Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

I was reading an article last week addressing this and, specifically, the concerns amongst some that this has been found within 9 months when most vaccines take ten years.

Essentially, most of the ten-year process for other vaccines is spent applying for, being rejected, and re-applying for funding to actually do the research in the first place. The amount of actual medical research / trials is nowhere near ten years and is usually carried out by relatively small companies.

The fact that the entire medical community has been focused on finding this and have had pretty much unlimited funding is why this has been able to happen so quickly.

Yep, it is mind-boggling to see so many people 'wonder' why a virus (more the government's response) that is tanking Western economies worse than a single year than either world war might have a streamlined and intensified research process for treatments. That's what was supposed to happen all along but now that we have a successful outcome people are suddenly braying about how suspicious it is that we can develop a treatment so quickly.

By the same token, as soon as they start rolling out vaccines the government's premise for continued restrictions should be filed in the bin. It is not the job of the rest of society to sit on their hands while the government tries to gormlessly jab every boomer before opening things up again. 

As much as I’d happily have restrictions in place for non-vaxxers, I don’t see how it’s possible until the vaccine has been offered to everyone.

Is the plan even to actually vaccinate everyone? Not sure if there’s much point in vaccinating 20 year olds if everyone else has got it, and there certainly shouldn’t be restrictions once over 50s and vulnerable groups are done, so you couldn’t demand a vaccine for everyone by then.

I don’t have any doubts about the veracity of the development process of the vaccine but I also have a lot of faith in the government to somehow balls up the actual delivery
I'd hope the distribution side of things is left to the devolved nations.

As much as the SG have pissed me off at times with some of their decision making I would put infinitely more trust in them than the clowns in WM to successfully roll out the vaccine.

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Any chance you can post/PM the article? I read about this but can’t find it again and it’s quite useful for handing over to any sceptics.

Not sure if it's the same one but the one I came across is here

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/less-than-a-year-to-develop-a-covid-vaccine-heres-why-you-shouldnt-be-alarmed/

2 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Let the anti vaxers pass on it and allow them to die off.

Natural selection, I say.

Hopefully the SPFL require a vaccine certificate to allow you into the grounds also, sure it would help reduce many of the other issues Scottish football have with supporters too.

Letting them pass it on and eventually die out is a waste of time and may well cause the death of an innocent. Could we convert a North Sea Oil Platform into a sort of huge Dunk Tank? Just round them all up out there and drop them into the sea.

43 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The first generation of vaccines don’t stop you getting the virus, they only reduce the effects of it anyway

That's how all vaccines work champ. The long established ones don't actually produce some magical force field to stop pathogens entering the human body: they simply make sure that the immune system is trained to set about it with no f**k's given. Which given that this is already the case for well over >90% of Covid infections pre-vaccine, means that it is time to end this nonsense as soon as the first round of critical priority vaccination is completed. 

Edited by vikingTON

Here's the criteria for the waiting queue, I think it might be slightly different in Scotland. Sure I read about home carers being included in the first tranche here, only care home staff are mentioned in this.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/940396/Priority_groups_for_coronavirus__COVID-19__vaccination_-_advice_from_the_JCVI__2_December_2020.pdf

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

As much as I’d happily have restrictions in place for non-vaxxers, I don’t see how it’s possible until the vaccine has been offered to everyone.

Is the plan even to actually vaccinate everyone? Not sure if there’s much point in vaccinating 20 year olds if everyone else has got it, and there certainly shouldn’t be restrictions once over 50s and vulnerable groups are done, so you couldn’t demand a vaccine for everyone by then.

If over 50s were a genuine priority then they should have been mass shielding in the spring and autumn rather than clogging up every supermarket aisle in the country to pick the biscuits/wine all year long. Seeing as they didn't think that restrictions should apply to them and furiously warded off any attempts to do so, the move should be reciprocated.

Open things up once frontline and shielding groups are vaccinated and continue the program while the economy gets back to normal. This is the best way out of the ridiculous mess the UK has landed itself in.

31 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Any chance you can post/PM the article? I read about this but can’t find it again and it’s quite useful for handing over to any sceptics.

I think it was this one. It's also useful for folk who are sceptical why we didn't develop a vaccine for SARS as quickly, pretty much because SARS ended as a pandemic before we needed one.

EDIT: Nah actually it wasn't that one (I get access to a lot of professional journals through my work, it might have been one of those). But the IFLScience one posted above is pretty similar.

Edited by Gaz

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I think it was this one. It's also useful for folk who are sceptical why we didn't develop a vaccine for SARS as quickly, pretty much because SARS ended as a pandemic before we needed one.

The analogy I read was something along the lines of this. Normal vaccine procedures are like going to your work on a Monday morning in a clapped out banger, you take the same route everyday and pass the same landmarks. In the case of Covid-19 the government has relaid the road surface,given you an F1 car with all the best mechanics and cleared the road of all traffic. You still take the same route and pass the same landmarks but you have no traffic in front of you to slow you down, you get there quicker than normal.

27 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

You still want 70% plus coverage to protect those for whom it's thought to be too risky for them to take, pregnant women and those with specific immune deficiencies for example at the moment. That might change as more is learnt about it, and we don't yet know how good they are at preventing transmission, although the Oxford lot thought the signs are good.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

2019: If you think everyone is going to be compelled to take a vaccine under threat of social exclusion you are crazy.

2020: If you don't want take a vaccine under threat of social exclusion you are crazy. 

It's preposterous if you really think about it

joe-rogan-experience-podcast.jpg?fit=789

27 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It's preposterous if you really think about it

joe-rogan-experience-podcast.jpg?fit=789

I just think it's funny that people are going nuts at anti vaccers while doing exactly the thing that anti vaccers predicted. 

The galaxy brain conspiracy is that elites aren't going to hurt the compliant section of the population so after a certain amount of people are vaccinated another strain of Covid wipes out all the surly people.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

I just think it's funny that people are going nuts at anti vaccers while doing exactly the thing that anti vaccers predicted. 

The galaxy brain conspiracy is that elites aren't going to hurt the compliant section of the population so after a certain amount of people are vaccinated another strain of Covid wipes out all the surly people.

excited no way GIF by Russell Brunson

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

This country’s ability to outstrip any conceivable level of patter is unreal.

See if immediately after his shot, his head exploded Scanners style on live tv...