Coronavirus (COVID-19)

So schools are shut after tomorrow. My wife is an Early Years Officer and my job, in the eyes of the Govt, is classed as critical/keyworker thingy. She’s been told to come into work on Monday and Tuesday (as have the rest of the EYO’s at her school - for reasons they don’t know why). We have a kid and naturally a lot of the EYO’s have kids as well. Sending them to their elderly grandparents is obviously a no no. Should be interesting how this pans out - my guess is it’ll be a ‘bring your kids to work day’.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

We haven't paid up front for it

Yes, I am aware of this. Although we are actually paying for land through compulsory purchase orders at the moment.

The point is that it is money that was earmarked which can now be put to far better uses.

27 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I have an uncomfortable feeling that all the chat about Italy, older population, kissing culture, families living together etc was just a subconscious attempt to rationalise why it won't happen as badly here, when every indication is that it will.

Maybees aye, maybees naw. Only time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Raithie said:

So schools are shut after tomorrow. My wife is an Early Years Officer and my job, in the eyes of the Govt, is classed as critical/keyworker thingy. She’s been told to come into work on Monday and Tuesday (as have the rest of the EYO’s at her school - for reasons they don’t know why). We have a kid and naturally a lot of the EYO’s have kids as well. Sending them to their elderly grandparents is obviously a no no. Should be interesting how this pans out - my guess is it’ll be a ‘bring your kids to work day’.

Contact the local authority and explain the situation regarding lack of available carers.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

They were recruiting on Facebook as recently as Monday too. A lot of those staff will be young eastern Europeans with nowhere to go.

That's outrageous it's a bigish chain to what's it going to cost them to say you can stay up to a month to sort things out getting home and stuff

Absolute fucking scumbag on Hamilton Facebook page asking which pubs are open this weekend, and claiming that until the govt say you shouldn't go out then they will go out. Implying people are out of order for getting stuck into her and having a right good laugh with her mates about getting steamin etc
Boils my fucking pish
Not right but almost understandable when some Local Authorities still making staff go into offices when they are perfectly capable of working from home.

16 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

A wee bit of levity in the current situation.

My work is fkd, my brother has been sent home from work. Through a contact we managed to get a game of golf at Gleneagles today. (And if you’re wondering what all the footballers are doing at the moment, they’re all there self isolating amongst themselves. I know I know...).

His wee van looked a wee bit out of place in the car park: 

Best caption competition entry we’ve had so far? 

w**k, w**k, Good Guy, w**k 

C809B964-5B70-4886-AFBC-354C1A0C4BC4.jpeg

Scott Brown - Alfredo Morelos - Steven Naismith - Peter Lawell

7 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

They were recruiting on Facebook as recently as Monday too. A lot of those staff will be young eastern Europeans with nowhere to go.

And even if they had somewhere to go they couldn't go there because 1/ there are no flights and 2/ borders are being closed right, left and centre.

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

At least he didn't sugar coat it with fake sympathy. Blaming it on the government was craven though. 

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Would your employer be up for that?

Oh wow, I was making up that last sentence but my wife has just been told that’s the schools suggestion. Can see the little darlings being filled with joy at that prospect. Only for a couple of days mind you. Our sons autistic so hopefully this doesn’t cause a massive issue for him.

The only explanation I heard was that they had a great deal of elderly folk, a lot of people still living with their parents, and, in somewhat clumsy sounding terms, a far more touchy-feely, kissy on the cheek type of society. A lot more physical contact which passed it on.
How much of that is true, fecked if I know. 
My aunt is Italian and has family near Naples, it's certainly true about people still living with parents, and in some cases 3 generations will be living together. Even bigger problems there than there is in the UK for young people trying to get in to the housing market.

1 hour ago, Snafu said:

How are the rich, famous and unable to do anything with out the help coping with all this coronvirus thingy, who gives a turkey???

Except there is a life lesson in here for all you future celebs. Many of them probably won't survive in a zombie apocalypse because they are completely useless outside their bubbles.

Then there's Jared Leto being Jared Leto who's self isolation from the world (nothing to do with COVID-19) and then reconnecting and finding out about this thing called reality was like something out of Zoolander.

JARED LETO (@JaredLeto)

Wow. 12 days ago I began a silent meditation in the desert. We were totally isolated. No phone, no communication etc. We had no idea what was happening outside the facility.

March 17, 2020

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2020/mar/19/gal-gadot-celeb-friends-singing-self-isolation-jared-leto

Then there's Gal Gadot and celeb friends in self isolation, each one singing a part of John Lennon's Imagine. I'm not putting up it here because like me you will suddenly have the urge to stab yourself in the ears with a sharp object. If you want to suffer it BE WARNED - once its seen and heard it can't be unseen or unheard.

Hopefully people (including the morons) will soon appreciate how inconsequential all of these characters really are.

47 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I have an uncomfortable feeling that all the chat about Italy, older population, kissing culture, families living together etc was just a subconscious attempt to rationalise why it won't happen as badly here, when every indication is that it will.

I suspect you're right here. As far as families living together, is this not a feature of our BAME communities ?