Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

How do folk feel about taking a vaccine that has been fast tracked like this? I’m not an anti-vaxxer. I am however concerned that a vaccine will be ready when it normally takes, what, at least 3 years to develop supposedly? How can we be sure there are no ill side effects after trials lasting such a small period of time?

I would happily take it but considering my age and with no medical issues then I doubt I will be offered it until pretty late in the roll out.

46 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The timing of this vaccine news is interesting, especially with Pence trying to claim credit for the Trump administration, a claim which Pfizer have trashed. It makes me wonder though if Pfizer have waited very deliberately for the US Election to play out in order that Trump or whoever couldn't hijack the situation.

Must admit I also thought it was convenient that it came just after the result was announced.

20 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Waiting patiently for the first person to say the left should apologise for criticising Owen Smith and his work for Pfizer

If Corbyn hadn't defeated Smith in the leadership election, there would be no vaccine.

Corbyn saved the world from covid.

Must admit I also thought it was convenient that it came just after the result was announced.
I'm no fan of Big Pharma but Pfizer may well have spared the world four more years of The Fuckwit by delaying today's announcement, if that is what they did. If there is a Pastor in the Dumbarton area willing to lay hands on my head and tell me to believe it then I gladly will.

How do folk feel about taking a vaccine that has been fast tracked like this? I’m not an anti-vaxxer. I am however concerned that a vaccine will be ready when it normally takes, what, at least 3 years to develop supposedly? How can we be sure there are no ill side effects after trials lasting such a small period of time?

Any vaccine that has a chance of getting rid of Todd and Marshy Covid-19 is worth the risk

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Vaccine still has to go through the stages of testing, approval and peer review etc. Its just happened much faster because there has been easy recruitment of study subjects, limitless cash and basically everything else stuck on a back burner. 
Im confident if approved it will have had the same checks as any other vaccine. 

This.

Had SARS or MERS become a sustained global pandemic then we would have been in this situation back then where it resources would have been thrown at it.

Experts were quick to remind us that SARS never had a vaccine developed for it, so Covid is no given thing, whilst true, the primary reason for this is that there is almost literally no market for a SARS vaccine, so little to no research being conducted.

I Am Legend played out in real life, IMO.

Listening to the radio in the car en route to work this morning, and there’s a fair bit of seethe from teachers now at the “schools are safe” stance from the government. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it tbh, although I hope [mention=22650]DeeTillEhDeh[/mention] wasn’t or his blood pressure will have gone through the roof.

That's not what I've said. 

Find a quote where I said schools are safe.

18 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

That's not what I've said. 

Find a quote where I said schools are safe.

Nobody on here has said schools are safe, nobody has said schools should be closed. It will be remembered as the great masks versus blended war, and nobody will know what that means.

I'm sure that we'll hold off on opening the economy up again until the vast majority are actually vaccinated rather than just boomers: what with it being such a significant threat to every age demographic* and all.

* But not weans though

A couple of young student teachers left me pretty shocked this afternoon after brazenly declaring that they wouldn't take a covid vaccine.

This vaccine will have gone through all the normal checks and hoops needed in order to get approval.

I'll be amazed if any doctors or scientists wouldn't recommend taking this, and yet still plenty of zoomers are thinking Bill Gates is using it for world domination.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

A couple of young student teachers left me pretty shocked this afternoon after brazenly declaring that they wouldn't take a covid vaccine.

This vaccine will have gone through all the normal checks and hoops needed in order to get approval.

I'll be amazed if any doctors or scientists wouldn't recommend taking this, and yet still plenty of zoomers are thinking Bill Gates is using it for world domination.

Wait till they get asked for a vaccination certificate to get their EU travel visa to go to Alicante and they'll be round the surgery like a shot.