Coronavirus (COVID-19)

It’s not really bs though. Mental health is stigmatised and mocked and seen as a sign of weakness. People enable arseholes much more than help people struggling.
I do agree.

Maybe it's me that is the oddball, just maybe it is the case, but I've wondered in the past and still do at the amount of abhorrent c***s that seem to be popular and like you've said, enabled.

34 minutes ago, Steven W said:

This travel ban becoming law in Scotland scares the life out of me. A totalitarian state we're living in now.

It'd now be a crime for me (and many others) to visit my parents, watch football in Fife, go on a caravan holiday, take a flight to Barra etc 

Yep, Scotland is behind the black ball again, we had travel restrictions put in place on 1st Apr, for 4 weeks, couldn't leave your own province without good reason.  Police road blocks everywhere.  seemed to work, as of today we have 128 active cases out of 70 million people, all returnees from state quarantine and now in hospital, no matter what condition  they are in, just so we can control the virus.

My only difference in life just now, is that I have to wear a face mask, while in an enclosed shop/environment. For me is 2 or 3 mintues in 7/11 once a week to buy a Coala slurpy for my son on a Friday, while I'm shopping at the wet market. 

ETA - I work in an enclose environment, however, there is no restriction, zero. 

Edited by SlipperyP

24 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Yep, Scotland is behind the black ball again, we had travel restrictions put in place on 1st Apr, for 4 weeks, couldn't leave your own province without good reason.  Police road blocks everywhere.  seemed to work, as of today we have 128 active cases out of 70 million people, all returnees from state quarantine and now in hospital, no matter what condition  they are in, just so we can control the virus.

My only difference in life just now, is that I have to wear a face mask, while in an enclosed shop/environment. For me is 2 or 3 mintues in 7/11 once a week to buy a Coala slurpy for my son on a Friday, while I'm shopping at the wet market. 

ETA - I work in an enclose environment, however, there is no restriction, zero. 

Not sure what country you're in, but good luck to you. What you've got seems frankly unattainable in Scotland

10 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Was watching some news earlier today, Andrew Neil and some Radio punter were labouring the point about how shit this is going to be over winter. I think there has been a huge dose throughout all of this, of something that really fucks me off as regards mental health. Rewind back to April and lockdown mk 1. Loads of folk went on and on about how big an impact this will have on mental health. But that was it. Folk seem to think that if you acknowledge the existence of a mental health issue that's it dealt with. Meanwhile, the radio guy I heard this morning said that in London last month suicides were up by 70%.

Stop fucking talking about it and do something. Let's see the fucking money, the recognition, the support. The measures being taken against covid are literally, without any degree of exaggeration, destroying people. Their health, their livelihoods, their methods of coping with the shit life already throws at them. I have ranted about this before that tokenism is huge as regards mental health, and it has gotten fully worse with this.

I genuinely dont believe either UK or Scotgov have an idea if whats coming at the back of this.

Mental health gets sympathetic nods from the same people without anything done in non COVID times. Why start now?!

Edit: they can throw 15mil at it but where do they think staff will come from? There’s huge shortages already and not enough beds. 

Edited by RH33

9 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I would go as far as saying that in some cases some people actually enjoy making people suffer at work and seeing them struggle. Especially if they are different, talented or are nice and helpful. Not sure if it’s the environment doing this or if they are genuinely nasty. As mentioned when leadership sets standards and actually cares then it’s very different. I’ve also heard bosses say open door policy and confidential then repeat everything to their cronies and make comments about the appraisal process ‘ need to get a chez longe’. Seen a group of colleagues take pleasure in bullying a lassie into tears, no idea why. Spoke to someone, she was sacked for not phoning in for being off sick ‘she was always fuckin greeting anyway’.

I realise this is the very worst of the worst and have experienced much better. Have went full joker levels of misanthropy towards workspaces tbh. 
:lol:

7 hours ago, DAFC. said:

This is why I don’t see the need for lockdowns and heavy restrictions in the case that lasting immunisations are being slowly trickled through the most vulnerable in our society from very early next year.

This is all precisely for the protection of the most vulnerable in our society ie the elderly and the extremely sick, and if they are immunised fairly rapidly, then the rest of us can surely see some normality back in our lives? (Given the fact that the average UK citizen will get over coronavirus in the same way they would get over the flu, as the data seems to be suggesting)

I understand the certain aspects of our FACTS guidance will still be in place for quite some time, however.

It’ll probably pan out that the elderly and vulnerable get immunised very quickly and the rest of us will be told to shop and drink in the pubs like mad to keep the economy ticking, which, like you say, sort of renders this whole exercise we’re currently adhering to utterly futile.

p75nbpw3g0iy.png

This travel ban becoming law in Scotland scares the life out of me. A totalitarian state we're living in now.
It'd now be a crime for me (and many others) to visit my parents, watch football in Fife, go on a caravan holiday, take a flight to Barra etc 

You already shouldn’t be visiting your parents unless it’s for care purposes, there are no football games in Fife you can watch, and you’re being advised against caravan holidays and flights to Barra. It might’ve escaped your attention but things have changed globally in the past few months.

I’m not necessarily in favour of travel bans becoming law (especially between areas punted into T3 when they don’t need to be, based on a rogue nearby area) but we’d be joining totalitarian hotspots like, er, Wales, the USA, Australia, New Zealand and Spain in doing so.

Whit ! If we are in a position to do those things, there will be no travel bans ! Are you suggesting that a rumour of temporary travel restrictions is going to morph into some sort of blanket long term restriction of movement ?

I saw an article in the P&J about a young lad who unfortunately committed suicide and his parents blame lockdown, so what do the government actually plan to do to make sure things like this never happen again?  It's all fine and well saying that we're spending £15m on mental health but exactly what?  It's easy to do a social media campaign, put a few ads on the TV but that simply won't cut it.  I had mental health problems in my early to mid twenties and it only improved when professional help, have the government got a plan on how to ensure there is an adequate provision of this type of help?

Our government are sitting there saying any deaths from covid are unacceptable and everything should be done to avoid these, so why is the same emphasis not being put on other health problems, be they mental or physical?

I don't necessarily disagree with the first part of that statement, but we're not under martial law here (no matter how serious the virus is). The vast majority of people follow the guidelines, and when it happens that we step in to a grey area like visiting family.....like all of us have done.....people try to take all sensible precautions. 
Fines should be for arseholes we meet up for parties, or do something in groups that constitutes reckless behaviour. They shouldn't be for a couple who take their dog in the car 3 miles into a different area to walk him in the hills. 
The police already have the power to warn people who deliberately or inadvertently overstep the mark, and the power to fine real d1cks. 
That should be enough. 
I know that - it might just make the "it's not the law" types think again.

6 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
1 hour ago, Steven W said:

Whit ! If we are in a position to do those things, there will be no travel bans ! Are you suggesting that a rumour of temporary travel restrictions is going to morph into some sort of blanket long term restriction of movement ?

A) Its not a rumour. NS spoke about it yesterday - do keep up

B) You know as well as I do this travel ban law will be in place for many months - I'd suspect all of 2021 minimum

7 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I saw an article in the P&J about a young lad who unfortunately committed suicide and his parents blame lockdown, so what do the government actually plan to do to make sure things like this never happen again?  It's all fine and well saying that we're spending £15m on mental health but exactly what?  It's easy to do a social media campaign, put a few ads on the TV but that simply won't cut it.  I had mental health problems in my early to mid twenties and it only improved when professional help, have the government got a plan on how to ensure there is an adequate provision of this type of help?

Our government are sitting there saying any deaths from covid are unacceptable and everything should be done to avoid these, so why is the same emphasis not being put on other health problems, be they mental or physical?

The Samaritans are still open, and seemingly put out a plan with the Government to encourage people in lockdown to contact them for support.

I'm struggling to understand quite what you're hoping for when people are having to isolate though. You can't send people door to door asking who's struggling and who's not. 

Sadly, as always, its down the person to reach out for help. If they don't share their concerns then just now its almost impossible for anyone else to know.

3 minutes ago, Steven W said:

A) Its not a rumour. NS spoke about it yesterday - do keep up

B) You know as well as I do this travel ban law will be in place for many months - I'd suspect all of 2021 minimum

Steven.

Have you been going to the Todd school of extrapolation?

You can chuck as much money as you want at mental health and it'll make next to no difference - there just aren't enough trained doctors and medical professionals around. The latter part needs to be resolved first.

Edit: naturally money is needed to achieve the latter goal, but we won't see the benefits of it for a few years. 

Edited by Michael W

7 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, the LOCK UP THE OLD AND VULNERABLE AND KEEP THE PUBS OPEN message would have worked much better.

Telling vulnerable groups to shield and not cratering the economy for *checks notes* the second time in seven months would indeed have 'worked much better' than this utter fail of a response, yes.