Coronavirus (COVID-19)

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Purely anecdotal but have a trip up north booked for December and a lot of businesses (hotels & restaurants specifically) have emailed to say they’ve cancelled bookings as they can’t survive even with Tier 1 restrictions and the uncertainty of being potentially moved up and down like a yo-yo. Seems the tier system might not be any better than a blanket lockdown for certain businesses.

Indeed, many ice rinks closed down to January as tiers make it too uncertain and expensive to maintain ice if you are going to be open then bumped around into a higher tier. 

Just now, flyingscot said:

Indeed, many ice rinks closed down to January as tiers make it too uncertain and expensive to maintain ice if you are going to be open then bumped around into a higher tier. 

They need to be clear so we have somewhere to store the bodies.

1 minute ago, flyingscot said:

The suppliers for these businesses will surely be crippled. Huge amounts of cancelled orders where stock will already be bought/produced and now wasted. 

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Purely anecdotal but have a trip up north booked for December and a lot of businesses (hotels & restaurants specifically) have emailed to say they’ve cancelled bookings as they can’t survive even with Tier 1 restrictions and the uncertainty of being potentially moved up and down like a yo-yo. Seems the tier system might not be any better than a blanket lockdown for certain businesses.

The reason for this is that the teuchter bumpkin economy cannot function without the patronage of Scotland's economic heartland through the low season. What matters is not the tier status of Inverness but rather the important part of the country that pays their wages.

image.png.5326af5ad9ce06482be610786fb70f39.png

18 minutes ago, virginton said:

The reason for this is that the teuchter bumpkin economy cannot function without the patronage of Scotland's economic heartland through the low season. What matters is not the tier status of Inverness but rather the important part of the country that pays their wages.

image.png.5326af5ad9ce06482be610786fb70f39.png

I think we’ll manage just fine without an influx of disease ridden arseholes like you. And to be clear, I’m not talking about covid in your case. 

43 minutes ago, Rugster said:

I think we’ll manage just fine without an influx of disease ridden arseholes like you. 

That'll be why your businesses are literally closing all around you as per thread discussion m9.

Swing and a miss.

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Purely anecdotal but I was out in Inverness on Saturday and it was absolutely hoaching. Felt like a normal Saturday night. 

We're probably missing out a bit on tourism with the airport all but closed down but I only know of a couple of places that have mothballed, like the new Foundry that opened a couple of days before the new restrictions and gave up till the Spring. Probably a net gain if weegies aren't up on shoplifting excursions.

Tier 4 incoming it seems all in gg and Clyde apart from Inverclyde and N and S Lanarkshire.

The cases have plateaued and started to show signs of rising since the schools went back they won't drop enough until they move it to blended learning which they clearly don't have the balls to do.

1 hour ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Purely anecdotal but I was out in Inverness on Saturday and it was absolutely hoaching. Felt like a normal Saturday night. 

I’m glad to hear that. Even though I’m not going to Inverness, I was slightly worried it would be like a ghost town up there with all the closures and cancellations we’ve had, but hopefully not based on that.

33 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We're probably missing out a bit on tourism with the airport all but closed down but I only know of a couple of places that have mothballed, like the new Foundry that opened a couple of days before the new restrictions and gave up till the Spring. Probably a net gain if weegies aren't up on shoplifting excursions.

We stayed at the Kingsmills and it was close to fully booked and also had dinner at the Mustard Seed which was fully booked. Accents seemed mostly local (highlands).

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m glad to hear that. Even though I’m not going to Inverness, I was slightly worried it would be like a ghost town up there with all the closures and cancellations we’ve had, but hopefully not based on that.

How many closures and cancellations have you had exactly? How long are you going for?

Cases in Lanarkshire have been dropping since the tier system was brought in yet it's looking like we'll be hit with tougher restrictions. Where's the incentive for anyone to stick to the rules? It's just demoralising.

I hope tier 4 has little to no effect and the arseholes in charge might have to acknowledge that schools are a part of the problem.

Where's this bloody vaccine?

Cases in Lanarkshire have been dropping since the tier system was brought in yet it's looking like we'll be hit with tougher restrictions. Where's the incentive for anyone to stick to the rules? It's just demoralising.  

I hope tier 4 has little to no effect and the arseholes in charge might have to acknowledge that schools are a part of the problem.

Where's this bloody vaccine?

I'm hoping the arseholes in charge might acknowledge it is the arsehole general population in that part of the world.

The amount of community transmission with no household mixing just does not make sense [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

16 minutes ago, superbigal said:

I'm hoping the arseholes in charge might acknowledge it is the arsehole general population in that part of the world.

The amount of community transmission with no household mixing just does not make sense emoji848.pngemoji848.pngemoji848.png

There's mixing of literally thirty households at a time in a single room over 30 hours per week, involving thousands of people in the affected areas. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what is responsible for those 'stubbornly high' rates of community transmission then even though the SG is too cowardly to admit it.

Edited by vikingTON

30 minutes ago, MP_MFC said:

Tier 4 incoming it seems all in gg and Clyde apart from Inverclyde and N and S Lanarkshire.

The cases have plateaued and started to show signs of rising since the schools went back they won't drop enough until they move it to blended learning which they clearly don't have the balls to do.

What makes you think N and S Lanarkshire will dodge it? I think they'll be well in the mix too. Probably an issue that there are a lot of rural areas OK but areas that are basically Glasgow like Rutherglen and East Kilbride.

27 minutes ago, Rugster said:

How many closures and cancellations have you had exactly? How long are you going for?

We are away for 4 nights, staying in 3 different hotels. Had one hotel close, and 2 different restaurants close. The when trying to rebook in one location the first 3 or 4 restaurants we tried all said they had been forced to close due to the restrictions. As I say it’s purely anecdotal and a very small sample size. 

I feel like a couple of people have gotten quite defensive, but I wasn’t trying to put down the area at all, just expressing concern at the situation that seemed to be unfolding based on my experience - an experience which appears to quite possibly be incorrect on a larger scale.

On 01/11/2020 at 14:23, virginton said:

Colour me shocked - shocked! - to see in the SAGE analysis that closing schools is calculated to reduce the R rate by as much as 0.5 whereas closing non-essential retail is deemed to have a negligible impact on transmission. So naturally the clowncar UK Covid response is to close the latter and circle the wagons around their beloved schools*, thereby achieving absolutely nothing in terms of public health outcomes.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/925856/S0770_NPIs_table__pivot_.pdf

Your fortnightly reminder that the government's own experts determined that closing schools would reduce the R rate by a whopping 0.5: as opposed to the fractions of a tenth that the SG is gormlessly trying to shave off it by moving between tier 3 and tier 4. If the government is so concerned about high community transmission rates and hospital capacity then it knows exactly what the solution is: close down schools in tier 3 areas and they'll no longer require those restrictions within a month. Problem solved!