Coronavirus (COVID-19)

He said these are two phase vaccines so you'll need another dose 3 or 4 months after the first one.

Also no global agreement that a vaccinated person can travel freely. No intention to supply a certificate of vaccination for instance.

He said these are two phase vaccines so you'll need another dose 3 or 4 months after the first one.
Also no global agreement that a vaccinated person can travel freely. No intention to supply a certificate of vaccination for instance.
Countries will surely state their own conditions for travel, which is presumably based on vaccine uptake and virus prevalence in the incoming country.

The idea that there needs to be a vaccine passport is fucking stupid.

Why would Spain continue to blow up their tourist industry if they are happy that they have administered enough vaccines so as to protect their own health service?

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Countries will surely state their own conditions for travel, which is presumably based on vaccine uptake and virus prevalence in the incoming country.

Why would Spain continue to blow up their tourist industry if they are happy that they have administered enough vaccines so as to protect their own health service?

There are lots of countries where you have to show you have the right jags, at least there used to be. I wouldn't be keen on a load of unvaccinated people coming here after it's freely available, from America say.

7 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:

Thats not what he said.  He said 3 or 4 weeks after the first one.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

There are lots of countries where you have to show you have the right jags, at least there used to be. I wouldn't be keen on a load of unvaccinated people coming here after it's freely available, from America say.

Why? This virus is here to stay by all accounts. It might disappear in years to come, but once there is a vaccine for it, it's basically in the same ball park as the flu. 

59 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Professor leitch back on off the ball

Leitch really should be focussing on trying to secure a permanent position on Off the Ball before the inquests begin.

He could read out the news and weather on the hour, although he'd probably suggest it's not worth taking a brolly when it's raining and there are only ever downpours in certain parts of the country.

Leitch really should be focussing on trying to secure a permanent position on Off the Ball before the inquests begin.
He could read out the news and weather on the hour, although he'd probably suggest it's not worth taking a brolly when it's raining and there are only ever downpours in certain parts of the country.
Find him to be really patronising.

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Why? This virus is here to stay by all accounts. It might disappear in years to come, but once there is a vaccine for it, it's basically in the same ball park as the flu. 

Not everyone can take the vaccine, people who refuse to take it are deliberately putting them at risk, forcing some of them to stay indoors, because they saw something on youtube. 

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not everyone can take the vaccine, people who refuse to take it are deliberately putting them at risk, forcing some of them to stay indoors, because they saw something on youtube. 

Well you are absolutely never, ever going to get 100% vaccination, not least because no Governemnt will strive for that. 

Herd immunity might eventually see this virus recede back into nothing but in the meantime, you seem to be suggesting the retention of some fairly heavy restriction based on an assumed right to protection from an endemic virus. That's just not realistic. The government cant continue to throw money at protecting people this once a vaccine is in place that offers people the previously unavailable fighting chance. 

36 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There still are. Yellow fever being one that quite a few countries ask for in order to enter. 

It's up to the countries concerned what they want - if they want proof of covid vaccination then that's their perogative. Bear in mind also that not every country is going to move at the same pace for vaccinating its population. 

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Well you are absolutely never, ever going to get 100% vaccination, not least because no Governemnt will strive for that. 

Herd immunity might eventually see this virus recede back into nothing but in the meantime, you seem to be suggesting the retention of some fairly heavy restriction based on an assumed right to protection from an endemic virus. That's just not realistic. The government cant continue to throw money at protecting people this once a vaccine is in place that offers people the previously unavailable fighting chance. 

I see refusing a vaccine the same as refusing to wear a mask on a plane just now. Nobody's forcing anyone to get a vaccine, it's just that you're not getting to endanger other people on my plane if you refuse it.

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

I see refusing a vaccine the same as refusing to wear a mask on a plane just now. 

Not everyone will even be offered one. At least not for a while, and certainly not year on year. Just like not everyone is offered a flu vaccine yet flu kills many every year and no gets guilt tripped over that. 

Iv said it before on here, but once medicine provides a reasonable level of protection for the vulnerable, the vulnerable no longer have an at all costs right to be protected from it or a right not to die from it. And if that sounds crass to you, then you just have to have a think about how the health service works. The price to protect people from covid has been unprecedented because there was nothing available to protect. 

I can accept that asymptomatic carrying makes Covid different to flu, and there should be more of a push on vaccine take up, but if you are in the UK tourist industry and your business is still being curtailed by regulations when the UK population has largely been vaccinated, you will be quite justifiably seething. 

52 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

When I flew from Angola to Brazil I had to show them that I had my Yellow Fever jab before I was allowed to board the plane.

Edited by Fullerene

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:
When I flew from Angola to Brazil I had to show them that I had my Yellow Fever jab before I was allowed to board the plane.

Well yes, but Yellow fever probably doesnt exist in Brazil and they dont want it to be imported. Covid does exist in the UK and we will soon have a huge % of the population vaccinated against it.

It's really not the same as stopping people from travelling here from a certain country because they might have a virus that has already ripped through our country and for which we have been (by then) largely vaccinated for.

Edited by Bairnardo