Coronavirus (COVID-19)

38 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't understand how they calculate this tbh, and I note the article stated it hadn't yet been peer reviewed.

But applying the findings here where the average age of a Covid victim in Scotland is 82. If 82 is above the average life expectancy, how can it also be true that the average woman who died lost 13 years of life?

Both statistics may be correct, but I would suggest they are perhaps not accurate when combined.

Average life expectancy is calculated from birth. If you've already made it to 82 it will be a lot higher.

P.S. Fun wee calculator here..

http://www.riskprediction.org.uk/index_lifeexp.php

Edited by welshbairn

26 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's not that mental. Life expectancy for people who've made it to 82 is considerably higher than 82, for example.

Otherwise, the average number of years lost to Covid would be -1 and it'd actually be making people live longer.

13 years does sound very high though.

Yes, that's true. However I would imagine that for most that applies to that they would generally be in fairly good health.

As covid deaths are heavily skewed towards those with one or more not inconsiderate underlying conditions, I'm not convinced the bit in bold would be strictly true for many of those.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yes, that's true. However I would imagine that for most that applies to that they would generally be in fairly good health.

As covid deaths are heavily skewed towards those with one or more not inconsiderate underlying conditions, I'm not convinced the bit in bold would be strictly true for many of those.

True. I would be shocked if 13 is anywhere near the "right" answer.

14 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I doubt anyone could disagree in good faith with the comments made here by the NASUWT teaching union, STUC or the Educational Institute for Scotland.

We're not even in winter yet!

The fingers in the ears approach by the Scottish government is an absolute farce.

The EIS Facebook page is an absolute cluster the now. Because it's public anyone can post. It's full of folk from that UsForThem group pretending to be teachers in schools with zero cases then going back to their own Facebook group with screenshotted comments.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

The EIS Facebook page is an absolute cluster the now. Because it's public anyone can post. It's full of folk from that UsForThem group pretending to be teachers in schools with zero cases then going back to their own Facebook group with screenshotted comments.

What is UsForThem?

44 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It's a general theme of public expectation and particularly during the pandemic. It seems like we all expect these companies and organisations to be run efficiently, competently and ethically. 

Who's genuinely walking around thinking that fits with their experience of people in the workplace?

A really significant number of people in positions at all levels of businesses and organisations are just completely incompetent and out of their depth, and more on top of that are arrogant and/or greedy and/or lazy. That often makes doing simple things under normal circumstances difficult, never mind extremely difficult things in very stressful circumstances.

I agree with this from my experience. Out off all of my employers I would say that only two were really capable of running their business while earning the respect of their staff and obviously making money, the rest were, as you say, incompetent, lazy or arrogant, therebye alienating their staff and damaging their business.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

What is UsForThem?

A pressure group made up of parents who advocated in the summer for schools to return full-time with no blended learning that has now morphed into a group full of anti-science sceptics who believe that children are immune to Covid and are not transmitters so can't pass it on to adults.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Nah its political pointscoring pish from both SG and Westminster.

Please suffer for another month so as you can see your loved ones over the festive period.   They know people will do what they want at Xmas anyway so it makes it look like they're in control and saving Christmas for everyone.

The thickos will lap it up as per.  Meanwhile business crumble in tier 4 despite being nowhere near tier 4 locations.   Mental health continues to suffer but alas the schools stay open

The science yet again being ignored when it suits but you can bet when tighter restrictions are needed the much vaunted science comes to the fore.

Its all contrary pish and quite frankly insulting to anyone with half a brain.

Just be honest ffs.

f**k Christmas the Tories and the SFA

3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'm not sure if it was EIS but a teacher relative of mine was showing me loads of comments on a Facebook group from snippy parents saying teachers should essentially be under house arrest and only be leaving their homes to travel to and from work to protect the children.

A pressure group made up of parents who advocated in the summer for schools to return full-time with no blended learning that has now morphed into a group full of anti-science sceptics who believe that children are immune to Covid and are not transmitters so can't pass it on to adults.
Their leader also sounds like Jackie Baillie. A thoroughly horrible group of people.

2 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I'm not sure if it was EIS but a teacher relative of mine was showing me loads of comments on a Facebook group from snippy parents saying teachers should essentially be under house arrest and only be leaving their homes to travel to and from work to protect the children.

Yes, I've seen comments along those lines before.

1 minute ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Have you tried getting a child minder recently?

If teachers don't want to look after wee Johnny and Jeanette 6 hours a day then find another job.

10 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

True. I would be shocked if 13 is anywhere near the "right" answer.

Just use the old tables to see how many 82 year old we had  30 years ago and follow that on every year to workout average age. not precise but it will give an idea from the past. 

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

I agree with this from my experience. Out off all of my employers I would say that only two were really capable of running their business while earning the respect of their staff and obviously making money, the rest were, as you say, incompetent, lazy or arrogant, therebye alienating their staff and damaging their business.

A company I used to work for had two fairly large 'digital' projects while I was there. They generally used to put people with absolutely no digital experience in charge of them. This first one ran eye-wateringly over deadline, cost an enormous amount of money and then basically didn't sell. When the second one rolled round (a new website), they put someone in charge of it with no digital, tech, or web experience instead of bringing in an outside company. The project was something like 18 months past the deadline when they decided to bite the bullet, bin everything they'd done up to that point and just pay a 3rd party to do it.

It was a company that generally did well, made a profit but if you ask them to do something slightly outside their comfort zone it just start to resemble panicked monkeys  screaming and throwing faeces around a burning classroom.

2 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Have you tried getting a child minder recently?

If teachers don't want to look after wee Johnny and Jeanette 6 hours a day then find another job.

Wait, what?

49 minutes ago, Gaz said:

With all this chat of saving Christmas I'm reminded of the raging Yoon I used to work with who claimed the SNP had photoshopped the cracks in the Forth Road Bridge a few years ago so that they could 'repair' it in double-quick time (there wasn't actually anything wrong with it) and announce they'd 'saved Christmas'.

George Foulkes was it?

IMG_20201118_115609.jpg