Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The media caters way too much to irrationality, because that helps sell papers and drive TV ratings.

When COVID gets turned into a bigger crisis than it really is (an IFR of 0.2% would have been viewed as a massive relief back in January, and really does put it in unusually bad flu season territory), the NHS stops focussing on other matters like cancer screening to the extent they normally would be and people will die as a consequence in the years ahead, who will often also be fit 50 somethings. 

Public health decisions on how best to balance out the available resources and health issues should not be driven by what dominates the modern 24/7 cable news cycle and gives attention craving politicians the limelight and a chance to micromanage people's lives to an absurd extent.

This is different though, the danger is not and hasn't ever been from the mortality rate, the danger is from how contagious it is and from how it is spread mostly by those with no or very mild symptoms & the long incubation period.  If you were to take the last two parts away and it was just a case of only catching it from someone who is visibly unwell coughing and sneezing all over you, then this entire thing would  be a complete non issue, those who are eldery or vulnerable already know to avoid such people, and people who have a relative in a care home or with a severe underlying health condition know not to go and get close to them when they themselves are sick.

I'm really not a big fan of lockdowns at all but if we did just leave people to make their own decisions a lot of people would inevitable think " ach f**k this I feel absolutely fine , i'm carrying on as normal" and we would likely have a horrific death rate

Also perhaps one for the CCOM thread,  the rising cases throughout autumn  have nothing to do with people "just not following the rules"  the rules were not ever meant to stop people catching it, that's impossible, instead they are to mitigate the spread . that way you only infect 6 people instead of 60.  only half your office gets it instead of everyone & so on

On a similar vein, can I add fuckers who use the self scan checkouts, pay for everything then decide to spend 5 minutes packing instead of doing so as they scan shit. Seethe inducing.

I’m going to throw a counter argument that if you just scan it all through, pay and then pack it you do not get any unexpected item in bagging area alerts. Although I only ever go to self scan with a basket shop anyway so never usually need a bag.

4 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I’m going to throw a counter argument that if you just scan it all through, pay and then pack it you do not get any unexpected item in bagging area alerts. Although I only ever go to self scan with a basket shop anyway so never usually need a bag.

I've yet to encounter a self-service machine that doesn't take a hissy fit that it can't detect a bag after you've just fucking scanned a fucking bag.

People who don't use the scan as you shop things absolutely baffle me. Actively choosing to pack your trolley, unpack it onto a conveyor belt, to then bag it as the cashier is sliding your goods towards you quicker than Tetriminos @ Level 19, when you could bag it calmly as you shop, pay for it in seconds, and leave is mental behaviour IMO.

35 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

...I'm really not a big fan of lockdowns at all but if we did just leave people to make their own decisions a lot of people would inevitable think " ach f**k this I feel absolutely fine , i'm carrying on as normal" and we would likely have a horrific death rate...

This will probably prompt some simpleton to post a cherrypicked Sweden vs Finland comparison and think they are being very clever. There is an example of a significantly different approach being taken from the western European norm in a country where unusually public health decisions legally had to be made by public health professionals rather than by the politicians with an outcome on cumulative mortality that was better than the UK's rather than horrifically worse. The jury is very much out on how effective the nanny state approach really was.

7 hours ago, Wee Bully said:

I watched the interview, and it would have been a lot less confusing if Gary Robertson had let her get any more than 3 words out at a time - absolutely awful interviewing style

Did she manage to put three words together? Speaks volumes that the Nat rage is aimed at Robertson and not the ex communist inadequate, that is Freelunch. Yet you wonder why people don’t vote for an Indy Scotland. Thankfully it’s on a football forum and not in “real life”.

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you live in a cave?

With limited access to the national route network going by the username. 

Can't believe an adult who has ever watched TV in the UK doesn't know any of those faces.

Did she manage to put three words together? Speaks volumes that the Nat rage is aimed at Robertson and not the ex communist inadequate, that is Freelunch. Yet you wonder why people don’t vote for an Indy Scotland. Thankfully it’s on a football forum and not in “real life”.

Minter.

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

People who don't use the scan as you shop things absolutely baffle me. Actively choosing to pack your trolley, unpack it onto a conveyor belt, to then bag it as the cashier is sliding your goods towards you quicker than Tetriminos @ Level 19, when you could bag it calmly as you shop, pay for it in seconds, and leave is mental behaviour IMO.

I've never actually used one of those scan and go things. How do you pay etc? 

2 hours ago, dorlomin said:

katie.jpg.b78fccbf0a529b7323c280652168c8b3.jpg

100% would bang Katie and her three friends.