Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Would anyone like to hazard a guess why yesterday's Scottish Government paper only referenced cases in school children up until 18 October yet Public Health Scotland has published data up until 15 November?

Open for a surprise:

Spoiler

IMG_20201119_014127.thumb.jpg.8eb7774aefb67a4dd8738eb452e1c406.jpg

They were thrilled to report only 1600 confirmed cases for the 9 weeks after schools reopened yet there have been 2602 cases among 5-17 year olds in the 4 weeks since.

It's only heading in the one direction.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Would anyone like to hazard a guess why yesterday's Scottish Government paper only referenced cases in school children up until 18 October yet Public Health Scotland has published data up until 15 November?

Open for a surprise:

Hide contents

They were thrilled to report only 1600 confirmed cases for the 9 weeks after schools reopened yet there have been 2602 cases among 5-17 year olds in the 4 weeks since.

Have you got comparable figures for sleepovers in the same period?

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Open for a surprise:

Hide contents

They were thrilled to report only 1600 confirmed cases for the 9 weeks after schools reopened yet there have been 2602 cases among 5-17 year olds in the last 4 weeks alone.

I understand they have to choose a reasonable cut off for the data etc. to allow them to publish, but this just looks totally disingenuous. To use the original data to draw the conclusion that schools are safe, while undoubtedly knowing the next set would at best call your conclusions into question is very poor from the government. 

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
4 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
It's the "idiots" now

If you travel from T4 to a T2 authority area without good reason then 100% yes you are a total idiot, wouldn't you agree ?

Agreed.

I'd say far less idiotic though, than allowing for a 5 day national relaxation to let folk just do whatever they want and then we can deal with all the hospital cases and deaths in January.

So instead of going 'Lockdown remains until 2nd December then drop a tier until need be, even through Xmas. If we need to go back up, we'll revise on a weekly basis', they legitimately think its a better idea to go 'Lockdown..... WEEK LONG FREE FOR ALLLLLLL.....Lockdown'.

That is the political equivalent of the once a year drinkers that you see going to Xmas nights out, getting fucking pished by 8pm and forgetting the rest of the night and then suffering the fear right through until they get back to work after the bells.

Absolutely agreed. Do you think someone going from Glasgow to Musselburgh for a sandwich would be the reason why case numbers remain stubbornly high?
It would contribute if enough people do idiotic things like that. Why would anyone do that under current restrictions. If people from high prevelance areas start travelling to low areas of course it would have an effect don't see how you can argue it wouldn't. If one idiot has that thought train chances are he's not alone.

Open for a surprise:
Spoiler

Yip the direction of schools staying open, dry your eyes and change the record for gods sake. Can't wait to see the huge reduction over the 2 weeks of school holidays you know like the huge drop we saw during the last school holidays in eh....October.

So suspend the kid.
If wishing made it so. It is very difficult to suspend a child from school these days, even when the kid has assaulted a member of staff or destroyed property the mantra in recent years has very much been "the right to an education trumps everything else". We've even seen schools (mine included) use "internal exclusion" as a thing - they are removed from classes but still come into school and are sat in pupil support or with a depute rector or whatever for a day (sometimes less) so it doesn't count as an exclusion in the statistics and the kid is still getting rhein education. Closing many of the off campus support centres certainly didn't help in that regard.

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Someone on this thread said everyone's just going to do what they like for Christmas anyway and this is all about the governments being able to say 'thanks to our brilliant planning you can all have christmas' kidding on its anything to do with them, which seems about right to me.

Yes, that is probably fair.

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
21 minutes ago, Szamo said:

Open for a surprise:
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

Yip the direction of schools staying open, dry your eyes and change the record for gods sake. Can't wait to see the huge reduction over the 2 weeks of school holidays you know like the huge drop we saw during the last school holidays in eh....October.

I hope your complete lack of empathy for the older people ultimately affected by these ridiculous government decisions is down to you being completely stupid rather than anything more sinister.

Sad!

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

Not sure of GMB's viewership but that certainly doesn't appear to be the case here:
image.png.a8928d7d5588b030010bc1eff6c31626.png

Twitter polls are going to be skewed younger.
I would imagine YouGov will have a poll about this in a few days and the older age brackets will be loving it.

Can’t imagine that a rigorous polling outfit is going to be asking “are you really so desperate you little piggy to have your little glutton session???” to the respondents. Got to imagine the phrasing is skewing the results.

26 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Open for a surprise:

Hide contents

So was community prevelance over that period as well.

I hope your complete lack of empathy for the older people ultimately affected by these ridiculous government decisions is down to you being completely stupid rather than anything more sinister.
Sad!
Eh, that's some spin. I am one of these "older people" so nae luck on playing that card !

Just now, Billy Jean King said:
17 minutes ago, Szamo said:
Sad!

Eh, that's some spin. I am one of these "older people" so nae luck on playing that card !

frustrated ryan gosling GIF by WE tv

What does that have to do with anything?

Do you only have empathy for things which affect yourself? Gotcha! 

That response kind of proves the point.

It occurred to me the other day that the pandemic has exposed a lot of snobbery in our country. I was speaking to a family member who lives in a newly Tier 4 area the other day and they said they’d hope to see us over Christmas but it depending on “the vermin around here behaving”. I have colleagues who also regularly say similar things about “scum” ruining it for everyone. Ironically at least one of the people who have said this to me is ignoring visiting restrictions in the current lockdown and is having people into their home.

Leaving aside whether or not the “vermin”and “scum” are causing the spread it’s kind of jarring to hear people talk about their neighbours like that although it’s something that I think is quite common in Scotland. I have colleagues, friends and family members who are ferocious snobs about certain things -refusing to take public transport, looking down their noses at people in working class areas, accent policing. One irony is that often these people have taste that would be classed as gauche or lacking refinement.

Maybe the lockdowns and pandemic has caused it or just exposed it but there’s seems a distinct lack of social solidarity in the country at the moment.