Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
3 hours ago, renton said:
In Scotland, it is run by thr NHS, not private companies.

Good, didn't realise. Just England then?

https://news.stv.tv/politics/test-and-protect-performing-five-times-worse-than-claimed?top&amp&__twitter_impression=true

The First Minister said during today's briefing that staff should keep the app on and their phone on them when in schools and claimed that people may have not had their phones in proximity when contact was made.

To me, this sounds like the council (Aberdeen) didn't want more teachers to have to self isolate so told them to switch their phone off.  The stuff about "robust mitigations" is bullshit - if that applies, should I turn off the app at the gym or in a coffee shop when they have the same mitigations?

My wife had to self isolate for two weeks earlier because she had been a close contact of a positive pupil, the numbers appear be going up and it looks like councils and the government are trying to bend the rules to keep things going. Probably because they don't want  widespread school closures.  

Edited by ICTChris

On 10/11/2020 at 12:14, superbigal said:

Today is review date so i thought it was worthwhile having a look at how all the Councils are performing in relation to the tier they are in.  Gone with the overall change in the last 8 days of released Data, which i believe is roughly the date the tiers were proposed. So started with period 23rd Oct to 29th October  figures and then how they now appear 31st Oct to Nov 6th the most recent data.  These are cases per 100K population in the previous 7 days.

Start with the tier 3 Councils and move down to Tier 1    My comments in brackets.

City Of Edinburgh  Tier 3  86.3 to 82.3   Decrease 4.64%    (Not good enough to justify promotion to Tier 2)

Clackmannanshire  Tier 3   131.9 to 89.3  Decrease 32.29%    (They must be behaving and another similar week surely promotion to Tier 2)

Dundee City  Tier 3   176.8 to 121.2   Decrease 31.44%  (Same comments as Clack but maybe another 2 weeks needed)

East Ayrshire  Tier 3   220.5 to 172.9    Decrease  21.59%   (Fortunately some people on West side of country are behaving.  Stay Tier 3 for now)

East Dunbartonshire  Tier 3   222.8 to 223.7    Increase 0.40%    (So Tier 3 no effect get them into Tier 4)

East Lothian   Tier 3   97.1 to 68.2   Decrease 29.76%    (Maybe originally wrong in Tier 3.  Must go to Tier 2 or system a joke)

East Renfrewshire  Tier 3   226.1 to 236.6   Increase 4.64%   (Again Tier 3 no effect get them into Tier 4)

Falkirk   Tier 3    118.7 to 69.6  Decrease 41.36%    (these guys are following the rules.  Get them into Tier 2 (Even Marshy !!))

Glasgow City  Tier 3   299.5 to 305.9   Increase 2.13%  (Weegies not behaving so need to go into Tier 4)

Inverclyde  Tier 3   72.0 to 165.8    Increase 130.27%  (thought they were hard done by being in Tier 3 but was justified and increase is horrible)

Midlothian  Tier 3  97.3 to 83.3   Decrease  14.38%    ( Performing okay but still retain tier 3)

North Ayrshire  Tier 3  178.1 to 155.1   Decrease 12.91%   (Fortunately some people on West side of country are behaving.  Stay Tier 3 for now)

North Lanarkshire  Tier 3  280 to 267.5   Decrease  4.46%    (Again Tier 3 not enough effect get them into Tier 4)

Renfrewshire  Tier 3  231.2 to 285.9   Increase 23.65%   (This mob need Tier 5 created.   Tier 4 is a must)

South Ayrshire  Tier 3  151.9 to 184.7  Increase 21.59%    (Again Tier 3 no effect get them into Tier 4)

South Lanarkshire  Tier 3 317.6 to 288.0  Decrease  9.31%   (Is this good enough progress for such high numbers.  Not convinced)

Stirling Tier 3   77.5 to 139.1   Increase  79.48%  (Another council who thought they were hard done by.  Govt clearly correct)

West Dunbartonshire  Tier 3  208 to 209.2  Increase 0.57%    (Again Tier 3 no effect get them into Tier 4)

West lothian   Tier 3  181.3 to 180.2  Decrease 0.60%   (Not very good but marginal call)

Aberdeen City Tier 2,  44.6 to 35.0    Decrease 21.52%      (No change but another week and potentially 1st city to Tier 1)

Aberdeenshire Tier 2   29.5 to 29.1   Decrease 1.35%   (No change but maybe should already be in Tier 1)

Angus Tier 2   51.6 to 78.3   Increase 51.75%    (I suspect another week like this means Tier 3 looming)

Argyll & Bute  Tier 2    57.1 to 52.4   Decrease 8.23%    (No change)

Dumfries & Galloway  Tier 2  62.5 to 65.8  Increase 5.28%     (No change)

Fife Tier 2   81.9  to 106.3   Increase 39.04%    (My fellow Neebors need shot or relegated into Tier 3.  Might be a 1 week warning)

Perth & Kinross Tier 2  75.0 to 96.7  Increase 28.93%   (Like Fife need relegated to tier 3 or last warning)

Borders  Tier 2  39.8 to 64.9  Increase 63.06  (moaned they were in tier 2  but now rightly so)

Highland  Tier 1   19.9 to 25.9  Increase 30.15%   (Big increase but numbers are tiny so will retain Tier 1)

Moray   Tier 1   14.6 to 19.8  Increase 35.61%  (Same as Highland)

Na h-Eileanan Siar  Tier 1   3.7 to 0     (Basically was 1 case and now none    Get them in Tier 0)

Orkney Tier 1   9.0 to 4.5    (Basically was 2 cases and now 1.  Get them in Tier 0)

Shetlands Tier 1   8.7 to 8.7   (Was 2 cases and now 2 cases.  Get them in Tier 0)

So Key updates since yesterday.  Cases 7 days per 100K to 8th november drop from 153.3 to 151.2.  1st drop in a week.

Time to focus on who was relegated yesterday.   

Angus 78.3 to 84.3   So no problem with move to Tier 3 as still increasing

Fife 106.3 to 11.9   so similar comments.

P&K  96.7 to 100 so again all good.

I will not pass comment on the high scoring Tier 3 areas for a few more days.   Suffice to say Glasgow City is still rising now at 310.4 cases per 100K.

Tier 3 clearly a resounding success  !

Edited by superbigal

Looks like it’s finally starting to become commonly accepted that schools are a hotbed of spreading. The fact that lots of cases in schools have probably also been missed (or covered up really) by things like this make it even clearer how many cases have originated from them.

Some on here are very quiet these days on the schools debate. I wonder why that is.

I was told a couple of weeks ago (no evidence seen) that teachers in East Renfrewshire were told not to put the app on their phone.

If it's true, I'm surprised it hasn't made the news yet. It might now right enough.
I was told to switch off the app during work hours. Then told it was voluntary.
Would have went to hr if it wasn't for the follow up. Have kept it on.
Someone was off twice for a test and got punished by being put on a manual labour job for a day.
Its pathetic.

17 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Looks like it’s finally starting to become commonly accepted that schools are a hotbed of spreading. The fact that lots of cases in schools have probably also been missed (or covered up really) by things like this make it even clearer how many cases have originated from them.

Some on here are very quiet these days on the schools debate. I wonder why that is.

I forget, are you a masker or a blender who thinks schools should be kept open?

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I forget, are you a masker or a blender who thinks schools should be kept open?

I think blended learning has a lot of challenges that have been regularly pointed out by a few on here, quite legitimately. I do think it definitely could have been done to an extent, in ways that would minimise those difficulties, and in particular still retain availability of schooling for those that it doesn’t work for. I also think the same sort of restrictions, in terms of distancing as much as possible and wearing of masks as much as possible, that all workplaces face should have been adopted right from the start for schools. The fact they still aren’t fully adopted is nuts.

Overall though, my main point (and why I am so vocal when stories like this appear - with increasing regularity at the minute, but far too late) is that the government should be held to account. Firstly for blatantly lying to the public on multiple occasions by claiming that schools are safe, and putting teachers/various other school workers in a position that they shouldn’t have been forced into. Secondly, for simultaneously shutting down far lower risk sectors to keep up with the pretence that the schools are fine so it must be other areas causing the spread. Such industries are seeing businesses close and employees chucked onto the scrap heap (fed up of people pretending furlough means that everyone on the other end of this will still be employed and continue on as normal, plenty have been made redundant already with a huge amount to follow as soon as furlough ends, regardless of whether or not we are still in a similar place with restrictions) solely to keep schools open, without any acknowledgement of this damage.

I think the position on schools has been an utter disgrace from the start and would hate to let the government just brush it under the carpet (they will, and unfortunately most people will let them as it also suits them/their agenda).

TL;DR - a bit of both.

Like ive said 2 or3 times already. Most sensible thinking people would agree that schools should get some level of priority over other sectors for many reasons which we won’t go over.
However when it becomes clear that this priority is coming at the expense of literally everything else then the public will begin to lose patience especially when the government stick rigidly to their story and arent prepared to backtrack at all

Went round to check on my mother a couple of hours ago and alas she didn't look grand.
Anyway had my stuff in the car and a temp of 40.
Managed to get her tested within two hours so will wait and see.  
Unfortunately I now have to isolate pending her results which is a pain in the arse as we are short staffed as it is and will now be down 30 consultations a day plus paperwork until I get back.
It would be marvellous if I've managed to work frontline, see hundreds of patients and finally get it off my auld maw who has been stoating about the town etc.
Happy days.

Hope all good with your mum. Worrying time.

I don't think too much criticism can be placed at the Gov's door for opening schools fully. Pretty much every paper at that point pointed to them being quite safe environments.

The criticism, however, can be fairly applied to their refusal to update that stance when the evidence started to indicate that might not be the case.

Especially so when they couldn't have banned visiting friends and family, and closed pubs and restaurants any quicker, at the slightest whiff of a weak link between them and 'cases.'

The inevitable by product of an effective Test and Protect App, like the one in use in Scotland, that it is downloaded by a sizeable percentage of the population is an increase in people having to self isolate. 

That's the purpose of the whole thing, to try and slow down the rate of transmission by getting people who have been in contact with someone who tests positive to self isolate in case they  subsequently contract the virus before they can pass it on. 

I can see the sense in phones being switched off if the phones themselves are close proximity to each other for a significant period but the actual people aren't.  

But to switch them off in other circumstances defeats the whole purpose in downloading the App in the first place. 

If any workplace, school or otherwise, is instructing staff to turn the App off so as to avoid staff having to self isolate and being unable to work is genuinely scandalous.  

If I were told to do so then it's an issue that I would immediately raise higher.