Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

It occurred to me the other day that the pandemic has exposed a lot of snobbery in our country. I was speaking to a family member who lives in a newly Tier 4 area the other day and they said they’d hope to see us over Christmas but it depending on “the vermin around here behaving”. I have colleagues who also regularly say similar things about “scum” ruining it for everyone. Ironically at least one of the people who have said this to me is ignoring visiting restrictions in the current lockdown and is having people into their home.

Leaving aside whether or not the “vermin”and “scum” are causing the spread it’s kind of jarring to hear people talk about their neighbours like that although it’s something that I think is quite common in Scotland. I have colleagues, friends and family members who are ferocious snobs about certain things -refusing to take public transport, looking down their noses at people in working class areas, accent policing. One irony is that often these people have taste that would be classed as gauche or lacking refinement.

Maybe the lockdowns and pandemic has caused it or just exposed it but there’s seems a distinct lack of social solidarity in the country at the moment.

Doesn’t help when the governments are propagating this view by glossing over school transmission with arse-covering reports that contain very little evidence either way, and actively pushing out the message that some members of the public aren’t adhering to the rules and they are causing the real transmission.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Just as well you would never hear that kind of chat on this thread....

Reveal hidden contents

Children Playing GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Absolutely. Just look back at any of the numerous posts by Billy Jean King around “idiots” ignoring the rules and it’s pretty plain that it’s a commonly held view from certain posters.

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I know a few people who are keeping their kids off school until the “Tier 4 restrictions” here are lifted. Can definitely see a change in some of the Facebook maws who previously wanted kids back so they could scroll through social media all day 

It's quite an odd contradiction to see here... Folk are complaining that schools are being kept open to appease, effectively, shite parents. Yet the fact there are many shite parents out there is a huge part of the reason schools are being kept open, as acknowledged by the govt in recent days when they talk about the damage done by closing them. Something that many folk on here seem to be ignoring in their pursuit of a tribal argument.

3 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Twitter polls are going to be skewed younger.

I would imagine YouGov will have a poll about this in a few days and the older age brackets will be loving it.

Hard to tell if the auld yins have the desire to see folk or be able to blame young people when they can't 

200.gif&key=dea851fa2a8fe11f758e7f497321115480a5b6b3d937cf5132a4ae52e47ea676
What does that have to do with anything?
Do you only have empathy for things which affect yourself? Gotcha! 
That response kind of proves the point.
Gotcha lol your all over the shop. So before I had no empathy for "oldies" due to wanting children to have as normal an education as possible now once I point out I am able oldie you do a full 180 and say I only have empathy for my own I.e. Oldies. And you have the cheek to say gotcha. You've lost it !

18 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Australia have done a lot better than most countries.

I'm sure the lockdowns-don't-work types will have an answer for this.

Probably because their local leaders haven't been utterly useless. Look at our councils telling staff not to use the test and protect app, Aberdeen city running to the press whilst reportedly taking £20k from the company that was reported to be ground zero for the lockdown.

Combine that with central govt in both Edinburgh and London not trusting local people the make the decisions, some time quite rightly other times bizarrely holding power.

41 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe your just cynical.  It is possible to be presented with data on a subject that makes it impossible to draw conclusions one way or another; I think that’s the case here.

Of course that can happen, just don't present a document saying we don't know as proof of a successful implementation of policy. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/most-scots-think-nicola-sturgeon-23034280

Most Scots think Nicola Sturgeon is 'handling pandemic well', new survey finds

A similar Ipsos Mori poll conducted in May found that 78% of respondents said the Scottish Government was doing well and 11% badly.

Almost three-quarters of people in Scotland believe the Scottish Government has handled the coronavirus pandemic well, according to a new poll.
The study for BBC Scotland found that 72% of those questioned think it has done well and just 15% think it has handled the situation badly, while 12% say it has done neither well or badly and the remainder do not know.
A similar Ipsos Mori poll conducted in May found that 78% of respondents said the Scottish Government was doing well and 11% badly.
Meanwhile, only a quarter (25%) of the 1,037 Scottish adults questioned said they think the UK Government has handled the pandemic well, while more than half (55%) think it has done badly, the November poll found.

The Ipsos Mori poll was conducted by telephone between November 10 and 15.
The survey also asked people what they think about the coronavirus restrictions, with six in 10 (62%) saying they think the restrictions where they live have until now been "about right".
Almost two in 10 (19%) think they are "too strict" while 17% think they are not strict enough.
However, almost half (49%) said they believe the Scottish Government was "too late" to tighten the coronavirus restrictions.
Just over four in 10 (42%) said they think the timing was about right, while 5% said that it was too early.
Up another 5%, Todd will be spewing on his graphs while Therisnolight chokes on his Tofu.

Numbers bar deaths (lag of course) going the right way again. Looks like the T3 restrictions were starting to have the desired effect so they may have jumped the gun a bit with T4. Almost certain the way things look just now that there will / would have been anyway a considerable reduction by 11 December so no doubt the T4 move will be hailed as the silver bullet when really numbers were heading that way anyway.

10 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Of course that can happen, just don't present a document saying we don't know as proof of a successful implementation of policy. 

I think you’re playing to the audience here.  I’m out.

22 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It doesn't look like that to me, just laying out the evidence they're basing their decisions on, the basis being balancing risks of harm. A propaganda piece trumpeting the SG approach would have been a mistake.

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It doesn't look like that to me, just laying out the evidence they're basing their decisions on, the basis being balancing risks of harm. A propaganda piece trumpeting the SG approach would have been a mistake.

All people claimed they wanted was the data and advice the govt were acting on. So they publish this, but because it doesn't say what they want, it's a cover-up, it's a fudge etc. 🤷‍♂️ 

All they wanted was for NS to say schools weren't 100% safe, but when she did this, they're still up in arms. 

Edited by madwullie

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Just now, madwullie said:

All people claimed they wanted was the data and advice the govt were acting on. So they publish the data, but because it doesn't say what they want, it's a cover-up, it's a fudge etc. 🤷‍♂️ 

I don't seem to be playing to this audience!