make the decisions, and if you break laws imposed by those that do you will be, rightly, punished for it.

Youre an absolute moon unit. See in May, we all get to make the decisions. 

I’ve not broken a single lockdown or covid restriction since they were imposed, but it would seem you are angling for thought crime. 

2 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

I know we have a spectrum of opinions on this thread, and some of you will know which side of the spectrum I tend towards. But f**k me, Carnoustie Young Team talks some amount of shite.

There aren't many posters on here who are a better read on the sport of football than @Carnoustie Young Guvnor so I'll give him a pass

Just now, Honest Saints Fan said:

8th March England hope to reopen schools. That will be 3 weeks after top 4 vulnerable groups have been vaccinated.

That makes sense.

I have a vaccine date of 12th Feb. It would make sense for NS to continue shielding at least up here for 3 weeks after the current date.

No, maybe you don't watch the news, the target is for every adult to have had their first dose by July. The second dose, and you don't get complete protection until you've had that, is three months later. What is three months after July?  Take your time....
That was at 25k as in now. We keep hearing of 40k per day by 1 Feb so....7500000 doses is 187 days. I'll let you work that out but if the football season was to start on 6 August.....

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Tbf, zero covid doesn't actually mean zero cases - https://www.pbp.ie/zero-covid-what-it-means-and-how-we-get-there/ - that's for Ireland but still relevant.

It means getting cases down to such a low number that tracking, tracing and protecting those people should be a piece of piss. 

Given the piss-poor level of compliance with self-isolation requirements, that's not actually a realistic policy though. Leaving aside the effectiveness of the contact tracing element as well. Even the most effective contact tracing exercise can only delay the inevitable outcome of community transmission. And eventually one of those is going to accelerate and you are back to square one with restrictions. See 2020, everywhere, including Australia and NZ who were not smoothly bumped from 'restrictions' to 'freedom' thanks to their miraculous quarantine policy.

The only way out of this is vaccination, while continuing to work on treatments for serious illness that should be a fallback option. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

71-73%. If one dose gave complete protection we wouldn't need two would we?  

71-73% protection from catching covid altogether, 100% protection from serious disease for those that do still catch it. What more do you want?

I'm assuming you can read what the second dose is for, so i'll let your ridiculous question slide.

Edited by Todd_is_God

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

71-73% protection from catching covid altogether, 100% protection from serious disease for those that do still catch it. What more do you want?

I'm assuming you can read, so i'll let your ridiculous question slide.

Funny cause Aus and NZ are discussing withdrawing the Oxford vaccine as they don't believe those figures.  Its not a surprise the CEO of a company says their product is great.

55 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The new variant wasn't around in the summer, so the issues on the second wave in a UK context are more recent. Common sense measures that could keep R0 relatively low but with the economy functioning reasonably normally were a necessity because the economy can't simply be put into cold storage for months on end without creating issues that are every bit as serious elsewhere. What will probably get looked at very closely with the benefit of hindsight is BJ's decision making more recently in the context of imminent vaccine implementation when it was easier to justify a few weeks of stricter measures in certain inherently higher risk contexts to limit new infections as vulnerable groups received the vaccine.

The populism surrounding the idea of suppressing numbers temporarily with brief periods of harsher measures in October and November to improve the optics of a normal Christmas was always questionable from a public health standpoint as politicians were intentionally creating conditions that were ripe for a large spike in new cases in the second half of December should a more easily transmissible variant or strain emerge, and the policy of keeping schools open even after it became clear that a new variant was spreading rapidly in London amongst the younger age cohorts suggests that decisions were still being made primarily on political expediency.

Maybe so but it was certainly around in late November when the UK government decided to turn London into a petri-dish by putting it in Tier 2 Level of lockdown. That surely has got to be a strong challenger for the worst decision of the pandemic (so far).

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Piers Morgan's entire shtick is to take an issue, join what he thinks the popular side of it that is and then rant and rave like a lunatic and perhaps spend an interview shouting at someone on the opposite side of that issue. 

Look at his past - kissing Trump's arse and bemoaning snowflakes before doing an about turn when it all went wrong. Then he was self-identifying as a penguin a while back before deciding he'd had enough of the culture wars. 

The man is a self-promoting c**t.  Make no mistake, his only motivation here is advancing the career of Piers Morgan. Attacking the government when the country has the worst death toll in Europe is just low hanging fruit for him. He'll be kissing Johnson's arse in a few weeks when people become bored of the numbers and the vaccination programme continues to go well (assuming we've managed not to screw it up). 

I see today he's tweeting about a 'high profile' guest he had on earlier on Good Morning Britain promoting anti-lockdown stuff.  The 'high profile' guest?  Jim Davidson.  Someone who hasn't been high profile in years and whose last prime time mainstream TV hosting gig would've been in the early 2000s (Big Break?).  I'd imagine most people under 25 wouldn't know who he is.

Edited by Highland Capital

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Given the piss-poor level of compliance with self-isolation requirements, that's not actually a realistic policy though. Leaving aside the effectiveness of the contact tracing element as well. Even the most effective contact tracing exercise can only delay the inevitable outcome of community transmission. And eventually one of those is going to accelerate and you are back to square one with restrictions. The only way out of this is vaccination, while continuing to work on treatments for serious illness that should be a fallback option.

Totally agree and I wouldn't have any confidence in a zero-covid policy here in the UK. 

FWIW, I do think the SG narrative will change in a few weeks. I think they're going big on the "we're still not sure what things will look like" angle to try and keep people in line with restrictions until vaccines have enough of an effect to keep ICU numbers and deaths down, however I'm not sure this narrative is having the desired effect that the SG had hoped. I see lots of people losing patience rather than looking to stick out these last few months whilst the vaccine takes hold. If the language is still negative after targets are hit in February then I'll be properly concerned about our long term policy here. 

The fat, Tory cunt is giving another news conference at 5.  is it just to announce the schools as per a few posts above, or to announce that he is indeed an useless cunt and he and Hancock and other wankers are resigning?

Right so the announcement has been made by Bozo and it's not a blanket policy of hotel isolation it's only specifically applying to countries on a "red list" to be announced soon. So people from countries outwith that list will be free to do as they are just now thus zero Covid fantasists can now return to the flaccid position again.

Oh and schools reopening 5 weeks today in England is the plan.

5 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Funny cause Aus and NZ are discussing withdrawing the Oxford vaccine as they don't believe those figures.  Its not a surprise the CEO of a company says their product is great.

It's not a surprise you don't believe something which isn't doom and gloom