Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Where is all this hatred?

Mainstream media or social media, or both?

I'm not on social media and I've not watched the news for a day or two, so a wee bit out the loop.

I'm certainly happy for the nhs workers to get a wee bonus. After this year they certainly deserve a lot more.

Both.

30 minutes ago, Paco said:

I do find the reaction to the NHS payment absolutely bizarre. Clap on the doorsteps but don’t dare actually give them anything tangible (and let’s be honest, it’s little more than a token gesture). It’s either a bribe for votes, throwing more money at rich consultants or a slap in the face to binmen/mechanics/bus drivers.

This is an extraordinary time, the next few years will be similar to the end of the world wars with society changing rapidly and the country in huge debts. On both occasions after the wars there were rapid social advances for the population at large, because the population demanded it. This time? We’re already being geared up for severe austerity because ‘the credit cards are maxed out’. We’re even still in the middle of the actual pandemic and salaries are being frozen and front-line workers begrudged £500 bonuses. Were the soldiers in 1944 told to go and f**k themselves because it hadn’t been a picnic working down the butchers?

Britain has turned very, very ugly and we’re not as immune to it in Scotland as we like to pretend. There’s no empathy for anyone, at least none that we’re happy to see backed up beyond thoughts and prayers for social media.

Today’s headlines, while this is all going on - Is a Scotch egg a substantial meal?

I hate this place.

80% of the UK population believe that they have the hardest lives/they work harder than everyone else/no one has it as tough as them and that everyone else is an "idiot" or "scum". We're seeing that with the childlike "aye but what about..." stuff in relation to other workers, or people moaning about this being "free money".

Then you get people taking glee in this anger with the mental fascination we seem to have on here with "the seethe".

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

80% of the UK population believe that they have the hardest lives/they work harder than everyone else/no one has it as tough as them and that everyone else is an "idiot" or "scum". We're seeing that with the childlike "aye but what about..." stuff in relation to other workers, or people moaning about this being "free money".

Then you get people taking glee in this anger with the mental fascination we seem to have on here with "the seethe".

People who are angry that NHS staff are getting a Christmas bonus should be laughed anytime looking into their arguments it's time wasted.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

It’s okay I’m sure Annalise Dodds and Keir Starmer won’t spend another 4 years apologising for the recession and agreeing that we need to cut our cloths accordingly.

I admire your hope but considering the lib Dems and labour are queuing up behind the Tories on the £500 then I really don't hold much hope. You would think understanding our tax system would be a prerequisite for being an MP but Ian Murray has been embarrassing himself which is pretty impressive 

I do find the reaction to the NHS payment absolutely bizarre. Clap on the doorsteps but don’t dare actually give them anything tangible (and let’s be honest, it’s little more than a token gesture). It’s either a bribe for votes, throwing more money at rich consultants or a slap in the face to binmen/mechanics/bus drivers.

This is an extraordinary time, the next few years will be similar to the end of the world wars with society changing rapidly and the country in huge debts. On both occasions after the wars there were rapid social advances for the population at large, because the population demanded it. This time? We’re already being geared up for severe austerity because ‘the credit cards are maxed out’. We’re even still in the middle of the actual pandemic and salaries are being frozen and front-line workers begrudged £500 bonuses. Were the soldiers in 1944 told to go and f**k themselves because it hadn’t been a picnic working down the butchers?

Britain has turned very, very ugly and we’re not as immune to it in Scotland as we like to pretend. There’s no empathy for anyone, at least none that we’re happy to see backed up beyond thoughts and prayers for social media.

Today’s headlines, while this is all going on - Is a Scotch egg a substantial meal?

I hate this place.

I think one of the main differences between the world wars and now is that there was a massive push from the left throughout society to demand those major necessary radical advances whereas Covid has come right on the back of the most substantial defeat of the left in 30 years and their replacements have (despite laughable claims to the contrary) consciously sought to dampen any and all enthusiasm for a change to the status quo.

What the f**k has Starmer actually made a stand on? Oh, it’s demanding the government send the kids back to schools with “no ifs, no buts, no equivocations.” That one worked out well.

No one typified this wildly undeserved woe is me attitude more than the guy that went on Question Time and whined about how persecuted he was by the Labour Party because he earned 80k a year living in Bolton which apparently doesn’t make him a high earner. I think he even claimed it didn’t put him in the top 5% of earners but actually in the bottom 50%. This country is governed by the id of petty reactionaries who vastly overestimate their own grievances and the impact they have on their lives.

1 hour ago, Paco said:

I hate this place.

Doesn’t like Scotch eggs imo.

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

No. Wrong. Things are shit for me so they should be shit for every other c**t too. 

ah, the call of the ''f**k you jack, i'm alright'' when jack isn't alright.

he can also been heard to say, ''look at that c**t, what disability does he have ? Thats a brand new ford kuga he's driving around, for nothing, 😁

1 hour ago, Paco said:

I hate this place.

Aye. Just had 2 for lunch, was a struggle. 

IMG_20201201_121249.jpg

Edited by philpy

25 minutes ago, 101 said:

Screenshot_20201201-114726.thumb.jpg.54301baaa4f6d06310203d3b67c5680e.jpg

I have seen some wild takes on Pie and Bovril but nothing comes close to this. Some brass neck

I had to trawl through their Twitter feed to check that wasn't fake, which I presumed it simply had to be.  F***ing hell. 

That feed in general though, jeez.  Talk about rattled and #snpbad 

17 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Nah, that's shite. If cases come down to a reasonable level in WD then so should restrictions. People crossing these boundaries should be doing so only for work that can't be done from home and the police have powers to charge folk otherwise. You can't operate a policy that requires trust from the people in each area to follow the rules and then say "you're saying in tier 4 cause we canny trust ye not to cross that boundary".

Fair enough, I just think the government are quite happy to lump most surrounding council areas into 'Greater Glasgow' due to the influence the city has with people commute back and forth and folk jumping across boundaries so much for shopping etc. I just feel they will be loath to ease them without all areas, including the city, falling. 

I get why they use council areas, but it's not really the best measure- South Lanarkshire is massive and probably has areas to the east and south with few cases hamstrung by areas like Rutherglen etc which are barely a mile from Hampden and really just a district of Glasgow with loads of cases. 

The anger in some quarters basically boils down to this: I'm not getting a bonus, so no one else should. 

That's it. 

If nothing else it has helped divert attention (seethe inducing at that) from Kate Forbes announcement yesterday that there will be no public sector pay freeze in Scotland. Presumably the bin emptiers and cops bleating about the NHS bonus also missed that wee nugget yesterday unless of course the wee Brucie Bonus announcement yesterday was their idea of no public sector pay freeze but it wasn't my take on it.