Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, cyderspaceman said:

This thread is 'just for fun'. Nobody in a position of authority is acting on anything posted on here. Thank fcuk. We are merely bouncing the ball around and in the process hopefully getting some idea of how to react to all of this.  I really don't see anyone claiming to have any level of expertise. 

Now please go and gargle some pish  while singing the national anthem as I've read on P&B that it will cure the virus.

We should all sing the new Bono song to keep our spirits up.

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Ultra extreme yes, unattainable I don't think so.

I think we're in a pretty extreme situation currently. Which is going to unfortunately get worse.

Out of interest. Once this situation has improved what would you suggest?

Anything or just carry on again?

Or thank the Chinese for their virus?

No.2. 

Just like you.

5 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

So, no chance of avoiding the NHS being overrun at all then? No ‘flattening of the sombrero peak’. Grim stuff if true.

We can slow it down, or we can expand capacity. It also isn't spreading evenly throughout the country, so some parts might not get overrun, but yes, I'd say, especially after visiting Tesco today, that things look grim 

52 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

The ones who don’t have any cases?

Are there still some countries with no cases?

Places like North Korea, who dont have any cases because, you know, they aren't actually testing anyone.

As I say every day, reading into the figures as anything important is utterly pointless, as about 90% of the worlds population havent been tested.

This "OH GOD THE UK HAS THE FASTEST GROWING AMOUNT OF CASES! WE'RE ALL DOOMED" is just stupid when you've got Countries who barely test anyone each day while the UK carries out thousands.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

This "OH GOD THE UK HAS THE FASTEST GROWING AMOUNT OF CASES! WE'RE ALL DOOMED" is just stupid when you've got Countries who barely test anyone each day while the UK carries out thousands.

And conversely there are places like Germany that are doing much better testing than the UK and probably have fewer cases than us in reality, yet have enacted more draconian restrictions.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

HIV/AIDS originated in Africa, Swine flu originated in USA/ Mexico I believe, one of the Cholera pandemics from India.  I'm not sure, but possibly China being such a vast country is why a couple of these viruses have emerged from there?

The above is just from a brief search, I don't have any additional knowlededge on this.

Its a part of nature that viruses mutate, and periodically ones emerge that are especially harmful to humans.

How we deal with it?  I'm just guessing, but I suppose all we can do is trust the medical and science experts' advice and do as guided/ instructed or the whole gig's fucked and it would rumble on for a long time.  Which it could well do anyway.  What we know now is nothing compared to what we'll know about this virus in even just a month's time, it will change so rapidly.  

You like to think in a generation's time If something like this emerges again, we would be far more open to believing the potential seriousness of the situation.  But I doubt it.  The problem is people won't disrupt their skiing holidays, trips away etc until it's right on their doorstep again.  

You cant really win with this type of situation. If you bring measures in very early and stave it off then everyone complains it was all a fuss about nothing and an overreaction.  Look at swine flu or SARS.. most of us probably just thought of it as affecting people elsewhere and didn't impact on our lives in the slightest.  I know I was in that category, and barely paid attention to it.  If you don't take measures and it hits the population like now, then you get "why didn't they act sooner?"  Lose lose.

Last couple of paragraphs I agree with. I've never said anything to the contrary.

On Chinese viruses

Quick search shows

Asian flu 1957, 70,000 deaths

Sars 2002, 813 deaths of only 8437 infected.

And with Sars eating bat was the start of it, seem familiar?

Edited by BingMcCrosby

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Places like North Korea, who dont have any cases because, you know, they aren't actually testing anyone.

North Korea will have done testing but only after everyone was advised by Dear Leader (or whatever he is called) that it would be unpatriotic to have the virus.

Those guilty of treason would naturally suffer the consequences.

Considering the schools are still open for another 2 days, I doubt this.

It seems to come from a mouth breather on Twitter who saw tanks being transported on lorries and posted it as evidence of lockdown.

Full lockdown will come, but it’ll be after Friday.

1 hour ago, The_Craig said:

Digging out the patents for the Manley ventilator as we speak.

We still have one in use in the hyperbaric chamber. No electronics, all mechanical. No spark risk.