Coronavirus (COVID-19)

11 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
42 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:
The thing with mass testing is, even with a false negative % , it should hoover up so many more asymptotic spreaders than now and send them home to isolate that cases should drop like a stone in about a month. By the end of the 2nd month they should be low enough to permit social mixing as the number of positive people missed will drop dramatically each time
Cheap test with relatively poorish accuracy - outdoors events
Medium test with high accuracy -indoor events schools and workplaces
Laboratory verified test- healthcare and care for vulnerable workers

That's fine if those testing positive abide by the isolation rules but so few are it's virtually pointless. Testing is futile if those testing positive are not going to isolate as instructed.

What evidence is there that there is mass rule breaking when it comes to self isolation?

Liverpool Pontins sounds like the bleakest holiday resort on the planet.

Can’t imagine the equivalents down in Newport etc that host the techno weekenders are much fun either. They also seem to involve like a 6 hour minimum train journey from anywhere in the UK

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Afraid no amount of money is worth having a shite covered arse. No deal.

That’s a shame. Would have been a good news story in these bleak times. I was just about to contact Scottish Water and have them put out a statement.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

If the R number is around 1 then why are they reporting large rise in cases? 

Must be a lot of people passing it onto one other person rather than one person passing it to several. 

Anyone know of an environment that opened again around 3 weeks ago that may have facilitated this? 

Edited by Michael W

1 minute ago, Michael W said:

Must be a lot of people passing it onto one other person rather than one person passing it to several. 

Anyone know of an environment that opened again around 3 weeks ago that may have facilitated this? 

Did nail bars increase their opening times at that point?

8 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Because of your spoiler I always assume you are blaming Berkshire for anything Covid.

25 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Pubs being open until 8pm IMO

31 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

But as either Whitty or Valance said it just means they don't fully comply.

It could be walking the dog or into the supermarket for 10 minutes.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

But as either Whitty or Valance said it just means they don't fully comply.

It could be walking the dog or into the supermarket for 10 minutes.

Anecdotally, I was in Turkey the night it was announced the UK were bringing in the quarantine for returning travellers.

Bar one couple who booked a flight home, everyone else I could hear talking quite brazenly was saying how they were planning on just chancing their luck on return as A, no one follows up on you, and B, if you were unlucky enough to get caught the fine was cheaper than the handful of tickets left for any flights that could get you home.

3 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Anecdotally, I was in Turkey the night it was announced the UK were bringing in the quarantine for returning travellers.

Bar one couple who booked a flight home, everyone else I could hear talking quite brazenly was saying how they were planning on just chancing their luck on return as A, no one follows up on you, and B, if you were unlucky enough to get caught the fine was cheaper than the handful of tickets left for any flights that could get you home.

That's a bit different from having a positive test, symptoms awaiting a test or having been a close contact of a positive case though.

Other governments believing Turkey's hilariously fake figures has been one of the best bits of the pandemic. 

On 04/11/2020 at 14:23, superbigal said:

Todays figure to 1st November is a slight increase to 142.3. albeit virtually everyone continues on a downward trend 

Apart from these 4 who 3 of them have all had significant rises.  My Geography in  is not great but I assume they are all tier 3 neighbours.

If their rises continue, the 1st 3 could (Possibly should) see themselves in tier 4.

East Renfrewshire  from 198.9 to 221.9

South Ayrshire 149.2 to 172.3

Also Inverclyde 84.8 to 100.3

Renfrewshire 220 to 230.6

Todays figure to 2nd November is 144.6 another slight rise.

Yesterdays 4 worst risers have "stabilised"

Todays bad boys are 

Aberdeen 41.2 to 47.2

Fife 77.4 to 90.8  ( Kennoway been a hotbed for weeks and now Cowdenbeath and particularly Crossgates, so not the Students)

Edited by superbigal