Coronavirus (COVID-19)

40 minutes ago, virginton said:

Erm no, this is utter bollocks because the previous thinking was that it was spread by droplets anyway and so wearing masks would be more effective, not less.

Masks are musts: Airborne transmission makes face covering indispensable

The WHO also claimed the virus couldn’t be passed person to person based on information provided by the Chinese government.

I think just about everyone else thought otherwise before they said it was.

5 hours ago, Steven W said:

I was ridiculed earlier in the thread to suggesting travel restrictions would be in place for the duration of 2021. Yet here we are, in November, and already JL is suggesting the summer will still be impacted upon. With this cautious approach that we're determined to go with, the end of 2021 may very well still have restrictions.

Lossiemouth (in tier 1) were wanting 100 in for their friendly game yesterday and got knocked back. Pretty much sums it up.

Meanwhile didn't Northern Ireland have 1600 in for their game the other night? Bear in mind that were Belfast in Scotland, it would be in Tier 3 and you wouldn't be able to go out for your dinner after 6pm, far less attend a football match.

Fcking ridiculous. It seems the “spectators allowed” to games in Tier 1 areas was a hollow gesture that they’re not willing to see through. Clearly Lossiemouth need to hold a test event first to be on the safe side 🙄

33 minutes ago, 101 said:

Very quick reminder before we disappear down the hindsight rabbit hole that the WHO changed their advice on the 5th June. I would think it would be very unlikely that any local health expert would go against the WHO advice at the time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-52945210

Shhhh.  The experts no-marks on here don’t want to hear this.

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

Face masks were a central feature of the response in SE Asia since the beginning of the year. The Czech Republic made face masks mandatory way back in March:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/czechs-get-to-work-making-masks-after-government-decree-coronavirus

Are we just about done with this nonsense revisionism to try and defend Clownshoes Leitch, tribune of the people? Presumably the WHO and experts also told him to batter on with letting an Old Firm game go ahead: which let's not forget was also part of his gormless plan of action until the SFA stepped in to suspend matches instead.

Nice article wasn't aware of the approach of Czech Republic, very interesting. I would be interested as to why the WHO didn't implement their advice earlier. However SE Asia is a very interesting place they have more species that are linked to jumping Coronavirus' between species, yet have fairly low cases, it would be interesting to see in the future if they had some kind of immunity from prior exposure.

I'm not here to defend Prof. Leitch I'm sure in the fullness of time there will be a lot of things he and the government would have done differently. Let's not pretend that the WHO tell him much if anything it will all be fed out from the CMO, I do think however it would have been a brave Gov to take a different path to WHO and most importantly the rUK. I think this was the best time to push to pro independence message but without the purse strings and the bat shit media screaming that everything is "confusing"  which drives me nuts.

As for the Celtic Rangers game that was probably the first and only thing the SFA did correctly.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

He just passes on what he's told by the government and their scientific advisors. As people on here are keen to point out, his expertise is in dentistry and public health, not epidemiology. Unsurprisingly the advice changed as more was discovered about a brand new virus, notably when it was discovered that airborne transmission is a thing.   

I think it's the pals act as much as anything that is wearing a bit thin.

"You guys stay in for a wee while and me and my guys will  see if we can think of a way to get your granny over for Christmas or a few of you in to the big match later on. How does that sound, deal"?

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Worryingly just heard tier 4 for Falkirk area from someone who might well be ITK. Certainly they are pretty high up at FVRH and I dont consider them to be a gossip monger or bullshitter.

That's just small talk 😶

33 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Worryingly just heard tier 4 for Falkirk area from someone who might well be ITK. Certainly they are pretty high up at FVRH and I dont consider them to be a gossip monger or bullshitter.

I dunno if @Tynierose can shed any light on this being employed in the medical field locally, but I’ve heard an almost conflicting version. So, from what I’m hearing, Falkirk itself is being directly (and somewhat unfairly) impacted by Stirling. From what I have heard and seen reported, cases in the Falkirk itself are relatively low. Even when you encompass Falkirk and Stirling under the Forth Valley region, the FM hasn’t mentioned the area in her briefing for weeks, possibly months now.

However, looking at the figures and the boundary lines, cases in Stirling are more than double what Falkirk’s are (Falkirk18, Stirling 41 currrently) and it seems like Falkirk is just being lumped in and collateral damage of Stirling just because of where the hospital serving the area is. By comparison of our numbers with areas of higher concern elsewhere, if anything it looks like Falkirk should be dropping down a tier not going up.

Edited by 8MileBU

9 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Falkirk is 20th right now out of the 32 LA areas so to pump them into tier 4 becuase of a breakout in a nursing home in Bannockburn would be madness.   If the information came from someone high up at FVRH then the chances are they're a mendacious incompotent fool anyway.

4 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

I dunno if @Tynierose can shed any light on this being employed in the medical field locally, but I’ve heard an almost conflicting version. So, from what I’m hearing, Falkirk itself is being directly (and somewhat unfairly) impacted by Stirling. From what I have heard and seen reported, cases in the Falkirk itself are relatively low. Even when you encompass Falkirk and Stirling under the Forth Valley region, the FM hasn’t mentioned the area in her briefing for weeks, possibly months now.

However, looking at the figures and the boundary lines, cases in Stirling are more than double what Falkirk’s are (Falkirk18, Stirling 41 currrently) and it seems like Falkirk is just being lumped in and collateral of Stirling because of where the hospital is.

Clearly I hope it's wrong. When I say high up, they arent hospital management. Pretty high up in nursing though. Not involved in decision making but probably likely to hear the chat I would think. 

Anyway, I hope it's wrong. But being lumped in by cases in adjacent areas wouldnt surprise me in the least 

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Clearly I hope it's wrong. When I say high up, they arent hospital management. Pretty high up in nursing though. Not involved in decision making but probably likely to hear the chat I would think. 

Anyway, I hope it's wrong. But being lumped in by cases in adjacent areas wouldnt surprise me in the least 

Tynie must’ve been writing his reply while I wrote my shpiel, but it ties in with what I’d heard from FVRH and what’s being widely reported. So in a nutshell, Falkirk’s pretty much getting shat on.

2 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Tynie must’ve been writing his reply while I wrote my shpiel, but it ties in with what I’d heard from FVRH and what’s being widely reported. So in a nutshell, Falkirk’s pretty much getting shat on.

Just to offer further clarity, what was said was that the situation in FVRH is a lot worse than is being reported 

21 hours ago, superbigal said:

So todays update just released.  Cases 7 days per 100K to 11th November another drop for the 4th day from  145.9 to 144.9

Of the relegated trio Angus is actually dropping,  Fife is being dragged down  by the smelly  areas of Kennoway, Glenrothes  & Markinch.  St Andrews Uni to be fair is doing a remarkable job of keeping infections down compared to central Fife.  P&K is stable.

Glasgow and Renfrew still over 290 look sure to be exterminated on Tuesday

North & South Lanarkshire still might escape for me.

Edinburgh is not going to get a reprieve.

So todays update just released.  Cases 7 days per 100K to 12th November another drop for the 5th day from  144.9 to 143.4  R now estimated at lower than 1 which is good.

Of the relegated trio Angus no change, Fife still rising so no respite, P&K down.   So 2 of the 3 penalised should not stay in tier 3 for long.  No Parameters even qualify them for tier 3.

Glasgow can claim for 1st time in since 11th October that they actually have a ward Sighthill with no cases.  At last some overall evidence of case reductions in Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Ayshire & Lanarkshire. 

Edited by superbigal