ICTChris

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Surely Jason Leitch doesn't genuinely believe that the doubling time, calculated over a small period, would continue indefinitely in real world conditions without any interventions?

He believes whatever he is told to believe.

Surely Jason Leitch doesn't genuinely believe that the doubling time, calculated over a small period, would continue indefinitely in real world conditions without any interventions?

I’d be pretty certain he doesn’t believe that but what he is saying fits with the message he wants to put out there. Whether we agree with his view or not doesn’t alter that.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I see gyms in Liverpool have now been told they can re-open because Lancashire, which was placed into Tier 3 after Liverpool, was told its gyms can remain open. 

Will they be serving a substantial meal? That seems to be the way round it.

Just now, Tynierose said:

He believes whatever he is told to believe.

Well, aye.

I find it slightly odd that, among those advising, there are no epidemiologists or virologists.

I don't expect NS or a Dentist to be subject matter experts, but I would expect, as a minimum, for them to consult those who are.

41 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Just heard a figure on the radio that the compliance rate for self isolation is about 20%. Still folk were out banging pots and pans to support the NHS. What a nation of fuckwits we are.

The study it came from found very strong associations between financial status, having kids and contrasted it with very high intentions to isolate. They specifically said financial support was essential to increasing compliance. It's a lot easier to do it if you are furloughed or able to do it on full pay with a sympathetic boss but if your options are go on statutory sick pay for 2 weeks and fall behind on the bills or not, it's no great surprise this is what has transpired.

Resist the narrative that it's all down to individual personal failings.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Will they be serving a substantial meal? That seems to be the way round it.

Creatine, whey and some steroids.

49 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

The point being that the SG have a number of options:

1 - Accept that the virus is endemic (and that you cannot "beat it"), with a very low IFR, and that, despite what 'alarm' they want to portray about current Covid numbers, the hospital occupancy levels are currently in line with, or below, normal for this time of year. Relax restrictions, but encourage distancing and good hygiene.

2 - Maintain that they can suppress a virus, and take steps to mitigate this in the places where transmission is actually happening, whilst allowing places it isn't to open. This would mean closing schools, at least partially (i.e. over 16s), but allowing 'covid secure' hospitality venues to trade.

3 - A heads gone, close everything lockdown.

It's impossible to take the SG seriously until they drop the populist BS about schools being no risk, and keeping them open being the top priority. 

Simply maintaining arbitrary restrictions in place (which, unsurprisingly given there was little evidence to suggest they would, clearly aren't working), crossing their fingers, and waiting until 'cases' reduce naturally is an unacceptable strategy 7 months in.

Again, (how many times do I need to do this), I'll point out that NS and the SG are merely following the science and that science is almost identical across the whole of Europe.

If, for the sake of arguing, Scotland was doing things completely differently from everyone else and if we were intentionally destroying our economy while also pissing off large sections of our population, then again Yes, I'd agree with you, however the argument ending point is that We're NOT !!!

Take a quick look at the current restrictions around Europe with regards to the closure of hospitality, cancelled sporting events, curfews etc, etc,etc.

I think this whole argument has now boiled down to those who see covid as a threat and those who don't and there's no doubt what camp a few of you on this thread are currently in, rightly or wrongly.

Once again though, if you're right then that would mean that the leading scientists and clinicians are all wrong which would seem a rather strange coincidence unless it was in fact a global conspiracy to destroy wealth and the western Economy that all the leaders were in on ???

Well, who knows ??

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I’d be pretty certain he doesn’t believe that but what he is saying fits with the message he wants to put out there. Whether we agree with his view or not doesn’t alter that.

But he must surely understand that by making such statements, his overall credibility is shot to pieces.

It weakens the impact of everything he says, as I just assume it's equally bollocks.

Just now, Tynierose said:

Creatine, whey and some steroids.

Salad with that and they can open when they like. All pubs in tier 3 should invest in a pie oven to offer substantial meals. 3 pies is a substantial meal in anybody's language, although I would probably have them on buttered rolls, just to be sure.

Something killing care home residents in dumfries.
You would have thought sheer negligence to be able to still contaminate that many old dears in that environment still.
Of course everyone is praised ffs

25 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Again, (how many times do I need to do this), I'll point out that NS and the SG are merely following the science and that science is almost identical across the whole of Europe.

But the scientists behind these models aren't the ones on TV daily claiming their interventions are working.

Household visits have been banned in Glasgow for 45 days now, and the number of new cases have continued to rise the whole time. Now bars and restaurants are closed indefinitely, and there is no sign of that having any impact either.

The experts might well be right about what measures will help, but they need to be applied correctly.

If I cut my face then a plaster will stop it bleeding, but not if I stick it on my arm because it looks better.

Edited by Todd_is_God

24 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

If, for the sake of arguing, Scotland was doing things completely differently from everyone else and if we were intentionally destroying our economy while also pissing off large sections of our population, then again Yes, I'd agree with you, however the argument ending point is that We're NOT !!!

Take a quick look at the current restrictions around Europe with regards to the closure of hospitality, cancelled sporting events, curfews etc, etc,etc.

I think this whole argument has now boiled down to those who see covid as a threat and those who don't and there's no doubt what camp a few of you on this thread are currently in, rightly or wrongly.

Once again though, if you're right then that would mean that the leading scientists and clinicians are all wrong which would seem a rather strange coincidence unless it was in fact a global conspiracy to destroy wealth and the western Economy that all the leaders were in on ???

Well, who knows ??

We seem to be following the science when it suits our leaders. Forth Valley has one of the lowest figures in Scotland but has just been closed down for another week

Well, aye.
I find it slightly odd that, among those advising, there are no epidemiologists or virologists.
I don't expect NS or a Dentist to be subject matter experts, but I would expect, as a minimum, for them to consult those who are.
If only we had someone with something like a masters in Public Health from Harvard instead of a dentist eh ?