Coronavirus (COVID-19)

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

It is incredible.

I would love to know the reasons why they haven't done this or why they have no willingness to do this now we have increased testing capacity.

Presumably testing capacity is keeping track with demand an no more. 

I also suspect it's the asymptomatic transmission that is key, right? Who cares if you are missing asymptomatic cases if they don't spread it. So the role of asymptomatic children in spreading is something that simple testing might find hard to pin down, if there are one or two symptomatic cases around in a close environment. 

Public health investigations are not easy. Must be pretty hard to find willing lab rats to be exposed...

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

A pressure group made up of parents who advocated in the summer for schools to return full-time with no blended learning that has now morphed into a group full of anti-science sceptics who believe that children are immune to Covid and are not transmitters so can't pass it on to adults.

Wiith absolutely no evidence of any link between the two, I would personally describe them as a Mumsnet castoff.

So under new travel restrictions it's still fine to fly to another country but you're not allowed to travel to the airport? Deary me.
https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/travel-glasgow-airport-holidays-not-19300527

It would appear that the people of Paisley are quite free to use their airport

6 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

That's only Todd stating that, all deaths and their age groups and their comorbidities will be agreggated then average loss found, it will certainly discredit spouted on here early doors about everyone being at deaths door already. 

I didn't write the paper...

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I didn't write the paper...

Never said you did, I haven't read it but given GordonEF's post about a 65 year old I'm assuming 13 years is the average loss for all those that died, some will only have lost a few days and some will have lost 70+ years. 

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

Never said you did, I haven't read it but given GordonEF's post about a 65 year old I'm assuming 13 years is the average loss for all those that died, some will only have lost a few days and some will have lost 70+ years. 

I understand how averages work.

My point was that you can't combine the two and come out with the average covid victim living to 95 if only it wasn't for Covid.

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

"Christmas bauble" is nauseating patter, demonstrating perfectly how far up their self congratulatory arses they have gone. Stevie Wonder could read a room better.

Even if restrictions are lifted for Christmas I will maintain my personal application of Tier 4 rules.

Would it have been acceptable in March to say a pandemic is on it's way and many of you will die, but we're going to delay doing anything about it because it would spoil Easter?

(I know that's effectively what happened)

Good point made in the replies to Nicola:

In her figures she stated the 0.2% of school kids tested positive over 9 week period. Using the same measures approximately 70000 positive cases in Scotland over same 9 weeks. That’s 0.13%. So it’s greater in Schools. Any of our lame journalists going to challenge her on that?

Then you take into account that young people are more likely to be asymptomatic...

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I understand how averages work.

My point was that you can't combine the two and come out with the average covid victim living to 95 if only it wasn't for Covid.

Obviously the lackey has been left to write that up whilst the rest go for lunch. 

45 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Well, no. What we want is a proper evaluation of the risk, and the appropriate measures applied.

I'm fairly certain NS could put a flaming bag of shite on your doorstep and you'd find a way to avoid criticising her.

Many contributors on this thread have said all they need is a statement that schools aren't safe, hence my comment, which tbh, only someone completely rabid would see as any kind of support for sturgeon 

Tbh, given your track record on the thread, all it would take would be for you to proclaim them safe for everyone to be 99% certain that they're not 

Edited by madwullie

1 hour ago, virginton said:

If parents didn't want to look after their disease-riddled sprogs then they shouldn't have chosen to have them in the first place. 

I don't think you will ever have to worry about being a parent.  This is probably a good thing.

16 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

https://twitter.com/BBCScotlandNews/status/1329040759295791111?s=19

In her figures she stated the 0.2% of school kids tested positive over 9 week period. Using the same measures approximately 70000 positive cases in Scotland over same 9 weeks. That’s 0.13%. So it’s greater in Schools. Any of our lame journalists going to challenge her on that?

Then you take into account that young people are more likely to be asymptomatic...

Playing devil's advocate, you would need to look at specific periods where there perhaps weren't restrictions in place for given sectors. I.e. what was the rate in hospitality before restrctions were in place, what were weekly rates in indoor mixing before that got cut, etc.

Otherwise we are comparing Scotland under various local and national restrictions vs. Schools that are operating more or less normally. Which isn't a good metric to baseline school performance against. For example, if hospitality had been running at say 2% before it got cut, then everyone would be going on about it being ten times worse than keeping schools going. 

Also always comes back to the vexing question of identifying index cases. Even if school kids do pass it amongst each other, how well does it do jumping age groups? And if most of those cases represent cases coming in from the community rather than the schools themselves then straight up percentages becomes even more useless as 0.2% in schools doesn't mean 0.2% from school transmission.

We kinda need to know the relative weighting is over different time periods. Sturgeon's statement on the percentage therefore isn't all that helpful. 

Do we know what proportion of kids do end up asymptomatic? And how that compares with adults? I saw a study from Korea that reckoned 22%, which felt low. 

Edited by renton

On the SAVE ARE CHRISTMAS! theme..

Turkey farmers have received a welcome pre-Christmas boost after being told by the government that thousands of seasonal workers coming to the UK from Europe to help slaughter and pluck birds for festive tables are exempt from 14-day quarantine.

The British Poultry Council (BPC) last month demanded an urgent exemption from Covid-related travel restrictions to avoid shortages of highly skilled turkey pluckers and butchers which, it said, could have triggered the collapse of this year’s supply. Around 9m British turkeys are reared for Christmas each year but the seasonal sector cannot survive without non-UK labour, it warned.

The exemption will cover some 5,500 seasonal workers who normally travel from Poland, Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Slovenia – typically on two-month contracts - to help slaughter, pluck and prepare birds destined for UK Christmas dinner tables. Farmers are promising workers Covid-secure accommodation and work “bubbles”.

Welcoming the move, the BPC said: “If the exemption helps us deliver a fantastic Christmas and helps our smaller seasonal producers, then it can only be a good thing.”

"Christmas bauble" is nauseating patter, demonstrating perfectly how far up their self congratulatory arses they have gone. Stevie Wonder could read a room better.
73% approval for yesterday's measures suggests your in the Stevie Wonder camp yourself !

Despite your stance the vast majority approve of the way it's being handled and both Sturgeons approval ratings, Indy support and SNP voting intentions continue to soar. That you can't see / appreciate that is no in the slightest surprising. I don't agree with every decision made, virtually no one does but the vast majority clearly do approve with the overall approach and reaction. You have so far disagreed with every single iota of advice and regulation. But to think that the majority see it your way is Stevie Wonder X 10.

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

So under new travel restrictions it's still fine to fly to another country but you're not allowed to travel to the airport? Deary me.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/travel-glasgow-airport-holidays-not-19300527

One of the many many problems with not being independent.

Your comparing apples with oranges here. 0.2% of the school age population tested positive. As a percentage of the general population that's a minuscule amount certainly a fraction of the 0.13% of the population as a whole. Think about what you regurgitate !

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
34 minutes ago, Szamo said:

Your comparing apples with oranges here. 0.2% of the school age population tested positive. As a percentage of the general population that's a minuscule amount certainly a fraction of the 0.13% of the population as a whole. Think about what you regurgitate !

What on earth hahahahaha