Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Thought you steered clear of this thread? Think the levels get reviewed weekly on Tuesdays. If the OxfordAZ vaccine gets approved by MHRA next week access to Newtown Park might not be that far off given the Falkirk LA area already has relatively low rates on COVID cases. Although people talk about it only having 70% effectiveness, nobody in the trials got severe COVID symptoms after receiving the OxfordAZ vaccine, and it would be much easier to ramp up the rate of vaccinations with both OxfordAZ and Pfizer available in a UK context.

I'd be surprised if they roll out the Oxford vaccine so quickly being as they don't have enough evidence to prove whether the half dose or full dose is more effective, and what dose should be given on the second jab. I'm not saying they won't, just that I'd rather wait until they test it a bit more. Shouldn't take long given what's happening in America.

17 hours ago, virginton said:

We don't have to vaccinate 50 million people before returning to normal, not even remotely. Because the infection is in fact harmless for the vast majority of the population.

It should be a straightforward trade-off between the costs of trashing the economy and people's liberties every day and the social costs of serious infections/deaths. Once you vaccinate health care workers so there is no impact on front line staffing and the coffin dodgers who account for the overwhelming majority of deaths, the second part of that equation collapses in value. The costs of lockdowns stay the same and so they belong in the bin.

If people choose to continue shielding until they get a vaccine then they should be free to do so. The current restrictions should be lifted though. If that means that a handful 50 year old fatties get an unlucky break before their vaccine arrives then that's just tough luck.

We don't even have any guarantee that these vaccines will give anything other than a short-term protection against coronavirus, but aye we can return to normal. Things will hopefully start to return to normal by spring, because there will have been a big fall in the numbers of infections and a significant number of elderly or at risk people are vaccinated. None of your daft outrage is going to change that. 

We've just had two posters saying they've lost people at the age of 50 & 59 (a very fit & healthy 59), but hey we should just lift the restrictions and say tough luck. And you can't be that dim that you can't see that not all of the hundreds of people being admitted to hospital on a daily basis, plus the thousands that have been ill at home mean its not just a harmless to the vast majority, just because they haven't died from it.

Or maybe you are. You think it's lockdown that's trashing the economy and not the fact that there's a pretty infectious virus that is causing thousands of people to die and thousands more to be hospitalised.

16 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:
17 hours ago, Kneal Down Caster said:
What is the schedule over the next few weeks for tier reviews ? I’m in Renfrewshire which is tier 4. I believe this is up until 11 Dec. If we do or don’t move tiers when is the next pre xmas / pre new year reviews ??

I believe (hope) all areas in tier 4 will be at least moved back to tier 3 on the 11th. Although nothing would surprise me.

Didn't they say at the time that level four would last for 3 weeks and that after the 11th everywhere would move down and the only question would be if they dropped to level 2 or 3? Places like Glasgow and Lanarkshire were at around 300 cases per 100k population and are now sitting at 150 per 100k, but doesn't look that promising for the overall numbers dropping a huge amount more before Christmas.

55 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Is anyone else collecting covid related materials as a future investment? Like the pamphlets from the government etc? I've a government issued covid test unopened just to see if it has any value in the future. 

Our Scout group made a 'time capsule' this year, containing all sorts of daily bits and bobs along with a heap of Covid-related stuff.  Hidden under the new hall floor for somebody to randomly find whenever the next floor is required in a few more decades (possibly in a pandemic of their own, using lockdown as the perfect opportunity to trash the place again).  

16 hours ago, 101 said:

Just found out my pal died of Covid aged 50 f**k the virus and f**k this year.

Sorry to hear that, it really rams it home when it's someone you know.

15 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

f**k sake mate, sorry for your loss.

Grim.

Woman I work with, lost her father-in-law a few weeks ago. 59, fit as a flea, no underlying health issues.

Stuck in the house until the 15th after Mrs LH Developed symptoms on Wednesday morning. To be fair though, we got a test booked for that afternoon and the result on Thursday night.

I know a few people who have died from it, but all were over 70 and one had other health issues. Didn't know anyone who died or was particularly ill back in March/April, but know a lot more people who have been pretty ill from it recently. The classic is a woman in her 30's who went on the anti-mask protest at George Square, went off ill a week or two after it and is still off and says she feels as if she's been hit by a bus. No idea if she's changed her mind about wearing a mask or not. A guy at work who's in his late 50's ended up in intensive care and he's been left with lung damage and has no idea if and when he'll be fit to come back to work. Mostly though it's just people that have been ill to the extent of a really bad cold, or the flu, but its noticeable that most still feel very tired for a while after they've been ill.

Aye there definitely seems to be a lot more people I know having it this time around, or at least having it confirmed this time around as who knows the extent of the first time.

Everyone so far who has had it and survived have mentioned how knackering it is even for weeks after and they were only suffering what would be described as 'mild symptoms'.

19 hours ago, s_dog said:

We've got to vaccinate over 50 million people, and just days after getting the news one single vaccine has been passed for use, and confirmation we're getting delivery of the first batch, which'll vaccinate up to 400,000, and some eejits already moaning about how the goalposts are being shifted 😂

We're vaccinating an entire country. Even the Germans admit they expect it to take them until 2022.

The Germans are doing the vaccinations? You go first.

15 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Its my modus operandi.

Get that looked at whenever you're getting your Covid jab.

39 minutes ago, s_dog said:

Didn't they say at the time that level four would last for 3 weeks and that after the 11th everywhere would move down and the only question would be if they dropped to level 2 or 3? Places like Glasgow and Lanarkshire were at around 300 cases per 100k population and are now sitting at 150 per 100k, but doesn't look that promising for the overall numbers dropping a huge amount more before Christmas.

When announcing the Level 4 Protection Measures being introduced to some areas, the First Minister said this would end on 11 December. Not it would be reviewed. She said it would end.

When announcing the Level 4 Protection Measures being introduced to some areas, the First Minister said this would end on 11 December. Not it would be reviewed. She said it would end.
You were saying......BBC News - Covid in Scotland: Level 4 restrictions 'could remain after 11 December'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55206120

1 hour ago, Flure said:

I've learned to take anything they say with a pinch of salt. Saying that, there would be an outcry if they decided to keep areas in Tier 4 when she was at pains to say they would be lifted on the 11th 

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Our Scout group made a 'time capsule' this year, containing all sorts of daily bits and bobs along with a heap of Covid-related stuff.  Hidden under the new hall floor for somebody to randomly find whenever the next floor is required in a few more decades (possibly in a pandemic of their own, using lockdown as the perfect opportunity to trash the place again).  

^^^

1a2cecac7ba24f3776393867d08ea427.jpg

50 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

You were saying......BBC News - Covid in Scotland: Level 4 restrictions 'could remain after 11 December'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-55206120

I thought at the time that it was a massive mistake when Sturgeon said Level 4 would definitely be lifted. I didn't see how she could possibly take it off the table with any certainty. This would be just another idiotic u-turn.

18 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I've learned to take anything they say with a pinch of salt. Saying that, there would be an outcry if they decided to keep areas in Tier 4 when she was at pains to say they would be lifted on the 11th 

....and when the new case numbers in all LA areas are now well below what was alleged to be the level 4 trigger point. If they do a u-turn with vaccination already in progress it will show once and for all that they are driven only by opinion polls and focus groups on this stuff.