Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The NHS value one year of life at something like £30k. Each "life" is valued at about £2.4m by NICE.

I think it's a far more nuanced discussion than that but maybe serves as a starting point.

That's before you look at "quality" of life or happiness too.

Extrapolating those numbers out a bit, 1% of UK GDP would be equivalent to about 10k lives.

I'd go by hospitalisations rather than deaths, the initial lockdown was about the NHS being able to cope, not avoiding excess deaths which we regularly get to some extent in a bad flu season and winter. The "save lives" bit of the slogan was for emotional impact, but they're pretty well bound by it now. Looks like we've learnt how to treat severe cases better now though, and new drugs are coming online, one from AZ. 

image.png.f670ecd0b61ee230e7f90c2877969335.png

We were given a notional timeline; Jean Freeman "one million vaccinations by the end of January"
That's turned out to be a crock of shit, but after all we've been through some sort of equation along the lines of 'X' amount of vaccinations = the lifting of "Y and Z" restrictions is both not unreasonable, and the least we deserve
Isn't it going to be x reduction in deaths and hospitalizations lead to y measures being eased ?

12 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Essentially a guy that everyone agrees talks shite talked some shite and rather being shrugged off as probable shite people are acting as it its been passed into law and is now immutable. 

I think you're referring to a person whom a lot of people believe everything he says and is seen as a representative of the SG.

Therefore what he says is taken as credible and reported on accordingly therefore shaping a lot of peoples opinions.

The fact that he has on numerous occasions been seen to slaver absolute pish is lost on a fair proportion of the general public, especially those who vicariously live their lives on pussbook.

Leitch should take a step back instead of appearing on football radio shows and trying to raise his own profile.  If he does continue to appear then he should dial down the fake hardman rhetoric whilst he is also continuously coming across as a condescending chap.

Edited by Tynierose

20 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Extrapolating those numbers out a bit, 1% of UK GDP would be equivalent to about 10k lives.

Given this was all kickstarted as a reaction to Ferguson's armageddon projection of 500,000 deaths, we should look at this from the view that, over the previous 10 months we have "saved" 440k lives. The cost of treating 440k people for one year at the maximum allowed treatment cost on the NHS would be £13.2b

We've spent almost double that on a test and trace system alone, and it doesn't work.

A colossally disproportionate response.

34 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

FTFY

It's a bold move calling anyone else a sad w****r given the sanctimonious shite you offer at anyone who criticises Leitch or anyone else involved in the more poorly handled aspects of this pandemic.

It's especially ironic given your insistence that going shopping for biscuits in April was a two-person operation. 

Ok - let’s hear it then.

What level of death from illness and disease are you willing to accept?
Are you of the opinion that this isnt already the driving force behind allocation of healthcare funds, research, medicine procurement etc already, before covid ever existed?

Not trying to be a fanny here, but for me a symptom of this whole things has been people treating covid deaths as different to any other deaths and completely ignoring the fact that every year people die from diseases and causes that may be preventable, but the appetite to spend the money simply isnt there.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Are you of the opinion that this isnt already the driving force behind allocation of healthcare funds, research, medicine procurement etc already, before covid ever existed?

Not trying to be a fanny here, but for me a symptom of this whole things has been people treating covid deaths as different to any other deaths and completely ignoring the fact that every year people die from diseases and causes that may be preventable, but the appetite to spend the money simply isnt there.

It's more the view that covid deaths are unacceptable, and must be prevented at absolutely any cost for me.

All other causes of death though, even if they are as a direct result of reduced access to care, are acceptable because "tHeY aRe nOt cOnTaGioUs." It's just their time.

A recruitment company on Indeed is looking for the following:

2 x Car Parking Assistants for their prestigious client based in Forth Valley.  The hours of work ate 8.30am until 4.30pm and you will be responsible for directing people to the right location at the hospital for their COVID vaccinations.

It is an immediate start so you would like to think they have a lot of supply coming but the only thing that concerns me is the hours.  At this time why are they only doing 8 hours surely to get a maximum of people vaccinated they should be running from 7am - 11pm.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's more the view that covid deaths are unacceptable, and must be prevented at absolutely any cost for me.

All other causes of death though, even if they are as a direct result of reduced access to care, are acceptable because "tHeY aRe nOt cOnTaGioUs." It's just their time.

Another thing that I have banged on about, probably too much already. There is no God given right to not die of this particular disease. It may feel somehow more preventable because it's new and wasnt coming to get anyone last year, but it seems pretty evident that its here to stay, and people will be dying from it every year from now on. It's hard to come away from that narrative though when in order to get people to treat it seriously, you have built it up to be far more serious than what it is to huge majority of the population .

I think you're referring to a person whom a lot of people believe everything he says and is seen as a representative of the SG.
Therefore what he says is taken as credible and reported on accordingly therefore shaping a lot of peoples opinions.
The fact that he has on numerous occasions been seen to slaver absolute pish is lost on a fair proportion of the general public, especially those who vicariously live their lives on pussbook.
Leitch should take a step back instead of appearing on football radio shows and trying to raise his own profile.  If he does continue to appear then he should dial down the fake hardman rhetoric whilst he is also continuously coming across as a condescending chap.
You see and hear Leitch and think "fake hardman" dear god !

If folk can't see through him for what he is (basically someone massively over egging his moment in the sun) then surely that's their problem. I doubt there are many either hanging on his every word or taking those words as gospel.

What a state he seems to be getting folk in. Just apply your own interpretation rather than folk reacting to his every utterance thus embellishing his persona.

41 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

On here it seems pretty clear what people think of him, and how much clout he actually has. So it seems a bit strange that we have a good few pages discussing the fact that restrictions will now be in place for the whole of 2021, considering what people think of what he says. On top of that, what he actually said had a qualifier regarding availability and supply of a new vaccine. 

Couple this with the info that we also have people pointing out that a stupid comment by Freeman based on lies from A/z regarding how many vaccine doses they'd deliver was also lies, and somehow this also means that the restrictions will be in place all year. It makes no sense. 

2 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

They should have Dr Pip Whitford do it, she is like a cuddly mammy who doesn't take any shit of the media.

You're confusingly conflating the SNP and the Scottish Government, Dr Whitford isn't a member of government. I think Leitch must play well in the metrics otherwise he would be ditched for Dr Smith.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Another thing that I have banged on about, probably too much already. There is no God given right to not die of this particular disease. It may feel somehow more preventable because it's new and wasnt coming to get anyone last year, but it seems pretty evident that its here to stay, and people will be dying from it every year from now on. It's hard to come away from that narrative though when in order to get people to treat it seriously, you have built it up to be far more serious than what it is to huge majority of the population .

I'm also noticing a shift from the viewpoint that whilst acknoweldging it's extremely unlikely young people will get seriously ill from it, restrictions are necessary to try to keep it spreading to the older, more vulnerable people, to now worrying that once those most vulnerable people are protected by the vaccine, we'll need to keep restrictions in case those same young people can catch it if the vaccine doesn't stop transmission.

1 minute ago, Wee Bully said:

So Bendans question wasn’t what you wanted in an adult conversation?

People weren't interested in having that sort of adult conversation when I was asking it months ago, so you'll forgive me for scoffing at someone asking it now, particularly when the person asking it gives the impression their answer to it would be "none"