Coronavirus (COVID-19)

7 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

depending on “the vermin around here behaving”. I have colleagues who also regularly say similar things about “scum” ruining it for everyone. 

Just as well you would never hear that kind of chat on this thread....

Spoiler

Children Playing GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

It occurred to me the other day that the pandemic has exposed a lot of snobbery in our country. I was speaking to a family member who lives in a newly Tier 4 area the other day and they said they’d hope to see us over Christmas but it depending on “the vermin around here behaving”. I have colleagues who also regularly say similar things about “scum” ruining it for everyone. Ironically at least one of the people who have said this to me is ignoring visiting restrictions in the current lockdown and is having people into their home.

Leaving aside whether or not the “vermin”and “scum” are causing the spread it’s kind of jarring to hear people talk about their neighbours like that although it’s something that I think is quite common in Scotland. I have colleagues, friends and family members who are ferocious snobs about certain things -refusing to take public transport, looking down their noses at people in working class areas, accent policing. One irony is that often these people have taste that would be classed as gauche or lacking refinement.

Maybe the lockdowns and pandemic has caused it or just exposed it but there’s seems a distinct lack of social solidarity in the country at the moment.

Exposed definitely or at least provided a further moral justification for people to openly show their disdain for the great unwashed since it’s not just their own lives they’re hampering, it’s yours and mines!

https://tribunemag.co.uk/2020/06/the-blair-show

Think it’s worth considering that part of the success of the Blair Years was how they harnessed the petty tyranny and class snobbery of the British populace and turned it into prime time entertainment.

Driving up to my dad's this morning listening to call kaye on radio Scotland. People in this country are so badly informed and the BBC in their desperation to air views from both sides, and gather man on the street opinions do absutely nothing to help. 

Sury as a public service broadcaster they should be emphasising and repeating the rules, and outlining what evidence there is, rather than being a vehicle for misinformed nutcases to Facebook maw live on the radio. They are actually undermining the public health message with this pish. You wonder if they'd act like this were the tories the main party in the SP. 

Edited by madwullie

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Driving up to my dad's this morning listening to call kaye on radio Scotland. People in this country are so badly informed and the BBC in their desperation to air views from both sides, and gather man on the street opinions do absutely nothing to help. 

Sury as a public service broadcaster they should be emphasising and repeating the rules, and outlining what evidence there is, rather than being a vehicle for misinformed nutcases to Facebook maw live on the radio. They are actually undermining the public health message with this pish. You wonder if they'd act like this were the tories the main party in the SP. 

What kind of pish was said by callers?

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I would rather an honest report than a politically expedient one.  Based on that report there is no justification for closing schools.

Do you think it's honest? We can all read things and take different meaning from the content.

I think it's a deliberate fudge with more than one eye on covering the author's arse at a later date.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/most-scots-think-nicola-sturgeon-23034280

Most Scots think Nicola Sturgeon is 'handling pandemic well', new survey finds

A similar Ipsos Mori poll conducted in May found that 78% of respondents said the Scottish Government was doing well and 11% badly.

Almost three-quarters of people in Scotland believe the Scottish Government has handled the coronavirus pandemic well, according to a new poll.
The study for BBC Scotland found that 72% of those questioned think it has done well and just 15% think it has handled the situation badly, while 12% say it has done neither well or badly and the remainder do not know.
A similar Ipsos Mori poll conducted in May found that 78% of respondents said the Scottish Government was doing well and 11% badly.
Meanwhile, only a quarter (25%) of the 1,037 Scottish adults questioned said they think the UK Government has handled the pandemic well, while more than half (55%) think it has done badly, the November poll found.

The Ipsos Mori poll was conducted by telephone between November 10 and 15.
The survey also asked people what they think about the coronavirus restrictions, with six in 10 (62%) saying they think the restrictions where they live have until now been "about right".
Almost two in 10 (19%) think they are "too strict" while 17% think they are not strict enough.
However, almost half (49%) said they believe the Scottish Government was "too late" to tighten the coronavirus restrictions.
Just over four in 10 (42%) said they think the timing was about right, while 5% said that it was too early.
Doing well wtf

26 minutes ago, Snafu said:

From the Inverness Courier -

A PRIMARY school in Glen Urquhart has been closed Highland Council confirmed today.

Balnain Primary, which is a small school with two classes and a roll of around 30, will be closed for 14 days due to a Covid case associated with the school, said a council spokeswoman.

The school is working closely with the Health Protection Team who have identified that all the young people in the two classes are deemed to be close contacts.

Parents have been contacted and advised to keep children off school as they will have to self-isolate for 14 days.

A small number of staff have also been advised to self-isolate as result of the Test and Protect investigation.

Can't help but wonder if the decision to shut village teuchter schools entirely for two weeks after a single case is discovered might help explain why transmission rates remain very low.

Meanwhile, in the Central Belt, the authorities are trying to sanitise individual desks of infected students and pretend that those who have spent 30 hours in the same room as them aren't close contacts. And for some reason transmission rates remain 'stubbornly high'!

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Oxford vaccine much cheaper than the rest.
£5 a dose.

It's apparently cheaper than that at £2.23 a dose according to "MD" in Private Eye. Compare it with the cost of the Pfizer vaccine which is around £30 for two doses plus high storage costs and I'd imagine the Government will be hoping that the Oxford vaccine comes good soon. It's also easier to store as well only requiring to be kept at fridge temperatures compared to the Pfizer vaccine which requires to be kept colder than Antarctica.

2 minutes ago, RiG said:

It's also easier to store as well only requiring to be kept at fridge temperatures compared to the Pfizer vaccine which requires to be kept colder than Antarctica.

Just store it at Broadwood then.

Who listens to the radio at 10 in the morning? Auld folks. What do auld folks like? Forcing people to listen to what they have to say. What do auld folks dislike? Information that challenges their views/that Wee Nippy wumman.

Every credible survey shows a significantly higher level of support for lockdowns and restrictions among older people.

4 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

you say this, but it's only auld folks that I see with their nose over their mask, mocking wee nippy's power trip etc. It'll be this chunk of them who phone into (or are phoned up by?) Call Kaye

Nobody's accusing them of being the brightest tbf.

54 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you think it's honest? We can all read things and take different meaning from the content.

I think it's a deliberate fudge with more than one eye on covering the author's arse at a later date.

Maybe your just cynical.  It is possible to be presented with data on a subject that makes it impossible to draw conclusions one way or another; I think that’s the case here.

15 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Every credible survey shows a significantly higher level of support for lockdowns and restrictions among older people.

12 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

you say this, but it's only auld folks that I see with their nose over their mask, mocking wee nippy's power trip etc. It'll be this chunk of them who phone into (or are phoned up by?) Call Kaye

Aye let’s go with anecdotal evidence over credible surveys.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

The last round of the State of Origin Series took place in Brisbane yesterday in front of a 50,000+ packed crowd with no masks or social distancing.

Queensland has not had a single community transmission of Covid-19 in months and there are now only 94 active cases in all of Australia - the vast majority were acquired overseas

This didn't go down well in other parts of Australia.

Nice of them to show solidarity to Hearts after their documentary is getting pelters 

Edited by Thereisalight..

1 hour ago, madwullie said:

Radio phone in programmes that feature the general public are invariably shite.