ICTChris

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Its from the WHO guidelines for an influenza pandemic.

There's no evidence masks reduce transmission of flu (there's none either that they actually reduce transmission of covid either) so i've no idea why you suddenly want masks for the flu season. If they worked then we'd have been wearing them already, especially after 2017/18.

A cultural change is required if we want people not to go to work / out whilst coughing and spluttering. And that starts with employers not being dicks about people declaring themselves unfit for work.

So when the WHO say that masks are recommended for symptomatic they are what, lying? Surely they have some effect. But I agree a change is required hopefully that will see folk taking time off when they need it for a whole range of issues not just cold/ flu.

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

China going for the small task of vaccinating 1.4 Billion people by the end of next year.

2019-06-12-hong-kong-bullets-03.jpg?itok

Piece of pish!

1 minute ago, 101 said:

So when the WHO say that masks are recommended for symptomatic they are what, lying? Surely they have some effect. But I agree a change is required hopefully that will see folk taking time off when they need it for a whole range of issues not just cold/ flu.

I mean they explain the reasoning in the very same picture you quoted. Essentially they don't work (there are many papers on this), but because the explanation of how they could work is plausible, it will give the public the impression something is being done.

39 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its absolutely wonderful seeing all these people from the tory heartlands upset. 

They are hardly Tory heartlands. I don’t think there is anything wrong with pointing out the absurdity of this tier system. It’s glaringly obvious that she’s playing politics, keeping areas in the same tier as their neighbours with 4 times the infection rate. 

7 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

...If they worked then we'd have been wearing them already, especially after 2017/18...

They've been doing it in Japan and other Asian countries for a long time. The flu has been deliberately downplayed as a public health issue in western countries to the extent that you can't make a comparison between the mortality rates of COVID-19 and influenza pandemics on here without having scientifically illiterate posters taking umbrage.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

They've been doing it in Japan and other Asian countries for a long time.

That doesn't mean they work, though

There’s a story in the Sun today that the Test and Protect app has been performing significantly worse than previously thought.

50 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That doesn't mean they work, though

My understanding is that the issue that has discouraged mask use in western countries is more that you have to use them properly for there to be a net positive effect rather than there being an overall lack of efficacy when the instructions are followed.

I've had the app switched on for a month now and it's not buzzed once.

I was so much better at Pokémon Go.

Just picking up this absolutely hilarious statement by Dido Harding:

“As schools came back we saw demand significantly outstrip [the] planned capacity delivery,” she said, adding a similar surge in demand was seen in Scotland. “None of us were able to predict that in advance,” she said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/10/nhs-test-and-trace-dido-harding-says-scheme-failed-to-predict-demand

It's utterly inexplicable that the scheme failed to foresee a spike in demand at the start of autumn. You had plenty of students returning to school and university as well as an increasing number of people heading back to work all at the same time. A perfect recipe alone for an increase in the spread of viruses and demand for testing. At this time of year, especially with students returning to school, all sorts of bugs and viruses are spread with many of them having similar symptoms to those listed for COVID-19.

The UK (and Scottish) Government firing ahead and opening more of the country up and turbo charging it with the EOTHO scheme encouraged folk to head to pubs, restaurants, cafes etc leading to spikes in cases before the schools, universities etc opened up.

With more and more folk able to travel to other countries than they were previously able to, and with some of these countries seeing spikes in infections, returning travellers would of course want to get tested to find out if they had contracted the virus so there will be more demand for testing.

There's been a lot of discussions about the effects on mental health from this pandemic. Anxiety levels are sky high for a lot of folk and can mimic and accentuate some of the symptoms of COVID-19 therefore, ahead of returning to work or school, this would likely drive demand for testing.

Hancock and Johnson continually boasted about how good their test and trace system was and that on the spot testing would be available for anyone who wanted it leading people to believe that anyone who wanted to get tested could get tested. And to top it all off the utter moron herself Harding told people that anyone who "just wasn't feeling right" should go and get tested.

But yeah, apart from any of that, no way to predict an upsurge in demand for testing :rolleyes:

I for one cannot wait to see how the government accidentally contaminates every sample of Vaccine in January.

6 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I for one cannot wait to see how the government accidentally contaminates every sample of Vaccine in January.

No not that.  The vaccines will be driven from Germany in January but bizarrely there will be a huge unforseen traffic jam in Kent and all the vaccines will be spoilt before they get any further.

Given the case loads seemed so low on Monday and tuesday, are we expecting a shedload of cases today?

21 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

They need to hand over test and trace to local health boards rather than some useless private company

In Scotland, it is run by thr NHS, not private companies.