Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

More than you would imagine is my guess, the queues at these places are a disgrace from my walking past experience. 

Again, any evidence at all that going for a takeaway coffee increases the number of positive cases ? 

11 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Again, any evidence at all that going for a takeaway coffee increases the number of positive cases ? 

No evidence whatsoever other than what I've witnessed from the shambles queues blocking pavements walking by as I said.  Some places will be better than others and some will be a disgrace, certainly locally the hatch type places seem to be the worst for folk turning it into a hanging about type event. 

27 minutes ago, 101 said:

Ave. Age 🇸🇪 41.1🇬🇧 40.3

Poverty 🇸🇪 16% 🇬🇧 20% but absolute poverty is higher in the UK

Overweight adults 🇸🇪 43% 🇬🇧 60%

Unemployment 🇸🇪 6% 🇬🇧

Diversity 🇸🇪 largest non EU groups (Syria, Iraq, Iran) 2.2% 🇬🇧 Asian Brits alone make up 6%

A third of the population in Sweden have one parent born abroad. It's far more diverse than the UK and that also makes the comparisons to Norway and Finland outdated.

Guest Bob Mahelp
Just now, itzdrk said:

No evidence whatsoever other than what I've witnessed from the shambles queues blocking pavements walking by as I said.  Some places will be better than others and some will be a disgrace, certainly locally the hatch type places seem to be the worst for folk turning it into a hanging about type event. 

I wasn't having a go at you. I just don't think anecdotal experiences are enough for the government to create policies on. 

If it can be scientifically proven that people are spreading the disease by standing in queues at cafes, then by all means close take away places down completely. 

If though it's just another attack on the hospitality industry....which seems to be the first and easiest target of any government policy....then the government should be explaining their reasoning. 

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

A third of the population in Sweden have one parent born abroad. It's far more diverse than the UK and that also makes the comparisons to Norway and Finland outdated.

But when talking about Covid it's only really relevant if they are BEM who are more likely to die.

So thats the Ozzies calling for the halting the of the roll out of the Oxford (dont forget to mention its from Oxford, gstq, watp) Vaccine because its apparently not any use.... f**k knows whats gonna happen if thats the case. 
Anyway, increased controls tomorrow should be implemented along with Jeane Freeman’s resignation on her failure to get the vaccination efforts up and running and overseeing advice that said ‘aye just huv xmas with yer granny’. Stop blaming the public for the mess you told them they could get themselves into. 

36 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Does Sweden have curbs on indoor house gatherings?

8 in a public gathering and is also the recommended amount for a private gathering...but no more than 4 to a table.

The swedes i know have basically put themselves n lockdown and from what i see on there social media they just visit parents/kids much like ourselves outdoors as they dont tend to enter homes for the visit.All been wfh since feb last year apart from my mate in gothenburg as he works for the council as a lorry driver

Edited by doulikefish

35 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Last time I checked I don't think so. There are limits on gatherings in public buildings but not your own home.

Swedish guidlines are all here and the parent page of this one. 

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/regulations-and-general-guidelines/

As far as I can see they don't specify anything about your own home. They don't even specify numbers, only talking about a "small circle" which they acknowledge will be different for everyone. 

Edit: although I don't know how up to date this is. @doulikefishseems to know more about specific numbers 

Edited by madwullie

23 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

8 in a public gathering and is also the recommended amount for a private gathering...but no more than 4 to a table.

The swedes i know have basically put themselves n lockdown and from what i see on there social media they just visit parents/kids much like ourselves outdoors as they dont tend to enter homes for the visit.All been wfh since feb last year apart from my mate in gothenburg as he works for the council as a lorry driver

The point isn't about what they are doing now, it's about what we, and they, did in the Spring and Summer.

Despite everything we did and spent to supposedly avoid the exact scenario we find ourselves in, we are there.

What we did was damaging, and hugely expensive, but has ultimately not produced a different result. It's absolutely fair to question the effectiveness of restrictions in the Spring and Summer when faced with the very real prospect of following the same blueprint again.

Rather than looking at it as a black and white right vs wrong approach, it's more looking properly at what, if anything, actually works?

Edited by Todd_is_God

Aye, Sweden's diversity is well documented and explains why they are an outlier in many statistics but have a wander around Oslo and you'll see Norway aren't far behind, about 10% Asian and 5% African. 40% of Oslo primary school children have a mother tongue other than Norwegian.

16 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I was brought up in Thatcher's Britain a teenage punk, listening to punk bands like Crass, Subhumans and Discharge, then Napalm Death and ENT

Nothing to add to this topic, other than that you have superb taste in music.

16 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Swedish guidlines are all here and the parent page of this one. 

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/the-public-health-agency-of-sweden/communicable-disease-control/covid-19/regulations-and-general-guidelines/

As far as I can see they don't specify anything about your own home. They don't even specify numbers, only talking about a "small circle" which they acknowledge will be different for everyone. 

Edit: although I don't know how up to date this is. @doulikefishseems to know more about specific numbers 

I missed out what is probably the most important bit the police there now have the powers to break up public gatherings 

17 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I was brought up in Thatcher's Britain a teenage punk, listening to punk bands like Crass, Subhumans and Discharge, then Napalm Death and ENT, going to free festivals and sleeping on other people's floors, unsure of what the future holds, no plans and little ambition. Worked in a health shop for a short time in the mid eighties and there were lots of CND leaflets which I would read on my break, 'Oh Inverness targeted by the Soviets for an airburst because its a communication center, that's nice'.

The 80's were more stable than many in the west took for granted at the time as the old Soviet guard started to die off and be replaced with leaders with a more progressive outlook. The 80's then were nothing compared to the 60's and the paranoia around the time of the Cuban missile crisis, my Dad remembered the RAF being on full alert and in the air  going back and fore around the Highland capital and the airbases at Lossie and Kinloss, it was very grim for a few days, we came very close and it wasn't the Russians that we were worried about it was the trigger happy USA we had to watch out for to kick it off. They had shown the world in 1945 what they were capable of, no one else had gone that far.

Linking up to the current topic there was an animated film shown during the 80's about an old couple who followed the government guidelines, a few pamphlets on how to get through a nuclear strike, these were the instructions of the time and they were ludicrous and of no help in the end. I remember the film Threads as well, gave me nightmares.

Do we trust our governments to be giving out the correct advice?

Yeah, Threads is pure nightmare fuel. When the Wind Blows is not much better.

Ironically in the 80s you had this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Able_Archer_83

Which ended up probably being an even closer call than the Cuban Missile crisis. One side was hallucinating and the other wasn't paying attention. Would have been a real whoopsie. The whole world incinerated over a misunderstanding and no one left standing afterwards would have known why.

27 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So thats the Ozzies calling for the halting the of the roll out of the Oxford (dont forget to mention its from Oxford, gstq, watp) Vaccine because its apparently not any use.... 

Where are you seeing that?

25 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I was brought up in Thatcher's Britain a teenage punk, listening to punk bands like Crass, Subhumans and Discharge, then Napalm Death and ENT, going to free festivals 

If it was a choice between listening to Crass and getting radiation poisoning is take the radiation.