Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I'm not convinced that they are really 'high' at all: we need to remember that the benchmark set here is weekly cases per 100,000 people. To take an example that has nice neat numbers, Inverclyde is sitting at 80 for the above figure and also has a back of a fag packet population of 80k people. If the rate stays the same then 640 people would therefore be expected to contract the virus over the next ten weeks. It would take over twenty years for the virus to do the rounds of the entire local authority population at that rate.

Single family clusters, workplaces and the infection factories are causing rates to go up and down like a whore's knickers as a result of the very low benchmark set here. What we're dealing with is a low prevalence infection, which is why all the moral claptrap about 'people not following the rules!!111!!!' is utter nonsense. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't have any measures in place at all but you'd think that thousands of people a week were getting floored in every part of the Central Belt when that is simply not true.

Surely the back of the fag packet would say that every person in Inverclyde would need to be tested every day to get to the 640 in 10 week illusion ?

That ain't what's happening.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I'm not convinced that they are really 'high' at all: we need to remember that the benchmark set here is weekly cases per 100,000 people. To take an example that has nice neat numbers, Inverclyde is sitting at 80 for the above figure and also has a back of a fag packet population of 80k people. If the rate stays the same then 640 people would therefore be expected to contract the virus over the next ten weeks. It would take over twenty years for the virus to do the rounds of the entire local authority population at that rate.

Single family clusters, workplaces and the infection factories are causing rates to go up and down like a whore's knickers as a result of the very low benchmark set here. What we're dealing with is a low prevalence infection, which is why all the moral claptrap about 'people not following the rules!!111!!!' is utter nonsense. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't have any measures in place at all but you'd think that thousands of people a week were getting floored in every part of the Central Belt when that is simply not true.

I get that, my point was more high cases in terms of the determination of tiers. Surely the aim of Tier 4 was to dramatically reduce cases as it is the strongest lockdown level and we'd be seeing much lower daily levels in the central belt than at present? I just can't see Tier 3 coming back for Glasgow, Renfrewshire and Lanarkshires. 

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Glasgow and Clyde seemingly briefing that they dont expect to widely roll out the pfizer vaccine in the community because of the storage situation and logistics, pinning hopes on the Oxford one apparently. They’ve had months to plan and it seems the plan is that they have no plan. 

I think the problem with the Pfizer one is that it comes in frozen batches of 10, so it's not much use for doing house visits. Not sure about the details though.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I think the problem with the Pfizer one is that it comes in frozen batches of 10, so it's not much use for doing house visits. Not sure about the details though.

Yeh but it can be transported at non freezing temps for 12hrs or something so theres definitely a way around it. Looks like they’ve sorta decided its too much hassle and pinning hopes on the oxford one getting approved. Can see the pfizer one being given at centres for care home staff/nhs staff etc but they dont seem to have an appetite to get it out in the community. 

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yeh but it can be transported at non freezing temps for 12hrs or something so theres definitely a way around it. Looks like they’ve sorta decided its too much hassle and pinning hopes on the oxford one getting approved. Can see the pfizer one being given at centres for care home staff/nhs staff etc but they dont seem to have an appetite to get it out in the community. 

Bill Gates obviously only wants the over 80s tracked 

3 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Friend of my wife works in an oncology ward in Hairmyres - been told she'll get the vaccine next week

Yeh my wifes friends who work outwith GGC are being told they’ll be vaccinated before christmas. Its all disjointed to f**k, should be done nationally instead its just all getting chopped and changed at health board  level, zero consistency. For me, get the auld dears the gucci shit so the death rates fall.

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

If they'd thought of that before the fuckers came back from the summer holidays I might be sitting in an Edinburgh hostelry with a Scotch Egg and a pint right now...

Couldn't think of anything worse so just as well they didn't

1 hour ago, Manifesto said:

Surely the back of the fag packet would say that every person in Inverclyde would need to be tested every day to get to the 640 in 10 week illusion ?

That ain't what's happening.

I don't care about quantifying an unknowable number of infections so pathetic that they're not even showing up in  symptomatic testing. It is the number of confirmed infections that is relevant to decision-making and 640 between now and the end of winter does not demonstrate widespread transmission nor even a severe public health problem. That is the exact same figure as the SG's current metric expressed in a more rational way.

Edited by vikingTON

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

I don't care about quantifying an unknowable number of infections so pathetic that they're not even showing up in  symptomatic testing. It is the number of confirmed infections that is relevant to decision-making and 640 between now and the end of winter does not demonstrate widespread transmission nor even a severe public health problem. That is the exact same figure as the SG's current metric expressed in a more rational way.

Sooooo. You're pishing in the wind.

Why didn't you just say that ffs?

ETA and you did quantify it with the decades long predictions based on your 'pish'.

Lol.

Edited by Manifesto

3 minutes ago, Manifesto said:

Sooooo. You're pishing in the wind.

Why didn't you just say that ffs?

ETA and you did quantify it with the decades long predictions based on your 'pish'.

Lol.

Ah bless, the old 'why go for one comeback when you can just throw shite at the wall' tactic in operation.

The vaccine that has started to be used in Ebola outbreaks in Africa needs stored at -80 as well and the WHO and other agencies managed to vaccinate nearly 300,000 people in a recent outbreak. If a cold supply chain can be established in a war zone in the Democratic Republic of Congo treating a virus that is highly contagious and has a case fatality rate of above 60% then I’m sure it’s *possible* to do it In Glasgow for Covid.

The vaccine that has started to be used in Ebola outbreaks in Africa needs stored at -80 as well and the WHO and other agencies managed to vaccinate nearly 300,000 people in a recent outbreak. If a cold supply chain can be established in a war zone in the Democratic Republic of Congo treating a virus that is highly contagious and has a case fatality rate of above 60% then I’m sure it’s *possible* to do it In Glasgow for Covid.
But could they cope with Inverclyde?

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Has this been confirmed by anyone at FVRH who would definitely hear the chat?

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

*Janey Godley voice*

Ebola? Vaccines? Congo? Aye try driving a fancy truck intae the Milton ye'd have my pal one eyed Andy choring the needles oot the back and selling them in the pub before they'd pulled the handbrake! Wha's like us?"

Ye'd be there five minutes before it would be "Frank! Get the door!" 🤣🤣🤣