Coronavirus (COVID-19)

That's just your opinion. The guys might not agree....
I genuinely haven't seen hate for Leitch elsewhere - it just seems to be a group of tweenie/treenie posters here who have this hard-on hatred for him.

I genuinely don't see why they get so worked up by him - he really is just a PR man for decisions made by politicians.

Welshy's unwavering determination to shout down any criticism of the SG is impressive tbh.
For Freeman's claim to be possible, we'd need to have been vaccinating 125,000 people per week over an 8 week period. That's around 6.5 times as many per week than we have been doing so far, and doesn't factor in the need to also administer the second dose. Now that we've seen how it's gone it was a frankly ludicrous claim, that deserves to be called such.
I will assume, however, that Freeman must have been aware of the numbers that getting to 1m would entail, and therefore the SG must be confident that they have the capacity to administer 125,000 per week if the supplies (most likely the oxford one) are there. This, based on the oxford vaccine being available at the start of January, would allow around 1.5m to be done by the end of March.
So this isn't over as a public health crisis then?

Fecking Santa

Most of the 125 people who tested positive for coronavirus at the Hemelrijck Nursing Home in Mol were infected by the same source, virologist Marc Van Ranst said on Twitter on Friday.

Eighteen deaths have already been registered at the nursing home.

According to the latest tests conducted by the University of Leuven, 97 residents, 17 members of staff and the visiting Saint Nicholas himself carry the same strain of the virus.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I genuinely haven't seen hate for Leitch elsewhere - it just seems to be a group of tweenie/treenie posters here who have this hard-on hatred for him.

I genuinely don't see why they get so worked up by him - he really is just a PR man for decisions made by politicians.

My biggest hate in life is someone speaking to me as though I'm an idiot 

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

We were given a notional timeline; Jean Freeman "one million vaccinations by the end of January"

That's turned out to be a crock of shit, but after all we've been through some sort of equation along the lines of 'X' amount of vaccinations = the lifting of "Y and Z" restrictions is both not unreasonable, and the least we deserve

That was quickly retracted was it not?

We're doing this three week thing now. Maybe they'll get out some good news by then.

6 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Ok - let’s hear it then.

What level of death from illness and disease are you willing to accept?

I'd accept a level that leaves us without a significant level of excess deaths over the course of a year. I'd say significant would be more than 5% or so. But that's just me. How about you? Do you feel a covid death is somehow worse than a death caused by something else (which is implicitly the current government position)?

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Where else do you look? I'm not on any other social media, but a very occasional tweet. My perception is he was selected for his demeanour. The longer it's gone on more people are seeing the flaws. I agree the majority are probably still in the "big Jason and wee Nicola are daein' well camp".

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Unfortunately, you only have to watch the vox-pops on the news to realise that there is significant part of the populace who are.

There's still a lot of "I'm confused by these restrictions" folk out there.

"What on earth does sitting down for a meal mean?!?" "There's an ASDA next door to a Boots one in tier 3, the other in tier 2, which one can I go to?"

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I genuinely haven't seen hate for Leitch elsewhere - it just seems to be a group of sad wànkers here who have this hard-on hatred for him.

FTFY

I'd accept a level that leaves us without a significant level of excess deaths over the course of a year. I'd say significant would be more than 5% or so. But that's just me. How about you? Do you feel a covid death is somehow worse than a death caused by something else (which is implicitly the current government position)?

A better start than TiG’s pathetic offering.

What would the excess deaths be without the current restrictions?

13 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

Ok - let’s hear it then.

What level of death from illness and disease are you willing to accept?

The NHS value one year of life at something like £30k. Each "life" is valued at about £2.4m by NICE.

I think it's a far more nuanced discussion than that but maybe serves as a starting point.

That's before you look at "quality" of life or happiness too.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

FTFY

Do you think he is performing well? I'm a bit conflicted. I understand some people do need spoken to like idiots because they are. But I feel a bit insulted when he, or Swiiney, for example, back track, issue bland, vague statements and present figures that can be quite easily represented as saying something completely different.