Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, dirty dingus said:

they were allowing my mother in until he got covid as a dementia patient you are allowed 1 person in to visit, there is an option to glove/mask/screen up to say goodbye but to be honest I don't want to watch him die in hospital. I wanted him home to die with dignity at home till the covid came into it.

Had much the same with my Dad before covid, looking after him at home with dementia till he broke his hip and caught pneumonia in hospital after a successful operation. He probably didn't have long anyway, they used to call pneumonia the old man's friend. Let my sister go to the hospital alone at the end with a lame excuse. It was because I wanted to remember how he was a couple of weeks before when we went out for a pint, even though he no longer knew who I was, not flat out in a hospital bed unconscious and fading away. Stay strong.

Edited by welshbairn

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Had much the same with my Dad before covid, looking after him at home with dementia till he broke his hip and caught pneumonia in hospital after a successful operation. He probably didn't have long anyway, they used to call pneumonia the old man's friend. Let my sister go to the hospital alone at the end with a lame excuse. It was because I wanted to remember how he was a couple of weeks before when we went out for a pint, even though he no longer knew who I was, not flat out in a hospital bed unconscious and fading away. Stay strong.

I'm the same, I've watched him fade away but I'd rather remember the good times.

3 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

This is quite hard but hopefully a bit therapuetic. My auld man will die within the next few days, he's in hospital with late stage dementia after losing the ability to eat and having a delerium. He's been in a ward for 8 days and we have been now told he has Covid. They have informed us that it is palliative care and they will make his journey as smoothe as possible. I will not see my dad again after being his carer for 5 years and to be honest I don't want to. He was probably near the end of life but to go out that way is a kick in the nuts. So basically I'm saying don't be c***s and underestimate the human effect this disease has.

Mate I'm sorry to read that 

This is quite hard but hopefully a bit therapuetic. My auld man will die within the next few days, he's in hospital with late stage dementia after losing the ability to eat and having a delerium. He's been in a ward for 8 days and we have been now told he has Covid. They have informed us that it is palliative care and they will make his journey as smoothe as possible. I will not see my dad again after being his carer for 5 years and to be honest I don't want to. He was probably near the end of life but to go out that way is a kick in the nuts. So basically I'm saying don't be c***s and underestimate the human effect this disease has.
Very sorry to hear that, must be very tough.

Sounds very similar to the story a workmate told me about his neighbour's mum. She also has dementia, and was admitted to GRI with eating problems. After being in for 10 days or so her family were told last Monday that she had Covid, and she passed away on Thursday.

10 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Sorry to hear that.

I've just heard this morning that my old boss who I was close to has been put on a ventilator and is fighting a losing battle praying he can pull it back for his wife and young kids sake.

My mum died last monday in her care home. The week before she was in RAH in Paisley after yet another bad fall. She was sedated for her last few days in the care home where me and my sister were allowed in her room one at a time for 30 minutes. A couple of days before she died, she tested positive for covid. The death certificate shows reason no.1 as covid which doesn't sound right as she was on her way out anyway. I wonder what proportion of so called covid deaths have been wrongly counted in this way.

11 hours ago, dirty dingus said:

Sorry for your loss, a terrible thing to have to go through.

31 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

My mum died last monday in her care home. The week before she was in RAH in Paisley after yet another bad fall. She was sedated for her last few days in the care home where me and my sister were allowed in her room one at a time for 30 minutes. A couple of days before she died, she tested positive for covid. The death certificate shows reason no.1 as covid which doesn't sound right as she was on her way out anyway. I wonder what proportion of so called covid deaths have been wrongly counted in this way.

If they believe covid contributed to the deatb it will be on the cert. AFAIK you can contest a death cert if you have an issue with it 

Sorry to hear about your mum. I lost mine last August - in some ways in glad she went before covid hit as her life was pretty limited after a heart attack and the covid situation would have made her utterly miserable 

The amount of covid outbreaks in hospital, considering there are meant to be red and green zones is a scandal.

The stories above are exactly like what happened to my gran back in wave 1, in hospital for other issues, suddenly about a week or so into her stay tests positive for covid. She was asymptomatic of that but was immediately then transferred to a covid ward and died a week or so later with covid number 1 on death cert.

I know at that point in NHS Lanarkshire they were claiming staff were not mixing red and green zones but from people I know working in it they were, and were not and still not getting regular testing.

The NHS have failed big time in preventing nosocomial transmission, there is no reason why patients in green zones should be testing positive days into a stay in hospital.

27 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

When my Dad died in April the death certificate cited 'community acquired pneumonia' as the principal cause. This was correct as he had had mesothelioma. However the DC also mentioned covid-19 which I still feel is wrong. He had been shielding at home for 2 months before he passed away and had never been tested. The NRS figure will include him, wrongly, and there must be many more.

45 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Sorry for your loss. 

The amount of covid outbreaks in hospital, considering there are meant to be red and green zones is a scandal.

The stories above are exactly like what happened to my gran back in wave 1, in hospital for other issues, suddenly about a week or so into her stay tests positive for covid. She was asymptomatic of that but was immediately then transferred to a covid ward and died a week or so later with covid number 1 on death cert.

I know at that point in NHS Lanarkshire they were claiming staff were not mixing red and green zones but from people I know working in it they were, and were not and still not getting regular testing.

The NHS have failed big time in preventing nosocomial transmission, there is no reason why patients in green zones should be testing positive days into a stay in hospital.

My wife is a nurse, working in a non Covid ward, and has at least twice been in close contact with patients who have come in and subsequently tested positive.

The guidance is she doesn't have to isolate or get a test due to wearing a mask and not completing any procedures that would increase the risk of catching Covid.

This is a big issue and one that the authorities have not been open enough about. Yes covid is a horrible fucking virus but the death numbers are much more complicated than they appear.

The confusion only helps those who shout about fake news and conspiracies.

25 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

This is a big issue and one that the authorities have not been open enough about. Yes covid is a horrible fucking virus but the death numbers are much more complicated than they appear.

I don't necessarily agree with that, but they do make international comparisons less meaningful.

Edited by Todd_is_God

26 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

You may be right but I’m not sure how you uncomplicate it, it’s a very complicated matter.  However much information is given by the authorities people will skew it to their own agendas.

I know there's people on here that can probably explain better, but this is apparently the score for writing death certs. Hopefully this can help people understand what the DC says and why. 

Taken from here. https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-nhs-doctors-death-certificates-conspiracy-theories-a9513981.html?fbclid=IwAR0pEiWOScleGKUrKZNEo6YqNPK_-bn-_9xYKU0X-fQgqNBoDmFNmtQDMnw&fbclid=IwAR0pEiWOScleGKUrKZNEo6YqNPK_-bn-_9xYKU0X-fQgqNBoDmFNmtQDMnw&__twitter_impression=true

20201121_123136.jpg

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I know there's people on here that can probably explain better, but this is apparently the score for writing death certs. Hopefully this can help people understand what the DC says and why. 

Taken from here. https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-nhs-doctors-death-certificates-conspiracy-theories-a9513981.html?fbclid=IwAR0pEiWOScleGKUrKZNEo6YqNPK_-bn-_9xYKU0X-fQgqNBoDmFNmtQDMnw&fbclid=IwAR0pEiWOScleGKUrKZNEo6YqNPK_-bn-_9xYKU0X-fQgqNBoDmFNmtQDMnw&__twitter_impression=true

20201121_123136.jpg

As someone working in critical care, I have completed many of these certificates. The above quote is correct in that there is a hierarchy of causes.

Section I is the conditions that led directly to the death and II is linked conditions.

For example, someone who had underlying treatment for lung cancer who subsequently died of pneumonia might have the certificate completed as:

I(a) Community acquired pneumonia; I(b) Immunosuppression due to chemotherapy; I(c) Squamous cell carcinoma of lung; II Smoking, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

i.e. they died from pneumonia, but this was exacerbated by immunosuppression from chemotherapy treatment, which they wouldn't have had if they didn't have lung cancer: hence the ultimate "cause of death" is the lung cancer, which is what would recorded in the statistics. The causes in Section II are linked, but didn't ultimately cause death, but may have exacerbated things.