Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Here' s something else I don't understand about the 'keep schools fully open at all costs' mantra-with the reason given that apart from 'saving' Christmas, that it is vital to the economy to enable all parents to go out to work.

With pubs, gyms, restaurants, shops (apart from supermarkets), hairdressers etc all closed, and many offices not returning until well into next year.....what work 'from home' is it that employees of pubs, restaurants, shops, hairdressers do? (Parents in these occupations can obviously still do the school run in the morning)

I can see that some office work can be done at home on a laptop, but the others?

Edited by Jedi

19 minutes ago, renton said:

An extra point to note is that the first set of data on August 30th - before the schools went back - actually the 14-17 group had the highest positivity rate even then.

Good point.

That could suggest they should be closed completely rather than blended learning, particularly when you consider how many young people are asymptomatic.

The figure for Quebec (which opened business as usual), where over 50% of schools have had cases, must be off the scale.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

31 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

It's irrelevant the people have still died. The date / order they announce them makes no difference to that.

It does when you use a number almost double the actual number of daily deaths to re-enforce your point.

There were, for example, over 2,000 respiratory deaths per week in England alone in January this year.

Given that a very large percentage of respiratory deaths atm are being labelled covid, around 300 per day is not as remarkable as you think.

Edited by Todd_is_God

13 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Here' s something else I don't understand about the 'keep schools fully open at all costs' mantra-with the reason given that apart from 'saving' Christmas, that it is vital to the economy to enable all parents to go out to work.

With pubs, gyms, restaurants, shops (apart from supermarkets), hairdressers etc all closed, and many offices not returning until well into next year.....what work 'from home' is it that employees of pubs, restaurants, shops, hairdressers do? (Parents in these occupations can obviously still do the school run in the morning)

I can see that some office work can be done at home on a laptop, but the others?

They can't work. But we've got to get as much of that sweet, sweet money out of The Treasury as possible now that we can.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

So, my partner lives in Angus, I live in Dundee. She is a single household and thus far she was part of my bubble. Is that still OK or is it now not alright because we are banned from travelling to different council areas?

In the same boat as you. All guidance points towards this still being okay.

According to the ONS, even at the height of lockdown, there were 36% still travelling to work.

Here's the current trend (apologies this is only UK - you'd assume a similar trend in Scotland).

Screenshot_20201117_231347.jpeg

3 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Except he didn't escape.

Steve McQueen = "one lad". Sheesh..

Steve "The Cooler King" McQueen was on a MOTORBIKE. I said BICYCLE. It's Louis "The Mechanic" Sedgwick who steals a bike and gets to France on a train and then to Spain.

Maybe they'll repeat the film at Christmas...

15 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

According to the ONS, even at the height of lockdown, there were 36% still travelling to work.

Here's the current trend (apologies this is only UK - you'd assume a similar trend in Scotland).

Screenshot_20201117_231347.jpeg

Im astounded that so many folk can work from home.  Only folk I’ve had dealings with who can do that are our accountants.

Stepson works at a council care home in South Lanarkshire.  About a month ago, one of the care assistants came in clearly showing symptoms. She spent most of the day working before finally being sent home in the afternoon after staff complained to management. She tested positive and was told to self-isolate. To celebrate going into self-isolation, she had a night out at a pub with her pals - 3 of whom also work at the care centre. Pictures all over FB of them having a whale of a time. One of the girls from the care home who went out with her that night developed symptoms a week later. She ended up hospitalised for a week. 20 years old by the way. Half a dozen staff (including stepson) got told to self-isolate because they'd been in contact.

Meantime, Covid has ripped through the care home (again). Three dead, one still in ICU, others in various stages of suffering effects. 

The girl who started the whole thing off has now completed her self-isolation and is back at work. They can't sack her because they're short staffed. 

Stepson went back to work today and finished his shift in tears having seen the effect this one stupid girl has had. She couldn't give a shit, complaining that the pubs are shut. 

15 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Stepson works at a council care home in South Lanarkshire.  About a month ago, one of the care assistants came in clearly showing symptoms. She spent most of the day working before finally being sent home in the afternoon after staff complained to management. She tested positive and was told to self-isolate. To celebrate going into self-isolation, she had a night out at a pub with her pals - 3 of whom also work at the care centre. Pictures all over FB of them having a whale of a time. One of the girls from the care home who went out with her that night developed symptoms a week later. She ended up hospitalised for a week. 20 years old by the way. Half a dozen staff (including stepson) got told to self-isolate because they'd been in contact.

Meantime, Covid has ripped through the care home (again). Three dead, one still in ICU, others in various stages of suffering effects. 

The girl who started the whole thing off has now completed her self-isolation and is back at work. They can't sack her because they're short staffed. 

Stepson went back to work today and finished his shift in tears having seen the effect this one stupid girl has had. She couldn't give a shit, complaining that the pubs are shut. 

I'd be so tempted to tell her scientists have discovered a boot in the pie is a protection against Covid. What a fucking boot.

Short staffed or not, surely that person cant still be employed? Is nobody going to do anything about it?

5 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
54 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Short staffed or not, surely that person cant still be employed? Is nobody going to do anything about it?

Doesn't look like it. 

59 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

I call BS on this. Care home would have had to notify the Care Inspectorate and SSSC of any staff member testing positive, if recklessness behaviour is determined on the part of the employee then SSSC would remove that worker's registration and they would no longer work in social care. Decision gets taken out of the hands of the care home in that instance, assuming due process is followed in terms of COVID notifications.

3 minutes ago, Hauzen said:

I call BS on this. Care home would have had to notify the Care Inspectorate and SSSC of any staff member testing positive, if recklessness behaviour is determined on the part of the employee then SSSC would remove that worker's registration and they would no longer work in social care. Decision gets taken out of the hands of the care home in that instance, assuming due process is followed in terms of COVID notifications.

What can I say? That's as told direct to me by my stepson who's working there. Bear in mind her employers may not be aware of her attitude and possibly the night out. In which case all they officially know is a staff member took ill, self isolated and has returned to work. 

Shocked that the people claiming to be ITK because their wives work in hospitals were wrong about Falkirk going to level 4 btw. I just don't know who to trust anymore!
It was only me who said that, having mentioned a conversation that was had with someone on an anonymous football forum. Puzzling reaction.