Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Aye given that there will definitely be bad outcomes for some kids then I don't see why people are so angry about this. 

Closing schools isn't going to get us back to normal any quicker or get hospitality open. It's a trade that fucks over loads of kids to keep a far smaller number of people in their 70s watching the telly for a couple more years

Aye given that there will definitely be bad outcomes for some kids then I don't see why people are so angry about this. 
Closing schools isn't going to get us back to normal any quicker or get hospitality open. It's a trade that fucks over loads of kids to keep a far smaller number of people in their 70s watching the telly for a couple more years
It's a fine line to walk, without being callous, to talk about the consequences of this virus but I would certainly agree that they are losing the run of themselves here with the way they are talking about it and the language they are using.

Still no talk of shielding.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Far too snippy a response to Leonard there regarding vaccine rollout from Sturgeon for me.

Quite literally, the route out of the crisis is in their hands now and every day we go on, theres legitimate questions to be asked on that score.

At work and unable to watch, what was the question and response? I agree with your general sentiments so far around vaccinations.

Just now, Ron Aldo said:
6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
Sturgeon saying they want to make tier 4 restrictions even harsher and potentially make breaches into law.

By doing what? We can't go anywhere, do anywhere or see anyone. What else is left?

Tier 4 you can still see people outdoors, certain industries still open. Only way to make it stricter is to go back to same as March time lockdown.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

At work and unable to watch, what was the question and response? I agree with your general sentiments so far around vaccinations.

He fired out a big long winded question and among it was a spiel about his if its 70% more transmissible, then will we increase testing capacity, t and t, and vaccine capacity by 70%. 

She seemed to get her hackles up straight away, but the end of it was that vaccine delivery is purely driven by supply and we will go as fast as we can. 

Forgive me for simplifying it, but if ther is still vaccine left, then it could be going faster. 

1 minute ago, Ron Aldo said:
7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
Sturgeon saying they want to make tier 4 restrictions even harsher and potentially make breaches into law.

By doing what? We can't go anywhere, do anywhere or see anyone. What else is left?

exactly, wtf is that all about, do they want to piss us off even more? we've already seen from earlier in the year that ultra strict lockdowns don't make much difference overall unless you take the china approach,  if you ask me spain and Italy were a wee bit too keen to return to their Authoritarian heritage  

One for @Bairnardo to hopefully share my seethe in.

Listening to BBC radio earlier and there was a guy on who works in events, specifically music industry I think. Talking about rapid testing as a route to get events on in 2021, but then at one point stated that the entirety of the population needed vaccinated before full attendance at gigs, sports etc. Assuming (hoping) he just doesn’t understand and has assumed that to be the case, and not that they’ve been given that sort of hint from government, but it would be absolutely mental if that ended up being even close to the truth.

4 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
10 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Close more shops (eg hardware or garden centres).

Schools untouched of course.

5 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Lights out at 9 pm

No talking

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Listening to BBC radio earlier and there was a guy on who works in events, specifically music industry I think. Talking about rapid testing as a route to get events on in 2021, but then at one point stated that the entirety of the population needed vaccinated before full attendance at gigs, sports etc. Assuming (hoping) he just doesn’t understand and has assumed that to be the case, and not that they’ve been given that sort of hint from government, but it would be absolutely mental if that ended up being even close to the truth.

Once the first 6 or 7 priority groups have been vaccinated then we should all be living in the equivalent of tier 0 nationwide at a bare minimum.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

That just utterly ridiculous. The entirety of the population shouldnt even be getting offered the fucking vaccine never mind required to have it. 

You were correct in assuming that would get my blood pressure up, so thanks for that!

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Well no because if the new variant takes hold and increases the R rate by 0.4 as the FM has just claimed, then governments will be faced with a choice between exponential growth or closing schools (R value = 0.4) in the New Year. There is no version of lockdown everything but the schools that will keep the infection rate below 1: even in April it was still about 0.6/0.7. The elephant in the room is simply too big to ignore now.

This is why neither government has actually confirmed that schools will in fact return and why they've punted it back as well. The mood music is pointing in one direction only.

Edited by vikingTON

My wife and I are key workers with an 8 year old son. During lockdown earlier in the year we were both working from home however my wife returned to her work place after the summer holidays. She works in a school so did the bulk of the home schooling when we were both at home. Should there be a situation where she'll be back at work and our son has option to be off you're rooting tooting he'll be getting punted to school/Hub (whatever it is called). 

9 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It is remarkable that we're now *checks notes* into day 274 of lockdown restrictions, have a vaccine being rolled out and better treatment than before. Have everyone masked up and taking hygiene so seriously that flu has all but vanished. Yet we're on the verge of going back into exactly the same situation we were in, in March when we were given a three week lockdown to help the NHS prepare.

I followed the first lockdown basically to the word. I went out once a day for a walk, I went for 78 days where the only place other than my house I went was Aldi. I didn't see my grandparents for months despite usually visiting them every week. I literally existed to work. Apart from when I was furloughed. Then I existed to clean the house every day in an attempt to stay sane. 

In September I was in a really bad place with it all and, to be honest, if the football season hadn't returned then I think I would've just got worse. I wasn't sleeping, I was really anxious all the time, I had a constant headache, I was tetchy and felt like I hadn't switched off for months. I really, really, can't face going back to that.

*goes back to making transfer threads*