Coronavirus (COVID-19)

A bowl of soup is a starter similar to prawn cocktail or pate not a main. I cannot recall seeing soup listed as a main course on a menu. The owner was correct and most certainly not a moron. Basic common sense.

Thankfully business owners are more sensible and intelligent than some of the contrary roasters on PnB.

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Bouillabaisse, laksa, pho.

All main courses.

I'd call Cullen Skink with some chunks of bread and butter a full meal for lunch, but wouldn't have it with a pint. They should set up a public enquiry.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:
Read the good post quoting the regs above, there is no "substantial " in them I have no idea where folk keep getting this from.

Yeah, the point I was making is that some pub landlords are clearly not the least bit interested as long as you order something that is food from their menu

And some pub landlords stick glens in the smirnoff bottles, stick blu-tack in the measures and will sell you Turkish baccy under the counter

A bowl of soup is a starter similar to prawn cocktail or pate not a main. I cannot recall seeing soup listed as a main course on a menu. The owner was correct and most certainly not a moron. Basic common sense.

Thankfully business owners are more sensible and intelligent than some of the contrary roasters on PnB.

A bowl of soup is quite obviously a "main midday meal"

I'll often eat a bowl of soup (and nothing else) for lunch. It doesn't suddenly become any less of a main meal because I choose to have it somewhere that isn't my house.

Edited by Todd_is_God

49 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

When this thread first started I bet no one thought we'd reach a point where we'd be debating whether a bowl of soup constitutes a main meal in terms of government guidelines.

Bet nobody thought we wouldn't be allowed to travel outside our council area until 2022 either

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

But that's pyoor confusing !!!

Just do as I am and stay away from all pubs and restaurants while these measures exist, I have absolutely no interest in them as it stands.

I’m alright Jack.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:
Bouillabaisse, laksa, pho.
All main courses.

Correct but I doubt that's what Todd had in mind . You would also describe them by those names not as a bowl of soup. Just getting pedantic in the extreme now. I'm off to bed.

Those are great examples that show that your “it’s just common sense” argument doesn’t stand up to even the slightest bit of minor scrutiny/extrapolation. Probably best you head to bed tbh.

14 hours ago, super_carson said:

I saw an article in the P&J about a young lad who unfortunately committed suicide and his parents blame lockdown, so what do the government actually plan to do to make sure things like this never happen again?  It's all fine and well saying that we're spending £15m on mental health but exactly what?  It's easy to do a social media campaign, put a few ads on the TV but that simply won't cut it.  I had mental health problems in my early to mid twenties and it only improved when professional help, have the government got a plan on how to ensure there is an adequate provision of this type of help?

Our government are sitting there saying any deaths from covid are unacceptable and everything should be done to avoid these, so why is the same emphasis not being put on other health problems, be they mental or physical?

14 hours ago, Tynierose said:

The mental health provisions in this country have been a shambles for years, vastly underfunded, not enough staff, relying on volunteers etc.

Covid has increased the level of mental health referrals in my practice and other practices ten fold from every age group.

Its a complex thing yet you have 15 minutes to sort them and then try and follow them up at some point.  Little point in referring them to mental health services as there are massive waiting lists and little available anyway.

The resreictions imposed through covid has really destroyed a lot of peoples mental health and we now have so many people isolated and terrified of even leaving their house increasing their issues.

Chucking 15m in a social media campaign or idiots like Devi S saying we are all in it together is bullshit, insensitive, and insulting.

A further lockdown in deep winter will absolutely destroy peoples mental health.  Its very sad and years of paying lip service to this area and underfunding are coming to the fore now.

There has to be proper investment in mental health services going forward from this.

If that means increasing taxes by a bit so be it or stop giving patients OTC drugs for free.  That would save plenty for MH services. Instead of us prescribing paracetemol at 3 quid or whtever go to the shop and buy it for 32p.

It needs addressed.

It's really really important to note that this isn't £15million for the Scottish Government to spend on a random marketing campaign.

This is for local authorities to spend bolstering their youth (under 24) mental health provisioning. Absolutely right that local people are making these decisions.

2 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

So where are they going to suddenly pluck staff to do this.  There has been a dearth of training for years.

It takes a long time to become a good mental health worker as a basic never mind a mental health practitioner.

Chucking 15million between 32 LA's is paying lip service to the problem and will do nothing.

The SG record on mental health and addictions is piss poor and a full review is needed.  Maybe they need to engage with front line staff and service users instead of no marks.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/mental-health-strategy-2017-2027/pages/2/

As you can see they have been engaging with a whole range of people, "no marks" is an opinion.

£15 million might not do enough but I doubt it will do absolutely nothing otherwise the council's wouldn't have asked for the funding as for what they are going to spend the money on that's for the council's to answer. I look forward to seeing what Fife council are planning, our problems with employment are fairly different to the rest of Eastern Scotland