Coronavirus (COVID-19)

58 minutes ago, Steven W said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-oxford-vaccine-produces-strong-immune-response-in-older-adults-early-results-show-12135926

I skimmed through the article. I think this is just them releasing their phase 2 results? Phase 3 is the ones we're after aren't we?

Yeah, this is just follow-up news from September's results.

The 'Big News' is imminent though (but not today)

Edited by Steven W

8 hours ago, David W said:

The head of Glasgow education has, somewhat incredibly, blamed sleepovers and parties, for the spread of Covid-19 (not that it's spreading of course). And what is more, she's written a letter to parents about it.

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/18881487.maureen-mckenna-glasgow-schools-boss-blames-sleepovers-fuelling-covid-spread/

This is after she had to apologise after putting the blame at the door of teachers earlier this year.

Does she post on here?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-england-may-face-almost-month-long-lockdown-in-exchange-for-christmas-five-day-rules-relief-12135328

What a shambles of a government but really unsurprising. Imagine actually even talking about offering up compromises like this.

It's now at the stage of almost like dealing with a child. 'Yeah you can have a wee sweetie but you'll be doing extra chores for a week'. Anyone who at this point, a year on, can still back this level of restriction and jumping in an out of them on a whim or see it as 'something that we have to do' is a full blown fucking headcase.

Several on here have said it for months... compliance, support, understanding of the need for lockdown is going to fade away very quickly as we go into  lockdown 3, 4, 5 etc...idiotic stunts like this just accelerate that.

Edited by djchapsticks

8 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

...The Virus doesn't spread between children so are they catching it from the Xbox at these sleepovers? 🤔 ...

How anyone can try to justify secondary schools not being an issue after what is known to have happened when university halls of residence started to be occupied is laughable. Being 13-17 rather than 18-21 makes a crucial difference on virus transmission = aye right.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-england-may-face-almost-month-long-lockdown-in-exchange-for-christmas-five-day-rules-relief-12135328

What a shambles of a government but really unsurprising. Imagine actually even talking about offering up compromises like this.

It's now at the stage of almost like dealing with a child. 'Yeah you can have a wee sweetie but you'll be doing extra chores for a week'. Anyone who at this point, a year on, can still back this level of restriction and jumping in an out of them on a whim or see it as 'something that we have to do' is a full blown fucking headcase.

Several on here have said it for months... compliance, support, understanding of the need for lockdown is going to fade away very quickly as we go into  lockdown 3, 4, 5 etc...idiotic stunts like this just accelerate that.

What's worse is the amount of people who are desperate to be given this wee compromise.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd say we should run a referendum on it but you'd get more than 50% of the British public supporting this.

We'll get the same up here.

People have been banned in the majority of Scotland from seeing different households for how long now? Four months? If you’ve stuck to the rules throughout you probably haven’t seen most of your family since March.

Keeping it at a simplistic level I wouldn’t have thought too many would be disappointed with being allowed to see family for a few days, before going back to what has become our ‘normal’ immediately afterwards.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not sure of GMB's viewership but that certainly doesn't appear to be the case here:

image.png.a8928d7d5588b030010bc1eff6c31626.png

Twitter polls are going to be skewed younger.

I would imagine YouGov will have a poll about this in a few days and the older age brackets will be loving it.

11 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It didn't disprove them either, that's my point. Schools have been back for months, I'd hoped they could put the arguments against opening schools to bed and justified the policy.

Re non league football, a few dozen supporters and players mostly outside. Leitch is quoted as saying the travel is an issue. Why doesn't the same argument apply at least to secondary schools?

I would rather an honest report than a politically expedient one.  Based on that report there is no justification for closing schools.

Yep! the whole of Scotland.
Interesting that a government policy on schools is a key factor in driving the infection rates up in each region. I would have thought we would have had a bullet proof testing system in place to allow people to travel around the country, if you are clear then you can travel to another region. what happened there?
What number would be the trigger for this nationwide lockdown?
Glasgow, just like in football trying to dragging everybody down to their level, ffs

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18881672.whole-scotland-may-lockdown-travel-ban-ignored-nicola-sturgeon-warns/

Whole of Scotland may lockdown if travel ban ignored, Nicola Sturgeon warns

“This is a global pandemic. Every time we travel we risk taking the virus from one area to another. So the less we travel, particularly if we don’t need to, the more we are minimising doing that,” she said.
She added that the Scottish Government was trying to avoid a full national lockdown.
“We are trying to avoid the whole of the country being in the same level 4 restrictions,” she said.
“That is only possible if people don’t take the virus from areas where it is high such as where I live in Glasgow to the islands where it’s lowest ... I’m afraid travel restrictions are just an essential part of what we have to do generally to try and defeat the virus. And within Scotland it is essential if we are to keep that more targeted approach.”
She added: “Otherwise we would have to have a one size fits all restrictions for the whole of the country and we will end up with the Highlands or islands and areas in the Lothians with lower transmission being in level 4 because of high rates in Glasgow, not because of the situation in their own areas.”
It's pretty obvious that if idiots in high prevalence areas ignore regs and travel into low transmission areas thus bringing them up to similar levels then action will be required. Initial results in England suggests their current lockdown is in effect levelling the playing field with numbers in the North coming down while the South seems to be seeing rises despite the measures. They could end up with a pretty even spread but that in itself might be seen as a result with respect to pressure on NHS services.

Eye-opening article on what is going in Hull.

Pleas to the Westminster government falling on deaf ears and it looks like Glasgow will be left to go the same way up here.

Hopefully they can still save Christmas in east Yorkshire though. 🎅

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
15 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
I'd say we should run a referendum on it but you'd get more than 50% of the British public supporting this.
We'll get the same up here.

73% in Scotland on Tuesday nights figures on the TV news.

You should be ashamed of yourself coming on here posting facts.

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
9 minutes ago, Snafu said:
Yep! the whole of Scotland.
Interesting that a government policy on schools is a key factor in driving the infection rates up in each region. I would have thought we would have had a bullet proof testing system in place to allow people to travel around the country, if you are clear then you can travel to another region. what happened there?
What number would be the trigger for this nationwide lockdown?
Glasgow, just like in football trying to dragging everybody down to their level, ffs

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18881672.whole-scotland-may-lockdown-travel-ban-ignored-nicola-sturgeon-warns/

Whole of Scotland may lockdown if travel ban ignored, Nicola Sturgeon warns

“This is a global pandemic. Every time we travel we risk taking the virus from one area to another. So the less we travel, particularly if we don’t need to, the more we are minimising doing that,” she said.
She added that the Scottish Government was trying to avoid a full national lockdown.
“We are trying to avoid the whole of the country being in the same level 4 restrictions,” she said.
“That is only possible if people don’t take the virus from areas where it is high such as where I live in Glasgow to the islands where it’s lowest ... I’m afraid travel restrictions are just an essential part of what we have to do generally to try and defeat the virus. And within Scotland it is essential if we are to keep that more targeted approach.”
She added: “Otherwise we would have to have a one size fits all restrictions for the whole of the country and we will end up with the Highlands or islands and areas in the Lothians with lower transmission being in level 4 because of high rates in Glasgow, not because of the situation in their own areas.”

It's pretty obvious that if idiots in high prevalence areas ignore regs and travel into low transmission areas thus bringing them up to similar levels then action will be required. Initial results in England suggests their current lockdown is in effect levelling the playing field with numbers in the North coming down while the South seems to be seeing rises despite the measures. They could end up with a pretty even spread but that in itself might be seen as a result with respect to pressure on NHS services.

It's the "idiots" now

I would rather an honest report than a politically expedient one.  Based on that report there is no justification for closing schools.

Exactly but the anti education, mouth frothing cabal on here will simply dismiss anything that doesn't suit their petty agenda. It's amusing the longer both governments insist schools are to be prioritised over say boozing and fake nails the more incandescent they get.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:
It's the "idiots" now

If you travel from T4 to a T2 authority area without good reason then 100% yes you are a total idiot, wouldn't you agree ?

Absolutely agreed. Do you think someone going from Glasgow to Musselburgh for a sandwich would be the reason why case numbers remain stubbornly high?