Coronavirus (COVID-19)

15 minutes ago, 101 said:

Now Covid from Mink ffs thought they had ditched that cruel practice

Seem to remember reading about this several months ago. Its been a worry that the virus would jump to other animals, and then back to humans in an even more severe form. 

12 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

From what's being reported it appears a positive rapid test will be followed by a regular swab / lab test in an attempt to legitimize the positive result. From the reporting it looks like the second test is due to members of the public seeking assurance before embarking on 14 days self isolation. Presumably this is also in an attempt to assess the reliability of a rapid test the govt have already spent hundreds of millions buying.

That seems, on the surface, to be fair enough tbh.

From my understanding of it it's very unlikely that a positive rapid test would result in a negative PCR, mind.

They could probably reduce the isolation period from 14 days to, say, 2 consecutive rapid tests coming back negative as well.

From my understanding of it it's very unlikely that a positive rapid test would result in a negative PCR, mind.
They could probably reduce the isolation period from 14 days to, say, 2 consecutive rapid tests coming back negative as well.
The isolation appears not to have changed in this experiment which I suspect will put a large chunk of the population off taking part.

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:
8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The isolation appears not to have changed in this experiment which I suspect will put a large chunk of the population off taking part.

I suppose one step at a time 😂

Last thing we need is people across the UK hearing about negative tests meaning you can go out again, going out to get tested when they should be isolating, then thinking a negative result means they can come out of isolation again.

I suppose one step at a time [emoji23]
Last thing we need is people across the UK hearing about negative tests meaning you can go out again, going out to get tested when they should be isolating, then thinking a negative result means they can come out of isolation again.

FWIW, that’s one of the biggest reasons why a massive percentage of contacts are failing to isolate. So many are lying about having symptoms to the NHS to book a test and then when they test negative, they immediately end their isolation.

10 minutes ago, Donathan said:

FWIW, that’s one of the biggest reasons why a massive percentage of contacts are failing to isolate. So many are lying about having symptoms to the NHS to book a test and then when they test negative, they immediately end their isolation.

Anecdotally I have had several examples of this through work, with people who have been contact traced telling me they are going to come back as they’ve went for a test (against guidance) and now no longer need to isolate as it was negative. They just can’t get their head around it when I say they aren’t coming back and still need to isolate.

Even had one mention on a call they were heading out for a walk to the shops at one point, despite being in isolation.

Anecdotally I have had several examples of this through work, with people who have been contact traced telling me they are going to come back as they’ve went for a test (against guidance) and now no longer need to isolate as it was negative. They just can’t get their head around it when I say they aren’t coming back and still need to isolate.
Even had one mention on a call they were heading out for a walk to the shops at one point, despite being in isolation.

We really need a test that can pick up the virus if you’re incubating it as soon as you come into contact with an infected person. So many people are unnecessarily giving up two weeks of their life

Define "false negative"
You can't use PCR tests to verify these rapid tests.
See the NY Times article. None of the "false negatives" were able to culture the virus. If there is no live virus, is it really a false negative?
It's the opposite of calling weak PCR positives "false positives."
I don't think any of us expect journalists to understand the nuances of what the tests can and can't show, but they need to be careful with what they publish, especially early on, if they lack the understanding to pick apart reports etc properly.
It's always harder to correct a misconception at a later point in time. Erroneously destroying public confidence in them, before they are even used, could be disastrous.
PCR testing was flawed in the method it was being used (remember JL saying they were "a bit rubbish" as they can't tell you who is currently infectious), but it was accepted as there was nothing else. 
Now that something else is becoming available that can identify those who are infectious, whilst ignoring those infected weeks ago but still have viral RNA in their system, then that should become the primary tool for testing the public at large, and PCR testing can be used for its intended purpose - confirming the diagnosis of patients presenting to hospital with tell tale symptoms such as the glassy lungs.
Ok please explain how they are "culturing" a virus, as afaik you cant grow a virus in a petri dish. Dont give me a link, explain it yourself.

12 minutes ago, Donathan said:

We really need a test that can pick up the virus if you’re incubating it as soon as you come into contact with an infected person. So many people are unnecessarily giving up two weeks of their life

Have you cut vaccine guy out of your life or are you just not reporting his updates any more.

22 hours ago, superbigal said:

Todays figure to 2nd November is 144.6 another slight rise.

Yesterdays 4 worst risers have "stabilised"

Todays bad boys are 

Aberdeen 41.2 to 47.2

Fife 77.4 to 90.8  ( Kennoway been a hotbed for weeks and now Cowdenbeath and particularly Crossgates, so not the Students)

Todays figure to 3rd November is 145.7 so unfortunately another small rise for 3rd day in a row.

Most places are dropping.

Fife 90.8 to 97.7  so 2 days in a row in the chart risers.

Inverclyde 106.7 to 127.2  big rise

Perth & Kinross hits the pop parade 76.3 to 84.2  not too significant

However Stirling 84.9 to 121 is a disturbing rise   They had a total of 68 cases in the previous 7 days to 27th October and now a total of 121in the most recent 7 days to 3rd November recorded.

Edited by superbigal

Todays figure to 3rd November is 145.7 so unfortunately another small rise for 3rd day in a row.
Most places are dropping.
 Fife 90.8 to 97.7  so 2 days in a row in the chart risers.
Inverclyde 106.7 to 127.2  big rise
Perth & Kinross hits the pop parade 76.3 to 84.2  not too significant
However Stirling 84.9 to 121 is a disturbing rise   They had a total of 68 cases in the previous 7 days to 27th October and now a total of 121in the most recent 7 days to 3rd November recorded.
Wait 2-3 weeks for the Greenock firework party to kick in, might see figures there rocket.

33 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Fucking priceless! Humanity is teetering on the brink of extinction and your guy has taken a week off to watch the telly!

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Just a week? He’s optimistic 

It’s not really though, as he’s completely fictional.