Coronavirus (COVID-19)

30 minutes ago, 101 said:

I get that hotels will have a real struggle in the coming weeks but to chuck staff out into the night pretty much is awful

I have a friend who had to lay off staff at a hotel, but at least they're giving them accommodation as long as they need it.

ETA: not that it needs added, but that Aviemore Hotel owner is an utter scumbag.

Edited by Savage Henry

9 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Oh wow, I was making up that last sentence but my wife has just been told that’s the schools suggestion. Can see the little darlings being filled with joy at that prospect. Only for a couple of days mind you. Our sons autistic so hopefully this doesn’t cause a massive issue for him.

I was told that staff still had to go in to work as there are many families that can't arrange child care so schools will become a creche.

There is also the low income families that rely on their kids going to school to be fed, dinners will be made available for this as well.

29 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

If you're ever in Aviemore here's where not to stay:

Never stay in a Britannia Hotel at ANY time if you can avoid it !!!

4 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

Here's a tip (if you need it) On the commercial channels, record everything you want to watch, then you can whiz through not only the adverts but also the opening credits,

'coming up'  , 'last time' . 

That way you can cram in even more vaccous shite.   I speak with the voice of experience.  

Here's a sad fact. I have a machine capable of recording 8 simultaneous transmissions.  Never used fully except for testing purposes I hasten to add.

On get up two hours early and ‘live pause’ the TV.  It’s a bit tricky getting used to the timings but you’ll never watch an advert again. It also restricts you to one channel only. Other than that it works well.

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Dunno, maybe. All my jokes about my folks not getting how serious this is are a reaction to my ever increasing sense of dread. I look at the curve of cases in the UK and the curve of cases in Italy and my stomach gets butterflies at what 2 weeks from now is going to look like.

It doesn't need to be like that.  If people take "try to avoid pubs" at face value, rather than as "go to the pub all you like", then there won't be a need for 'draconian' rules to be set in.  As it is, these idiots are going to have to be saved from, if not themselves, infecting other people.  That said, Italy's numbers are just horrendous, and I'd love to know what went wrong there.

39 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

A wee bit of levity in the current situation.

My work is fkd, my brother has been sent home from work. Through a contact we managed to get a game of golf at Gleneagles today. (And if you’re wondering what all the footballers are doing at the moment, they’re all there self isolating amongst themselves. I know I know...).

His wee van looked a wee bit out of place in the car park: 

Best caption competition entry we’ve had so far? 

w**k, w**k, Good Guy, w**k 

C809B964-5B70-4886-AFBC-354C1A0C4BC4.jpeg

golfers-all wanks

People on twitter losing their minds because TRNSMT say they currently have no plans to cancel.

Why would an event 4 months away wanting to wait a little to see how the situation plays out before (potentially) needlessly cancelling something cause a heads gone moment with so many people?!

Apparantly it must be cancelled now because Glastonbury is cancelled.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Dunno, maybe. All my jokes about my folks not getting how serious this is are a reaction to my ever increasing sense of dread. I look at the curve of cases in the UK and the curve of cases in Italy and my stomach gets butterflies at what 2 weeks from now is going to look like.

I think we’re all employing gallows humour as a defence mechanism, however anyone who has not given some thought to how badly this could pan out is totally lacking in awareness.

33 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

That is absolutely outrageous, how can you throw someone out without any notice ?

Absolute b*****ds.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Stock exchange should be suspended too.  It is being manipulated by speculators.

A drop of 35% in share price one day followed by a 25% increase the following day is not a reflection of a company’s performance or worth.  

Would probably be a good time to ban short selling for a period, at least, and I say that as someone who thinks it can play an important roll in ensuring good governance at times.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

We should make a list now of all the business that need bricks through their windows in a year's time because of their conduct now.

1. Coylumbridge Hotel, Aviemore.

2. Heart of Midlothian Football Club, Edinburgh.

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

My sons private nursery hasn’t clarified if they are closing yet.

Same here. I spoke to them on the phone this morning (when I told them we were keeping him home) and they said they were waiting for guidance. 

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think we’re all employing gallows humour as a defence mechanism, however anyone who has not given some thought to how badly this could pan out is totally lacking in awareness.

Oh, we're fcuked, make no mistake about that.

I think anyone with half a brain knew that when Governments decided to trash their economies and senior politicians were happy to watch their wealth be destroyed that this was slightly more serious than "just the flu".

The death toll is undoubtedly going to be horrendous and if and when we come out the other side then the world will have changed dramatically. 

Nobody likes to think about it, but this really is a post apocalyptic movie and we unfortunately are all part of the cast.....

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

People on twitter losing their minds because TRNSMT say they currently have no plans to cancel.

Why would an event 4 months away wanting to wait a little to see how the situation plays out before (potentially) needlessly cancelling something cause a heads gone moment with so many people?!

Apparantly it must be cancelled now because Glastonbury is cancelled.

I'm not going to jump down their throats for not calling it now, but it will be cancelled.  All the bands playing will have already cancelled their corresponding tours.

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

We should make a list now of all the business that need bricks through their windows in a year's time because of their conduct now.

F***, now they'll be panic buying bricks...

I'm sure lots of us agree with this

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

We should also be changing laws to ensure individuals and companies can't use loopholes to dissolve companies and walk away from their responsibilities 

However, I've a strong suspicion we'll be seeing more of this style of management

44 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Oh, we're fcuked, make no mistake about that.

I think anyone with half a brain knew that when Governments decided to trash their economies and senior politicians were happy to watch their wealth be destroyed that this was slightly more serious than "just the flu".

The death toll is undoubtedly going to be horrendous and if and when we come out the other side then the world will have changed dramatically. 

Nobody likes to think about it, but this really is a post apocalyptic movie and we unfortunately are all part of the cast.....

4 percent is the death rate

The post apocalyptic nature will be the total destruction of the deveped worlds economy