Coronavirus (COVID-19)

This. So much this. The last few months have affected us all in different ways, most of them negative. I've been getting more and more pissed off with people starting to ignore restrictions and precautions because, well basically they're bored with this pandemic.

That we are seeing all the Governments basically throwing their hands in the air and saying, "we might as well open up for Xmas, as you lot are going to fúck the restrictions off anyway," shows that this country is absolutely devoid of any sense of common purpose.

Sadly, I've had a major difference of opinion with a few family members, including Mrs WRK over this. Her parents are both in their seventies, and her auntie is too. She is quite happy wit the idea of having them over,  as well as Rosettes No 1 and 2 plus spouses/kids despite:

1. My working in a Prison which is classed as an outbreak site,

2. Her (and her staff) going in and out of clients' houses cleaning,

3. Rosette No. 1 working (midwife)  in Hospitals and the community,

4. None of the in-laws being in brilliant health anyway.

She went apeshit, accusing me of being a miserable cúnt, when I suggested it might be better to ensure that we get to see Family in the future, rather than risk them for what is basically a Sunday Dinner. Rosettes No 2 (and Husband) and 3 agree with me, but No 2 doesn't want to upset her Mum by saying that Grandaughter 1 can't come and open her presents at ours. Said Granddaughter is more than onboard with the idea of being safe and sticking to the rules, and understands Christmas will be different this year.

I am not looking forward to the "festive" season. Or being locked down for the entirety of January.

I've had similar "discussions" with my wife - made it clear that I'm just not doing it no matter how much adult step-children moan about it.

To be honest, if it wasn't for Covid I'd have suggested that they do Christmas dinner instead - but that would go down like a lead balloon.

55 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

If you’ve discussed it properly then I’m not sure it is flippant. It’s up to him and you.

He is housebound as it is with COPD,88 and he is also undergoing radiation therapy for bowel cancer. So on the ine hand it seems grossly irresposnsible as if he gets the virus I wouldn't fancy his chances but as he says himself says he doesn't fancy his chances long term anyway.

One thing that will get the middle-class anti-vaxxers changing their minds is if countries make it mandatory to have the vaccine before before they go off on their skiing holiday.
Undoubtedly. I know plenty of folk who are sceptical of Covid, and wary of the vaccine. Reckon all of them would take it if it meant they could get away for their holidays overseas.

In that situation, I'd be interested to see how many hardcore anti-vaxxers would hold their nerve.

The supermarkets and shops in Kirkcaldy are heaving too. Centre of Edinburgh was very quiet today, given we’re on the run up to Christmas. Trains were dead. Me and one other person on my carriage on the way through. Me and four other people on the way back.
Wife works in Debenhams in Dundee - they had customers in today who had travelled from Glasgow

NS may come under some pressure after BJs announcement re football fans, but I can't think from who.
Only Dave Cormack at Aberdeen has been vocal about the issue. The other clubs have said very little. The SFA / JRG would appear to have their own agenda re the whole issue.
The non-league clubs' #letfansin camps has been ignored by all.
Sportsound seem to continually push it.

8 minutes ago, Markka said:

Undoubtedly. I know plenty of folk who are sceptical of Covid, and wary of the vaccine. Reckon all of them would take it if it meant they could get away for their holidays overseas.

In that situation, I'd be interested to see how many hardcore anti-vaxxers would hold their nerve.

Sceptical in w hat way?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03326-w

Just been reading this article on the Oxford vaccine. Within the article it states that Moderna and Pfizer only tested participants who showed symptoms. The Oxford/AZ participants were all swabbed every week. 

I don't want to piss on anyone's chips, but that looks to me like a fundamental flaw in the Moderna/Pfizer trials. I'm not qualified on this area but it stands to reason that asymptomatic infection could just as easily have occurred during those trials, yet it will have gone entirely undetected. I hope there's a reasonable explanation here, but suddenly those hight efficacy rates look a bit shaky. 

Now,of course the measurement of success with these vaccines is that it prevents people becoming seriously ill rather than completely eliminating the possibility of catching covid, which all three managed to achieve. But it almost looks a cynical way of boosting the results. 

Edited by Michael W

Ach, the Sturg has had an outstanding period since March though, so if she says 'go oot and get pure bevied for 5 days, and don't worry, you can make it up with a full lockdown in January', she must be doing the right thing.

She’s presented a total failure really well and avoided any really tough questions.

Didnt turn up for initial cobr meetings

care homes

testing

track and trace

allowing large crowds

blaming some failings on Westminster

spread in hospitals 

deputies don’t get a word in other than to make a mess of it

Apart from that she appears honest and presents things clearly.

2 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

She’s presented a total failure really well and avoided any really tough questions.

care homes

testing

track and trace

allowing large crowds

spread in hospitals 

A60AAE24-271E-4688-8DAD-6E3DBA67001E.gif.2408c6dc786dffe22e9988ffc8089108.gif

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

care homes

testing

track and trace

allowing large crowds

spread in hospitals 

You know Track and Trace is an English thing right?

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

care homes

testing

track and trace

allowing large crowds

spread in hospitals 

So close, you missed out the Nike conference.

Silver medal.

2 hours ago, Steven W said:

NS may come under some pressure after BJs announcement re football fans, but I can't think from who.

Only Dave Cormack at Aberdeen has been vocal about the issue. The other clubs have said very little. The SFA / JRG would appear to have their own agenda re the whole issue.

The non-league clubs' #letfansin camps has been ignored by all.

ICT had 300 fans in on Saturday.

Edited by btb

Just now, MixuFruit said:

What did our track and trace do wrong?

I know its incredibly petty but it's Test and Protect ffs.

No wonder folk get scammed because every scam I've heard has always said "I'm calling from test and trace"