Coronavirus (COVID-19)

This has probably been asked, but has there been a precedent of something like this (vaccine) being created and rolled out at the quickest opportunity? 

Is there a time frame for between the first and the last group of people to be given a dose? I’m still anticipating restrictions to be in place well after the summer.

3 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

This has probably been asked, but has there been a precedent of something like this (vaccine) being created and rolled out at the quickest opportunity? 

Is there a time frame for between the first and the last group of people to be given a dose? I’m still anticipating restrictions to be in place well after the summer.

I was reading an article last week addressing this and, specifically, the concerns amongst some that this has been found within 9 months when most vaccines take ten years.

Essentially, most of the ten-year process for other vaccines is spent applying for, being rejected, and re-applying for funding to actually do the research in the first place. The amount of actual medical research / trials is nowhere near ten years and is usually carried out by relatively small companies.

The fact that the entire medical community has been focused on finding this and have had pretty much unlimited funding is why this has been able to happen so quickly.

There’s no benefit to any of the UK Govts to have restrictions in place for any longer than needed.

I reckon once most of the vulnerable and over 50’s are vaccinated they might start winding back restrictions.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I was reading an article last week addressing this and, specifically, the concerns amongst some that this has been found within 9 months when most vaccines take ten years.

Essentially, most of the ten-year process for other vaccines is spent applying for, being rejected, and re-applying for funding to actually do the research in the first place. The amount of actual medical research / trials is nowhere near ten years and is usually carried out by relatively small companies.

The fact that the entire medical community has been focused on finding this and have had pretty much unlimited funding is why this has been able to happen so quickly.

No doubt that every resource, both physical and financial, has been thrown at this as priority. My question is how quickly can an entire population/those eligible be given a dosage of the vaccine? 

15 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I have zero issue with the anti-vaxxer morons being barred from mixing with the rest of society until the virus is eradicated.

f**k them.

What about those who havent yet been offered a vaccine? Should they be frozen out from normal life until their turn comes?

I remember laughing at Republicans in the US whipping up nonsense stories about the vaccine trials and approval being some kind of political plot against them a couple of weeks ago. 

Now the internet is full of people coming up with the same dumb as f**k takes here in the UK. 

8 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Aye, The new ones were made in a couple of weeks of getting the genetic blueprint from China, much of the groundwork was done for the prequal, Sars I. The technology's changed massively, you used to have to grow each dose in an egg. All the time since March has been spent on testing and mass production, they were very confident from the start that they would work to some extent, and be safe.

Vaccine approval is going to reinvigorate some utter shite tbh. Zero covid being chief among them I'd bet 

There absolutely no excuse for any restrictions once the vulnerable list have been vaccinated. You just know the media in this country will pish their pants at the first sign of a few cases though and enable continuing restrictions. 

10 minutes ago, mizfit said:

There’s no benefit to any of the UK Govts to have restrictions in place for any longer than needed.

I reckon once most of the vulnerable and over 50’s are vaccinated they might start winding back restrictions.

Leitch says "months" of roll out, which was expected tbh, but the use of the word normality is good too see.

Hopefully "months" means < 6, and that we do start to see an easing of restrictions as they work their way down the list.

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

I find the idea of taxpayer funded intensive healthcare for some moron who thinks that their back of a fag packet concern is sufficient grounds to not take a vaccine more than 'unsettling', so here we are.

Hopefully the first lot of anti vaxxers to drop dead will be the weirdos hanging around Holyrood on a Saturday having ceilidhs and quoting from Braveheart.

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

Leitch says "months" of roll out, which was expected tbh, but the use of the word normality is good too see.

Hopefully "months" means < 6, and that we do start to see an easing of restrictions as they work their way down the list.

Just to add to my previous, the vaccinated list growing and the case numbers shrinking should be met with rolling back restrictions ASAP. Full normality... Aye maybe a few month for that but absolutely no reason not to be rolling back slowly from post Xmas

2 hours ago, Manifesto said:

So even the yanks haven't yet approved it 🤔

Not for me this one.

ETA the lassie on the transistor was vague as Hell on its 'trials' and effectiveness.

Love that you're basing your analysis of the most important vaccine of our lifetimes on info passed on by "yon lassie on the transistor".

All for the SG making this mandatory to use certain services/go on holiday, stops morons like you from killing people and probably makes your head explode at the same time.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I think it takes a couple of months after the second dose for it to work, so 4 months in total. Just in time for the Euros hopefully.

UEFA are making a decision on each stadium capacity in early March btw. The amount of fans allowed to attend can be reduced after this date, but cannot be increased.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Just to add to my previous, the vaccinated list growing and the case numbers shrinking should be met with rolling back restrictions ASAP. Full normality... Aye maybe a few month for that but absolutely no reason not to be rolling back slowly from post Xmas

They don't work straight away, the restrictions will still be based on the infection rate till Spring at least.