Coronavirus (COVID-19)

17 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Heard through my wife that some kind of shielding is going to be implemented from the 26th. Unsure if it'll be the same cohort as before, or if it will just be the extremely vulnerable.

Got a letter today saying not to use public transport, and it doubles as a sick note if my workplace isn't covid safe.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

My local surgery, a large practice with about 6 GPs and a fair number of nurses, seems to be planning to do it much like they handled the flu vaccine, except for them issuing appointments rather than us phoning in to ask for one. They expect to be up and running in the beginning of January. NHS Highland seem to be on the ball with planning well integrated across the providers. Hopefully it's not 24/7, my 93 year old Mother wouldn't relish a 4am appointment.

Obviously no one is advocating getting your 93 year old Mother a 4am appointment, but having the vaccine available at the Louisa Jordan for example and getting it pumped into Ambulance, Fire and Police Staff who generally work nights and the likes of network rail and power/gas staff would be a really effective way of doing it. Overnight operations would obviously be scaled back than yer general vaccine clinic but if someone had an issue with getting vaccinated on a sunday morning or whatever then they need to get a grip. 

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Nah get it 24/7 and pumped into everyone as quickly as possible. A few 3am inconvenient appointments are a small price to pay.

I doubt we'll be getting supplies in quantities that would justify that anytime soon. Finding the staff to run it would be tricky too. If they can run it at fast as the flu jags we'd be done by late Spring without going 24/7.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I doubt we'll be getting supplies in quantities that would justify that anytime soon. Finding the staff to run it would be tricky too. If they can run it at fast as the flu jags we'd be done by late Spring without going 24/7.

Not everyone gets a flu jag and the NHS is a 24/7 operation so its not too much of a stretch to expect shift working. 

21 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Well they say that's what's caused infections to rocket in the se and Wales 

More contagious does not mean it's more deadly. More people getting infected but the rate of hospitalisation or death doesn't appear to be rising with it.

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

An island that isn't enroute to anywhere. They could afford to put every arrival up in a hotel for 2 weeks, and did.

It really makes no difference. We had the opportunity to isolate our island and we didn't because we're big greedy b*****ds and making money is more important than the health of the population. There was no will from our government to stop the virus getting here and we've done a terrible job of containing it.

8 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Obviously no one is advocating getting your 93 year old Mother a 4am appointment, but having the vaccine available at the Louisa Jordan for example and getting it pumped into Ambulance, Fire and Police Staff who generally work nights 

I'm all in favour of this..

fire.jpg.aca95fd2b9874d605620470a00db3bcd.jpg

0_Ambulance-S4.jpg.189f050f63c03cc188f918f20b3a5353.jpg

polis.jpg.413d3c7819f6bf8a3c9aa85235f88c21.jpg

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
23 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:
Read my lips. It's '2 jags' Prescott

Of course it was, I was racking my brains trying to remember. That works equally well though

There was likely a "2 Jabs Prescott" headline when he punched that Cuntryside Alliance lad who through an egg at him.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
24 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:
Read my lips. It's '2 jags' Prescott

Of course it was, I was racking my brains trying to remember. That works equally well though

It started as Two Jags, but became Two Jabs at this point...

story.papers.cnn.jpg

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I genuinely cannot understand anyone with a "the way we currently do it is good enough" attitude. Lets make a bit of effort ffs. We have been waiting a long time and pinning a lot of hopes on a vaccine. Now we have one we are happy our lives to remain a fucking wreck indefinitely whilst we potter along waiting our turn. Despairing at the lack of interest in thinking outside the box here tbh

This strain has apparently been doing the rounds potentially as early as the end of October in the UK and is most likely already circulating in Europe. If this strain means much more cases, much more people in hospital and much more death than the previous strains then we'd already see those hikes in figures. 

As of 22/12
Daily cases in Uk : 36, 804 an increase of 18, 354 in a week.
If that rate of increase continues it’s not difficult to see where it will end.
Something drastic had to be done, especially over a holiday period where people are travelling so much.

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I genuinely cannot understand anyone with a "the way we currently do it is good enough" attitude. Lets make a bit of effort ffs. We have been waiting a long time and pinning a lot of hopes on a vaccine. Now we have one we are happy our lives to remain a fucking wreck indefinitely whilst we potter along waiting our turn. Despairing at the lack of interest in thinking outside the box here tbh

How do you suggest we speed up vaccine production and distribution? It's probably the biggest global medical effort in history, and many fold faster than it's ever been done before.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

So covid can differentiate and know you’re a mourner and therefore allowed to have a drink, yet there’s the whole “is soup a substantial enough meal to have with a glass of alcohol?”. Yet another rule that’s a farce    

In the name of suffering fūck, give it a rest.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

How do you suggest we speed up vaccine production and distribution? It's probably the biggest global medical effort in history, and many fold faster than it's ever been done before.

Well see the fact that its only seemingly being given mon-fri daytimes, thats not good enough and when supplies increase it’s really not acceptable. 

In a long thread with numerous mental conclusions, none more mental has been arrived at than "a Tory wouldn't say something unless it was true"
A politician would never say something is out of control im not saying they don't lie just that its not normal political speak.
They're spooked by this and its not a smokescreen.

21 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Well see the fact that its only seemingly being given mon-fri daytimes, thats not good enough and when supplies increase it’s really not acceptable. 

I just think the task of delivering the jags is overstated. When you think in terms of millions it sounds huge, but when you break it down locally it's not that massive. Our surgery had a few days set aside over the last couple of months to exclusively give out flu vaccines to the over 65s, that's about a million if you scale it up to the whole of Scotland. There's a tent round the corner in the Council HQ carpark doing Covid testing, there's plenty room well away on the other end to duplicate it for vaccines. 

Edited by welshbairn

33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

More contagious does not mean it's more deadly. More people getting infected but the rate of hospitalisation or death doesn't appear to be rising with it.

Hospitalisations are rising though. It's not about it being more deadly, it's about more people taking up hospital beds if more people are infected. If it's true that children catch and spread this more easily, then it wouldn't be expected for hospitalisations to rise now, as kids don't tend to get as seriously ill - however, when they ultimately pass it on, then that's when the problems start - and as we've found out to our cost before, it's too late to act once hospitalisations and deaths are rising at pace.

Deaths usually lag hospitalisations by a few weeks.

32 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I suppose it depends on supply too - if we have tons of vaccines just sitting waiting to get fired into veins that's an issue and we should fucking speed things up. If we're waiting for the supplier to deliver the vaccines though, it doesn't really matter if we have the infrastructure sitting there 24 hours a day ready to get injecting. I don't know if it's the case that we have piles of vaccines just waiting for arms.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Well production doesn't seem to be an issue, distribution does. Tales of wasted vaccine do my job for me in terms of how that could be better. However, I think this is a time to throw everything we have at it. And I don't think its reasonable to suggest the same methodology as flu vaccines, or waitning for a GP letter meets the standard of "everything we have". Im not a logistics expert and I can accept its a tough job. But think of the stakes