Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:
Gp practices are doing nothing mate, we go in and play twister, charades and poker all day  while laughing at nobody getting in.

But yup we're doing f**k all mate, oops have to dash it's my turn at the roulette wheel.

Whats your online poker handle so I can avoid playing you.

Go on "Give us a clue"

Give Us A Clue - British Classic Comedy

image.jpeg

Edited by superbigal

33 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

In Scotland?

No. England only.

My pal works at the DWP and said moral was through the floor due to the huge amount of work they were doing during lockdown. I can't imagine telling them they won't get a pay rise for the next 3 years will raise their spirits much.

6 minutes ago, beardy said:

However, wiith this particular nut they didn't overlook it.

Without looking I'd be surprised if any of the amateur immunologists were discussing the cross reactivity of previous Coronviruses resulting in a component of T Cell mediated immunity. I am however happy to be corrected.

The likes of SAGE and Vallance have repeatedly denied the possibility, and used the "93% remain susceptible" line as a major driver for the implementation of new restrictions and, ultimately, the lockdown in England.

Amateur immunologists I can't speak for, but less amateury people like Mike Yeadon have been highlighting their role for months. Yeadon and Vallance used to work together so it's inconceivable that Vallance did not know about, or understand the role of, T-cells.

14 hours ago, Snafu said:

Dagnabbit!" - The Silver Life

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-55005077

Children's sleepovers 'spreading Covid' in Glasgow schools

Has anyone on here hosted sleepovers during the pandemic?

Yep, my daughter had one of her friends stay over for her birthday a few weeks ago. They mix with no social distancing for 30 hours a week at school, what difference does seeing each other over the weekend as well make?

1 minute ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Yep, my daughter had one of her friends stay over for her birthday a few weeks ago. They mix with no social distancing for 30 hours a week at school, what difference does seeing each other over the weekend as well make?

Almost zero I'd have thought. But by representing the transmission as happening outwith the school, they can keep up the pretence that schools are safe.

So now we have it happening on busses and trains to and from school, at house parties, and now at sleepovers, but definitely not within the school grounds.

The worst of it is, some people will buy it.

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The likes of SAGE and Vallance have repeatedly denied the possibility, and used the "93% remain susceptible" line as a major driver for the implementation of new restrictions and, ultimately, the lockdown in England.

Amateur immunologists I can't speak for, but less amateury people like Mike Yeadon have been highlighting their role for months. Yeadon and Vallance used to work together so it's inconceivable that Vallance did not know about, or understand the role of, T-cells.

I think it's safe to say he will have known about T-cells, yes. What is your point?

Using the figures in that paper, there is 89% susceptible. Not a million miles from then93% you quote.

Dr Rupert Beale commented on the paper 'only a very small proportion of adults (less than 10%, maybe much less than 10%) would be protected by pre-existing T cell immunity'

So getting closer to 93%

As for Dr Mike Yeadon highlighting this for months I've already stated that the research team have likely been working on this for Seven mo months. If Yeadon had been talking about this 10 weeks after the first case in the UK the fair play to him.

Again the paper was a prospective trial (obviously) so was always going to take months for results.

I think it is an interesting paper as I've mentioned.

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think it's safe to say he will have known about T-cells, yes. What is your point?

You think Todd and his wee pals have a point?

Have you noticed that despite all their posts and criticisms none of them ever say “this is what we should do”?

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Have you noticed that despite all their posts and criticisms none of them ever say “this is what we should do”?

I don't.

But a lot of the internet is people cherry picking information/statistics and skewing them to express their outrage from afar, comfortable in the knowledge that they'll never have the responsibility of making any such decisions.

Still worth highlighting though.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

Instead of being bitter, you'd be better served asking why our world leading scientists not only overlooked them, but dismissed them completely.

Tremendous scrambling though.

Not bitter at all, wee man. Maybe some of those world-leading scientists were still working on that Climate change scam, eh? You know, the one I reference in the post you part-quoted?

(wee tip - if you want to address one point in a post, underline or bold it to make it clear what you are answering. Part-quoting looks like cherry-picking, which I'm sure you would never do. No. not at all. Not even a wee bit.)

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Clearly going senile in your old age.

I've given suggestions many times (one of which was different restrictions in different areas based on prevelance - labelled impossible by the great minds on here).

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Part-quoting looks like cherry-picking

Only if you are a simpleton. Why quote a full post, in particular one containing an outstanding deflection piece, if it's not relevant to the current discussion?

38 minutes ago, 101 said:

No. England only.

My pal works at the DWP and said moral was through the floor due to the huge amount of work they were doing during lockdown. I can't imagine telling them they won't get a pay rise for the next 3 years will raise their spirits much.

Morale in the Prisaon Service dropped through the floor during the Summer. All I'm hearing this morning is anger and a desire to find alternative employment. That Amazon is a direct competitor for labour in South Yorkshire tells its own story.

Thank fúck I can retire in a couple of years. lovely, gold-plated £800/month pension - all it's cost me is quarter of a century of disrespect and my health.

As for SAGE not acknowledging the possibility. They commented on it on the 3rd of June and even referenced Gifoni at al's paper.

I think it is safe to say they are aware of it.

6 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Clearly going senile in your old age.

I've given suggestions many times (one of which was different restrictions in different areas based on prevelance - labelled impossible by the great minds on here).

Like a tier system?  Interesting idea.

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Only if you are a simpleton. Why quote a full post, in particular one containing an outstanding deflection piece, if it's not relevant to the current discussion?

..and yet you used my suggestion when quoting a post almost immediately afterwards. Using a similar number of keystrokes.

As for deflection, you must be the only person on here (apart from your two wee mates and the sage of Inverclyde) who doesn't think that your stance on Climate Change isn't relevant when assessing the reliability of your position on other topics. For those posters who are unaware that you don't accept the generally held view on that subject, I feel it's useful for them to take it into account when hearing your opinion on another major scientific issue.