Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I passed a coffee shop in Cameron Toll today with a sign at the entrance saying "maximum 45 people".

It's not the biggest place and indoors and yet they're slow letting 300 people into Lossiemouth's ground, out in the open and significantly bigger than the coffee shop?!

49 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I passed a coffee shop in Cameron Toll today with a sign at the entrance saying "maximum 45 people".

It's not the biggest place and indoors and yet they're slow letting 300 people into Lossiemouth's ground, out in the open and significantly bigger than the coffee shop?!

The apple store on princes street are only letting people in store if you have a reservation. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

12 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Clownshoes on being asked on the odds of a full Hampden for the Euros.

"By next June we hope to have many, many more people vaccinated in Scotland but remember you've also got to vaccinate Russia, Ukraine, Somalia, Hong Kong. You've got to vaccinate everywhere in order for the world to go back to normal.

"So there are too many variables to know if we'll have a full house at Hampden but I'm relatively confident we'll have some kind of crowd by June."

It's a nonsense question to ask him, as there's no way he could answer it, but I don't really understand what difference the number of people vaccinated in the countries he names is tbh. If the SG are satisfied that they have vaccinated enough of the people here for life in Scotland to be normal, then it matters not a jot about elsewhere.

I was ridiculed earlier in the thread to suggesting travel restrictions would be in place for the duration of 2021. Yet here we are, in November, and already JL is suggesting the summer will still be impacted upon. With this cautious approach that we're determined to go with, the end of 2021 may very well still have restrictions.

Lossiemouth (in tier 1) were wanting 100 in for their friendly game yesterday and got knocked back. Pretty much sums it up.

Meanwhile didn't Northern Ireland have 1600 in for their game the other night? Bear in mind that were Belfast in Scotland, it would be in Tier 3 and you wouldn't be able to go out for your dinner after 6pm, far less attend a football match.

33 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Just off to my sons football,  the facility that hosts it and the league says I cannot stand outside and watch him even 20 yards away from someone else.

The same facility though will let me sit inside their cafe with lots of other parents.  

I went past a couple of kids games yesterday and there was probably 40 or 50 folk spaced out round each park, which was great to see.

Meanwhile I live about half a mile from Newlandsfield and Pollok can't have 100 folk in, ticketed and spread around the ground which probably has a capacity of 3,000.

28 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I was ridiculed earlier in the thread to suggesting travel restrictions would be in place for the duration of 2021. Yet here we are, in November, and already JL is suggesting the summer will still be impacted upon. With this cautious approach that we're determined to go with, the end of 2021 may very well still have restrictions.

How do you think the people Leitch mentions going to Hampden will get there? Will teleportation have been invented to allow the travel restrictions to stay in place until 2022?

11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

On the same half mile stretch of Glasgow Rd there is also a Subway, 2 chippies, a Papa John's, a Greggs, a Mexican street food joint, 4 take away cafes and a kebab shop.

I don't think you could get 14 people into any of them.

ETA I forgot about the ice cream parlour and Indian restaurant.

Bel Caio too

16 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

How do you think the people Leitch mentions going to Hampden will get there? Will teleportation have been invented to allow the travel restrictions to stay in place until 2022?

I'm generalising. But what Leitch is saying is that the summer will still have restrictions. So the end of the year? Every possibility.

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Just off to my sons football,  the facility that hosts it and the league says I cannot stand outside and watch him even 20 yards away from someone else.

The same facility though will let me sit inside their cafe with lots of other parents.  Bonkers.

Incidentally I'm still awaiting the results of my mother's Covid test from Wednesday, top service.

She also got tested in hospital so was negative in any case, shame about the septicaemia mind you but seems on mend.

I think I know the facility you're on about (but will spare it's blushes by not mentioning it). Free tea and coffee in a confined indoor space as a reward for not standing, spread out in the open air. Bonkers.

There's a real, ever increasingly, hardening mindset (in Scotland), that attending a match is the most dangerous thing you can do. It needs stopped. I see Dave Cormack is asking the question again about getting fans back, but with no backing from other clubs (as far as I know), and certainly not the JRG / SFA

Some clubs are probably making more money with the streaming service. Falkirk TV said they had over 3,000 for Falkirk vs East Fife. 2,000 of those are season tickets then £14 a pop for another 1,000+ who have bought PPV. No costs in terms of stewarding or police.

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Some clubs are probably making more money with the streaming service. Falkirk TV said they had over 3,000 for Falkirk vs East Fife. 2,000 of those are season tickets then £14 a pop for another 1,000+ who have bought PPV. No costs in terms of stewarding or police.

But they must presumably be losing out on hospitality sales, pie hut sales, programme sales, car park sales?

11 hours ago, virginton said:

Why should people over the age of 55 be given priority for a vaccine when:

i) The government has been telling anyone who'd listen that 'long Covid111!!!!!111' is a serious threat at every age group and

ii) Older age groups have screamed about even the slightest thought of changing their routine and shielding in the middle of a pandemic? Which is part of the reason why we've had to set the economy on fire not once but twice in the space of nine months and will be paying for this for generations to come.

Seems to me then that once we safeguard health and care workers as well as much more narrowly defined categories of high risk, the rest of the vaccination program should be open to the entire public. If boomers were happy to take their chances in 2020 then they can do so again in 2021 while we lift restrictions regardless.

There is an argument for vaccinating the younger groups first.

It's the younger age groups, working age and with on average more social contacts that tend to get it first, and pass it on up into older age groups. That's certainly been the case in the second wave.

So actually, if, after you vaccinate key workers you start vaccinating younger age groups you will likey drag prevelance down quicker, break infection chains quicker and possibly dampen down the virus quicker. Particularly if you concentrated it in higher preveleance areas.

On the other hand, vaccinating the older age groups first leaves the virus probably circulating longer, but removes from risk those most likely to to need significant medical attention, and would in probability reduce the stress on the NHS the fastest.

I think the UK have secured an initial 10 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, which translates into 5 million vaccinated people given its a two dose solution. That gives Scotland a total of 441,000 vaccinations from that source. Presuming though that the Oxford vaccine (also a two dose solution) is not far behind and is shown to have some effectiveness, then I think we have bought a lot more of that, like 30 million initial doses going from memory? Together with the Pfizer one we'd surely be looking at attaining the fabled herd immunity.

Edited by renton

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

Its bonkers, im in polmont which has pretty much zero cases and I cannot watch.

I was at Linlithgows game at Blackburn yesterday with no fans allowed, instead you had about 100 people watching through a fence standing next to each other.  The same 100 could have been in the ground distanced.  

Big bad sport.

Are you not by default saying 100 "sensible" fans were not so sensible, and had formed a large illegal gathering.  If so why did the home club not disperse them or get the police to do so ?

Edited by superbigal

13 minutes ago, renton said:

There is an argument for vaccinating the younger groups first.

It's the younger age groups, working age and with on average more social contacts that tend to get it first, and pass it on up into older age groups. That's certainly been the case in the second wave.

So actually, if, after you vaccinate key workers you start vaccinating younger age groups you will likey drag prevelance down quicker, break infection chains quicker and possibly dampen down the virus quicker. Particularly if you concentrated it in higher preveleance areas.

On the other hand, vaccinating the older age groups first leaves the virus probably circulating longer, but removes from risk those most likely to to need significant medical attention, and would in probability reduce the stress on the NHS the fastest.

I think the UK have secured an initial 10 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, which translates into 5 million vaccinated people given its a two dose solution. That gives Scotland a total of 441,000 vaccinations from that source. Presuming though that the Oxford vaccine (also a two dose solution) is not far behind and is shown to have some effectiveness, then I think we have bought a lot more of that, like 30 million initial doses going from memory? Together with the Pfizer one we'd surely be looking at attaining the fabled herd immunity.

I think it has to start with NHS workers and the elderly. For me doing the elderly first is really important from a mental health side of things, they are most likely to suffer from social isolation and likely won't be as good at catching up with friends on zoom calls or dropping people a wee text etc.

There are 43 vaccines all at stage 3 from what I remember so the rapid deployment will be key once we have our hands on the vaccines, the problem will be if the Oxford one is less effective and we require a higher threshold of people to take the vaccine which could be problematic if even 30% refuse

Swinney   "Too much human interaction"   the closest he has come to telling people they are scum and ignoring him.

Next question how does tier 3 to tier 4 change that as household mixing is banned even in tier 1.

No answer guv

Edited by superbigal