Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

A couple of young student teachers left me pretty shocked this afternoon after brazenly declaring that they wouldn't take a covid vaccine.

This vaccine will have gone through all the normal checks and hoops needed in order to get approval.

I'll be amazed if any doctors or scientists wouldn't recommend taking this, and yet still plenty of zoomers are thinking Bill Gates is using it for world domination.

If you don't need a vaccine why would you get it?

It makes no difference whether someone in their 20s or 30s gets it. 

49 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Arent you quoting the guy who drank from a puddle? 

I heard he hasn't aged a day since. Pfizer haven't released enough information yet to tell whether the vaccine stops or reduces transmission, that will be key. Presumably if it reduces the viral load it will reduce transmission though?

Edited by welshbairn

Hearing that the current trial is only on 90 people and hasn't even been completed is a bit of a let down, I doubt if there's even one with anything like my pre-existing conditions or even age group. And the problem of keeping it at -80c for distribution and storage will be huge I'd have thought, especially in the 3rd World. Sounds like Pfizer have jumped the gun for share price reasons to me.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Nobody on here has said schools are safe, nobody has said schools should be closed. It will be remembered as the great masks versus blended war, and nobody will know what that means.

It's been literally two months of people furiously not saying things to each other and getting absolutely fucking raging about the things no-one is actually saying.

One of the many absolutely top fucking drawer arguments that will be good to soak back up when the thread inevitably becomes P&b Gold. 

Edited by madwullie

23 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Hearing that the current trial is only on 90 people and hasn't even been completed is a bit of a let down, I doubt if there's even one with anything like my pre-existing conditions or even age group. And the problem of keeping it at -80c for distribution and storage will be huge I'd have thought, especially in the 3rd World. Sounds like Pfizer have jumped the gun for share price reasons to me.

Uwot?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

Their vaccine has been tested on 43,500 people in six countries”

It's been literally two months of people furiously not saying things to each other and getting absolutely fucking raging about the things no-one is actually saying.
One of the many absolutely top fucking drawer arguments that will be good to soak back up when the thread inevitably becomes P&b Gold. 
So should they stay open or not?

1 minute ago, eez-eh said:

Uwot?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54873105

Their vaccine has been tested on 43,500 people in six countries”

Missed that bit :bag, but it was this bit that worried me. 

"The data shows that two doses, three weeks apart, are needed. The trials - in US, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and Turkey - show 90% protection is achieved seven days after the second dose.

However, the data presented is not the final analysis as it is based on only the first 94 volunteers to develop Covid so the precise effectiveness of the vaccine may change when the full results are analysed."

"The data shows that two doses, three weeks apart, are needed. The trials - in US, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and Turkey - show 90% protection is achieved seven days after the second dose.
However, the data presented is not the final analysis as it is based on only the first 94 volunteers to develop Covid so the precise effectiveness of the vaccine may change when the full results are analysed."

If you vaccinate over 20000 people (and placebo 20k) and the first 94 to get covid are almost entirely on the placebo, that’s pretty bloody significant.

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

If you vaccinate over 20000 people (and placebo 20k) and the first 94 to get covid are almost entirely on the placebo, that’s pretty bloody significant.

It is if there's a wide spread of age and risk groups. They haven't released that information.

You missed that bit and genuinely thought that all this fuss was over a trial on 90 (ninety) people?

Get your temperature checked my man.

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

If the vaccine has to be stored at minus 80 they should set up a Nightingale Hospital at Harthill Royal's ground

I know a guy who works on the busses and is used to such temperatures.

He’s a super conductor.

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

... And the problem of keeping it at -80c for distribution and storage will be huge I'd have thought, ...

Would be better if the resident alarmists would stop parroting this sort of stuff when they clearly don't understand the issue in question. Dry ice and liquid nitrogen are used routinely for this sort of cooling, so there is nothing hugely challenging about this. It's a bit of a nuisance factor rather than an insurmountable obstacle.