Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Possibly not, entirely depends on the type of mutation.
The above reads like you think that a mutation must be a bad one, which isn’t the case. You’ve even correctly pointed out that it has been mutating constantly since the start of the pandemic.
No, I was refuting the claim that this is all a smokescreen because its been mutating since the beginning. Yes it has but at a very different rate.

Of course how much we need to worry depends on how bad the strain is. Unfortunately if we waited to find out before doing anything it would be too late.

I couldn’t give a shite about maskless sturgeon and i also didn’t care about cummings and his trip to the castle, closing down all social interactions and places where they happen should be more than enough ( like we had in june and early july - phase 2) telling people to stay indoors should only be a last resort if we are at war or something similar

So the vaccine expert who has studied all the pzizer papers (not Tony Blair) states that by the time the 2nd dose takes effect to 95%, only having the 1st dose would have a 91% effect anyway.
It appears to be a no brainer to double the amount of needy people being vaccinated on these numbers. Against losing 4% effectivety.

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Whilst it's not a big deal, it's certainly a newsworthy story, when you spend every day telling people what they can/should do you've got to be whiter than white. 

No, you absolutely don't.  We're all human. What you have to be is ready to acknowledge any mistakes either by action or, in this case, omission. Sturgeon has done this and (imho) expressed sincere regret at the incident. Something that fucking rag hasn't managed to do in over thirty years since Hillsborough, to name only one of the occasions they've earned their entirely apposite nickname.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

It's at the heart of SNP central and the opportunity to call the FM a hypocrite.

I'm sure most of us have forgotten to put a mask at some point this year.

I certainly have - and I'm an HS&F Adviser now - encouraging compliance is literally part of my job.

So the vaccine expert who has studied all the pzizer papers (not Tony Blair) states that by the time the 2nd dose takes effect to 95%, only having the 1st dose would have a 91% effect anyway.
It appears to be a no brainer to double the amount of needy people being vaccinated on these numbers. Against losing 4% effectivety.

Here’s an idea from a numpty on a fitbaw forum- highest risk and most exposure = 2 jags
Everyone else = 1

38 minutes ago, Steven W said:

This new strain - supposedly more transmissible than before. But also no evidence to suggest it'll make people any more I'll than before.

I wonder if (trying to be optimistic here) it might in fact prove to be milder than before (ultimately for a virus to survive and multiply it can't afford to be too deadly). Is it possible that in a couple of months this may actually prove to be a positive turn of events?

Or am I trying too hard!

Hopefully, though it's too soon to tell, it could be more dangerous. The steep rise in hospitalisations in the South East isn't encouraging.

27 minutes ago, Mr X said:

It has been mutating since the start at a rate of one or two mutations a month. This variation has shown 17 mutations all at once.

Probably not worth worrying about though, eh?

All data so far points to it being more contagious but nothing I've seen suggests its more likely to hospitalise people or kill them.

So aye, probably not worth locking down the entire country for another month. Like I say, no adult discussion on this, we've to accept something scary (17 mutations!!!1!) is happening and sit at home, depressed as f**k, while the government pretend they have a handle on it.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

She clearly does.  This was hardly a big one but surely you can understand why it's newsworthy?  When Boris's father fucked up he made the news did he not?  

Which time?In the shop? On the Tube Platform? Flying to Greece? And, honestly, do you think the entitled old cúnt "fuked up" or just didn't believe he had to follow rules designed for the masses?

Absolutely none of these blatant contraventions received anything like the coverage afforded Sturgeon's error, which she has addressed immediately and apparently sincerely.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

All data so far points to it being more contagious but nothing I've seen suggests its more likely to hospitalise people or kill them.

So aye, probably not worth locking down the entire country for another month. Like I say, no adult discussion on this, we've to accept something scary (17 mutations!!!1!) is happening and sit at home, depressed as f**k, while the government pretend they have a handle on it.

Well, more contagious means greater liklihood of infecting vulnerable people who otherwise would not be infected under current restrictions, and therefore you get to more hospitalizations and deaths even with a strain that is no more dangerous.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

What do you mean its a smokescreen?
The latest increase in cases and greater percentage of the new variant says that its more transmissible. Yes its possible that theyre using this as a blunt tool to stop people travelling at Christmas time but its for a reason. How are people still thinking this is a hoax or something?
Some prank.

As per my previous post, it might be more transmissable but nothing shows its going to kill or hospitalise more people, which is why we have tough restrictions.

I'm not saying the mutations aren't real.

Tony Blair appears to be arguing we should give everyone one shot of the vaccine when the prevailing opinion seems to be that you need to give two doses for it to be fully effective.
Is he not saying that everyone should be given 1 shot to give everybody some level of protection before they start working through everyone again with the 2nd shot?

I think the current plan is for priority groups to get both shots before some groups will even have had one.

Just now, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Which time?In the shop? On the Tube Platform? Flying to Greece? And, honestly, do you think the entitled old cúnt "fuked up" or just didn't believe he had to follow rules designed for the masses?

Absolutely none of these blatant contraventions received anything like the coverage afforded Sturgeon's error, which she has addressed immediately and apparently sincerely.

None of that changes the fact that people in a certain position are held against a higher standard than the rest of us.  Rightly so in my opinion. 

Again I will say her mistake is hardly heinous but it is newsworthy.  

2 minutes ago, renton said:

Well, more contagious means greater liklihood of infecting vulnerable people who otherwise would not be infected under current restrictions, and therefore you get to more hospitalizations and deaths even with a strain that is no more dangerous.

Uh huh. None of that means tougher tier 4 restrictions are required for the entire population. Shield the vulnerable, continue vaccinating. 

1 minute ago, renton said:

Exactly why far greater scrutiny should be getting poured onto vaccine delivery, why all options should be getting explored rather than some shitty online booking system for NHS staff to get round to at some point, and why Sturgeon was out of order getting all shirty with Richard Leonard yesterday.

Once again, the people who lead us now the bottleneck to the resumption of normal life and the end of restrictions because getting the vaccine out there is firmly their remit. No more fucking excuses from them, no more whining and guilt tripping the public. I have seen nothing to convince me that everything that can be done to speed this up is being done.