Coronavirus (COVID-19)

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Am I right in saying the UK is more heavily invested in the Oxford vaccine with astra zeneca which should hopefully announce soon? Regardless the moderna one aint coming here any time soon. 

I'm sure the chat was that the UK ordered something ridiculous like 40 million doses of the oxford vaccine which have been under production for months. Its probably the one that makes the big difference for us

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm sure the chat was that the UK ordered something ridiculous like 40 million doses of the oxford vaccine which have been under production for months. Its probably the one that makes the big difference for us

They should spray the country like crop dusters.

Am I right in saying the UK is more heavily invested in the Oxford vaccine with astra zeneca which should hopefully announce soon? Regardless the moderna one aint coming here any time soon. 

We have 100m doses of the Oxford one on order which logistically sounds as if it’s preferable given it’s being manufactured here.

If that’s a goer then it sounds as though it’s as close to a silver bullet as we’ll get?

30 minutes ago, anotherchance said:

We have 100m doses of the Oxford one on order which logistically sounds as if it’s preferable given it’s being manufactured here.

If that’s a goer then it sounds as though it’s as close to a silver bullet as we’ll get?

And 10m of the Pfizer one too. 

Assuming both are effective, enough to vaccinate more than 80% of our population. 

I'm assuming here that each person gets two doses... 

Edited by Michael W

Scenes when the announcement comes that in initial tests it's shown to be 25% effective !!!

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
57 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Scenes when the announcement comes that in initial tests it's shown to be 25% effective !!!

We've ordered enough to fill the Mariana Trench, you'll be drinking pints of it. We can all have it 4 times. 

1 hour ago, anotherchance said:

It's being manufactured all over the globe, think there's a plant in Wales dedicated to UK production, then you need the packaging and distribution to be sorted. They've promised the EU 400m doses, India 300m, Australia 30m. Hopefully everyone will be sorted but it could take a while. And it has to work and be safe of course.

14 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Mouthwash kills coronavirus within 30 seconds in laboratory tests, study finds

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/news/uk/2655067/mouthwash-kills-coronavirus-within-30-seconds-in-laboratory-tests-study-finds/

The preliminary result comes ahead of a clinical trial into whether using over-the-counter mouthwash has the potential to reduce the levels of Covid-19 in a patient’s saliva.

The Cardiff University report said that mouthwashes containing at least 0.07% cetypyridinium chloride (CPC) showed “promising signs” of being able to combat the virus.

The report – The Virucidal Efficacy of Oral Rinse Components Against SARS-CoV-2 In Vitro – is yet to be peer reviewed but supports another study published last week that found CPC-based mouthwashes are effective in reducing Covid’s viral load.

So basically Glaswegians don't use mouthwash?

6 hours ago, Lurkst said:

The point of the Swedish strategy isn't to eliminate infections. If you go for herd immunity you are obviously going to have more positive tests than locked down areas! The trick is to protect the vulnerable. The only way to judge it will be by deaths when the pandemic is over. 

Also saying Sweden = Norway is the height of ignorance. There are some big differences.