Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:
I think its a reasonable measure on the whole until the summer, im not suggesting 9pm closures either, 12/0100hrs closing, table service to ensure distancing on the whole but not as mad as it was before. 

Yeah, you are probably right tbf, wishful thinking from myself. Everything will be bled back in still with restrictions, no doubt about that.

They will need to come up with some proper reasons or that will be the point when everyone just does their own thing.

26 minutes ago, virginton said:

Yet more goalpost shifting I see. Freeman stated that they would vaccinate 1 million people in Scotland by the end of this month. That's the benchmark and they'll be fair game for criticism if they get nowhere near that target. And if it's less than half a million at that point then Sturgeon should be resigning on top of Freeman.

Ok  lets see, in the middle of November, before any vaccine had been approved, and well before any deliveries were arranged, Freeman talked about their aims and plans for vaccinating.

"We need a workforce that is diverse in its skills and availability. Our planning assumption is that for vaccinators and support staff, we will need over 2000 by the end of January. So that – vaccine availability and delivery schedules yet to be confirmed – we will be able to vaccinate around one million people by that time.

"Presiding Officer – it is important to be clear about what we don’t yet know yet. We don’t know which vaccines will be approved for use, and when doses of those vaccines will reach us. We do not yet have information about all the vaccine characteristics – for instance we don’t yet know whether the Pfizer vaccine will be approved for transportation, beyond the ultra-cold temperature currently used in order to allow us to vaccinate in multiple smaller locations, like GP practices and care homes."

That does not set out a target that they will vaccinate one million people, it sets out what they hope to be able to do, depending on various factors. Considering the vaccine hadn't even been approved for use then, banging on about changing goalposts just shows you up even more as the laughable anti whatever it is you are.

Plus, they might not even have 1 million vaccines by the end of January. As of last week, they hope to have 900,000 and when asked about the prospect of vaccinating up to a million people, the FM said:

"It’s dependent on supplies, so we at the moment, and we are being quite cautious in what we’re saying, only giving commitments that we think we can absolutely rely on, we think we will have by the end of January just over 900,000 doses of the vaccines, slightly below that million but hopefully it will get closer to that as the supplies become a bit firmer over the next days and weeks."

So you know what, I'll stick to the target they are setting now that they have a supply of vaccines, and all the priority groups down to over-70s by the end of February. You carry on with your blustering if that's what keeps you happy. 

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Not one person is saying that.  It's pretty much agreed that locking people down unnecessarily after the people likely to die from Covid have been vaccinated is moronic, yet the SG seem to be hinting at it.

It's hoped by most people that lockdowns will be unnecessary once all the vulnerable/at-risk are vaccinated, not that there won't be any restrictions, except of course by some people who can't appear to differentiate between the two and appear to think shouting it as often as possible makes it a fact. 

27 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I agree we should still have measures in place until we get the over 50s vaccinated but those should be, minimal household visitors, table service in pubs/restaurants, social distancing and mask wearing along with the other more obvious measures. 
As soon as the most at risk are vaccinated and the immunity period has passed we need a massive roll back of the restrictions. 

Is all the over 50s included in the 2.5 million to be vaccinated by May? 

1 minute ago, MixuFruit said:

I've read books from the 50s that specifically mean travellers when they call them tinkers so how far back in the day are you meaning?

I'm talking from personal experience growing up in Ayrshire in the 60's. The term "travellers" wasn't current then either (in my experience). Anyone who would currently be termed as part of the Travelling community would have been called a Gypsy. The term "tinker" was as a reference to the occupation (admittedly not normally respectfully), with no ethnic component to the description - although the very definition of the occupation meant that these men travelled. I can honestly say I never heard a woman described as a tinker.

As I said in an earlier reply, the more we live the more we learn, and if it's just as easy not to cause offence, then we shouldn't do so. We're not here for long, why make it harder for each other?*

*Tories and OF Fans excepted, natch.

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Is all the over 50s included in the 2.5 million to be vaccinated by May? 

Yes, although it's not a specific target, just a suggestion that's what the aim is for now. Although this is from the BBC, and isn't specifically for Scotland , but we are broadly the same (UK Gov saying mid-Feb for over-70's, Scot Gov say they are aiming for a similar time-frame but target is end of Feb, for example).

vaccinate every care home resident by the end of January
everyone over 70 and anyone who is clinically extremely vulnerable by mid-February
the rest of the priority groups after that, possibly by May 

Priority groups are: all the various health & social care staff, everyone over 50 and 16- to 64-year-olds with serious underlying health conditions.

22 hours ago, superbigal said:

Unfortunately not a great latest recorded 24 Hours.  So cases per 100K for 2nd jan to 8th Jan went from 286.3 back up to 298.6  This is back to very close to the peak number 4 days ago. As for the councils themselves.

Huge drop in cases (Over 10%)    NO Authority

Large drop in cases (Over 5%)  NO Authority

Small drop in cases (Under 5%) in Angus, East Lothian, East Renfrewshire, Midlothian, Perth & Kinross, Borders,  West Lothian

No Change in cases in  Western Isles,

Small increase in cases (All under 5%) in Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, City of Edinburgh, Clacks, Falkirk, North Ayrshire, North Lanarkshire,  Renfrewshire, South Ayrshire, South Lanarkshire, Stirling 

Larger Increase in cases (Over 5%) Argyll & Bute, Dumfries & Galloway, Dundee City, East Ayrshire, East Dunbartonshire, Fife, Glasgow City (Nearly 10%), Highlands, Inverclyde, Shetlands, West Dunbartonshire

Huge Increase in Cases (Over 10%) Moray,

Orkney 3 cases to 6 cases

Another day onwards.  Please remember all those commenting that these figures are a 7 day rolling period that are 3 days in arrears.   So I am NEVER talking about YESTERDAY as some posters keep referring.  There is no LAG in these figures only a fixed 7 day period.

Anyway 2nd Jan to 8th Jan was 298.6 cases per 100K population with confirmed positive tests.   3rd Jan to 9th Jan is down to 285.2 a drop of 4.48%.    So at least we are now back down to a lower figure than the previous recent best of 286.3 2 days ago.  We now have a sustained slight drop of about 5.5% since the peak 5 days ago. A good single day change for many councils as 2nd January is dropped and replaced by 9th January.

Huge drop in cases (Over 10%)    Dumfries & Galloway, Scottish Borders, Shetlands, 

Large drop in cases (Over 5%)  Aberdeenshire, Angus, City of Edinburgh,  Dundee City, East Ayrshire, East Dunbartonshire, East Lothian, East Renfrewshire,  Falkirk, Inverclyde,  Midlothian, North Ayrshire, Renfrewshire, South Ayrshire,

Small drop in cases (Under 5%) in Aberdeen,  Clacks, Fife, Highlands,  Moray,  North Lanarkshire, Perth & Kinross,  South Lanarkshire, Stirling, West Dunbartonshire, West Lothian

No Change in cases in  Western Isles, Orkney isles

Small increase in cases (All under 5%) in  Argyll & Bute, Glasgow City,    

Larger Increase in cases (Over 5%)     No Councils

Huge Increase in Cases (Over 10%)  No Councils

11 minutes ago, s_dog said:

It's hoped by most people that lockdowns will be unnecessary once all the vulnerable/at-risk are vaccinated, not that there won't be any restrictions, except of course by some people who can't appear to differentiate between the two and appear to think shouting it as often as possible makes it a fact. 

😂 Ok m8, that's definitely what's happening here.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
30 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:
I agree we should still have measures in place until we get the over 50s vaccinated but those should be, minimal household visitors, table service in pubs/restaurants, social distancing and mask wearing along with the other more obvious measures. 
As soon as the most at risk are vaccinated and the immunity period has passed we need a massive roll back of the restrictions. 

I mean, I am slightly biased here as a big fan of pubs, but table service in pubs until the over 50s are done seems OTT to me.

Table service in pubs is one thing I'd quite happily keep if done  correctly. If you're in a decent pub and the staff know what they're doing, it's just a matter of getting your timings right and you have a fresh pint in front of you just as your finishing the last one and you don't have to face the hassle  of jostling at the bar with a bunch of arseholes waving a five pound note around.

People are always so anti-mask.   "I cant see as well"   "My ears hurt"   "Why's my mask not as snazzy as my Janets?"   

It's frustrating when there's upsides to mask wearage.    For example, did you know that human fly swallowing was down 43% in 2020?    And I knew an old lady that swallowed a fly.   I don't know why she swallowed a fly.   If only she wore a cotton layered face covering she might not be dead.   

11 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Table service in pubs is one thing I'd quite happily keep if done  correctly. If you're in a decent pub and the staff know what they're doing, it's just a matter of getting your timings right and you have a fresh pint in front of you just as your finishing the last one and you don't have to face the hassle  of jostling at the bar with a bunch of arseholes waving a five pound note around.

You won't be saying that when the cost of the extra staff is absorbed into the price of that tasty fresh pint now will you?

15 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Yes, although it's not a specific target, just a suggestion that's what the aim is for now. Although this is from the BBC, and isn't specifically for Scotland , but we are broadly the same (UK Gov saying mid-Feb for over-70's, Scot Gov say they are aiming for a similar time-frame but target is end of Feb, for example).

vaccinate every care home resident by the end of January
everyone over 70 and anyone who is clinically extremely vulnerable by mid-February
the rest of the priority groups after that, possibly by May 

Priority groups are: all the various health & social care staff, everyone over 50 and 16- to 64-year-olds with serious underlying health conditions.

Cheers. 

There's really no excuse why we can't be back to normal by June/July if the vulnerable/elderly etc are vaccinated and there is no longer pressure on the NHS from Covid.