Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We are being lubed here copiously for some T4 restrictions at the review next week or the week after. It's becoming fairly obvious from the rhetoric.

Be difficult to justify it if the indicators used show the position no worse than when the tiers were initially announced for the T3 areas.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

While this is obviously very sad it's fortunate in a way that this happened precisely on the day before the tiers are reviewed when furlough has been extended

If it was the first time seeing such a coincidence you wouldn't raise an eyebrow...

Great to see the 'circuit breaker' being so successful, though. Really builds trust that they know what they are doing.

I don't think "it would have worked if only we had closed gyms and nail bars too" will be enough to convince people we need to go to L4.

Edited by Todd_is_God

17 hours ago, Steven W said:

Bit puzzled as to why we've (as far as I know) heard nothing from either Ross County or Elgin City. Or moreover the SFA. Both clubs in tier one and fans as stadia therefore permissable, albeit with restrictions.

Country play on Friday and could have fans there - surely something they'd be keen to see happen. I've long suspected that the SFA will not allow fans until OF fans can attend. Beginning to look that way now.

in answer to myself....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54808104  So it would seem that someone, somewhere is deliberately holding things back.

No mention of Elgin I notice (or the NCL).

Edited by Steven W

5 hours ago, Snafu said:

I don't remember getting a choice in school with vaccinations.

I also remember not having a choice like the rest of the boys in my year to have my balls felt by a nurse to check and see if everything was normal.

^^^ got the warmed spoon treatment

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

While this is obviously very sad it's fortunate in a way that this happened precisely on the day before the tiers are reviewed when furlough has been extended

The next review date for restrictions in Scotland is Tuesday 10th?

After a week of the numbers beginning to look like they were slowing, today's figures are a worry. 50 deaths, 1400 cases, 900 of them in just two health boards (Greater Glasgow & Lanarkshire). If today isn't just a blip, can see a stricter lockdown coming for at least some of the central belt. 

It's a bit worrying that the assurance from Douglas Ross about finances is being framed as  a guarantees that if a full national lockdown is implemented in Scotland, the UK chancellor will provide full 80% furlough for as long as required. We don't need a full national lockdown, not sure we ever will need one as so far outwith the central belt (and even parts of it like Stirling) are doing ok.

Positivity is down and number of tests up with respect to the two previous days which had quite low numbers of tests carried out and high +ve rates. May be less of a spike and more a course correction back to normal. Will be more obvious once the specimen date graphs catch up in a day or two.

8 minutes ago, renton said:

Will be more obvious once the specimen date graphs catch up in a day or two.

One of the odd things for me is that whenever NS or another SG minister refers to the figures, they always make it sound like that's what actually happened yesterday, when if fact it's not the actual date someone died, nor in many (most?) cases the day they were actually tested. Scotland's figures are so wildly affected by simple things like the weekend that it seems pointless commenting on daily changes.

23 hours ago, superbigal said:

Todays figure to 31st october 7 days positive figures in Scotland is 141.8 so it has dropped another 2.25%

7 day cases dropped 16.69% since "the peak" on 25th October.

Todays figure to 1st November is a slight increase to 142.3. albeit virtually everyone continues on a downward trend 

Apart from these 4 who 3 of them have all had significant rises.  My Geography in  is not great but I assume they are all tier 3 neighbours.

If their rises continue, the 1st 3 could (Possibly should) see themselves in tier 4.

East Renfrewshire  from 198.9 to 221.9

South Ayrshire 149.2 to 172.3

Also Inverclyde 84.8 to 100.3

Renfrewshire 220 to 230.6

Edited by superbigal

1 minute ago, bendan said:

One of the odd things for me is that whenever NS or another SG minister refers to the figures, they always make it sound like that's what actually happened yesterday, when if fact it's not the actual date someone died, nor in many (most?) cases the day they were actually tested. Scotland's figures are so wildly affected by simple things like the weekend that it seems pointless commenting on daily changes.

That's why I like the Public Health Scotland Dashboard. It plots by test specimen date. Means you have to wait a few days to see the trend as it takes that long for each day's points to become accurate, but it gives you a more precise idea of what is going on.

1 hour ago, renton said:

That's why I like the Public Health Scotland Dashboard. It plots by test specimen date. Means you have to wait a few days to see the trend as it takes that long for each day's points to become accurate, but it gives you a more precise idea of what is going on.

This is something that NS/The SG really should be pointing out, or that should be the way in which cases are reported (even if it's only weekly).  Today's case rise sounds massive, but if it's actually been spread out over a few days then it should (hopefully)  be a sign that infections are not rising significantly again.  I must admit when I first looked at the PHS dashboard I was always confused as to why the number of cases looked significant different - I think when the specimen was taken is far more significant than when the cases are reported.  

Looking  at NHS Lothian and Edinburgh City's stats on PHS show a clear downward trajectory.  My only concern would be that if they decided Glasgow/Lanarkshire needed to be Tier 4 then we would get lumped in with them due to our relative proximity.  I'm not sure what difference making it law to travel between areas would make, unless they were prepared to put the police on the roads.  I know the Gardai did that in Ireland between counties, but it caused massive delays and I'm not sure how well that would work in terms of the commuter towns around the central belt.  

Personally I can just about handle tier 3 as it is, seeing as I can do some training and my Dad is part of my extended bubble.  Tier 4 in a Scottish winter though, absolutely brutal. 

10 minutes ago, super_carson said:

This is something that NS/The SG really should be pointing out, or that should be the way in which cases are reported (even if it's only weekly).  Today's case rise sounds massive, but if it's actually been spread out over a few days then it should (hopefully)  be a sign that infections are not rising significantly again.  I must admit when I first looked at the PHS dashboard I was always confused as to why the number of cases looked significant different - I think when the specimen was taken is far more significant than when the cases are reported. 

I think you'd have to be living with your head in the sand to still think that the daily figures literally refer to the last 24 hours.

That said, it requires you to do some research yourself other than just watch the news, which reflects poorly, but accurately, on the standard of our journalists tbh.

I think you'd have to be living with your head in the sand to still think that the daily figures literally refer to the last 24 hours.
That said, it requires you to do some research yourself other than just watch the news, which reflects poorly, but accurately, on the standard of our journalists tbh.
I think this is the problem with the whole way this has been reported, it's all sensationalist headlines at the moment and its not helping form rational reactions.

46 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Lots of journos literally say 'have died within the last 24 hours' - pretty sure NS has said so herself on occasion.

2 hours ago, superbigal said:

Todays figure to 1st November is a slight increase to 142.3. albeit virtually everyone continues on a downward trend 

Apart from these 4 who 3 of them have all had significant rises.  My Geography in  is not great but I assume they are all tier 3 neighbours.

If their rises continue, the 1st 3 could (Possibly should) see themselves in tier 4.

East Renfrewshire  from 198.9 to 221.9

South Ayrshire 149.2 to 172.3

Also Inverclyde 84.8 to 100.3

Renfrewshire 220 to 230.6

220 to 230 in Renfrewshire is an extra 18 cases. 

East Ren is an extra 20. South Ayrshire is an extra 24. Inverclyde is an extra 12.

Moving up a tier for that would be the height of stupidity.

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

220 to 230 in Renfrewshire is an extra 18 cases. 

East Ren is an extra 20. South Ayrshire is an extra 24. Inverclyde is an extra 12.

Moving up a tier for that would be the height of stupidity.

But they can get teh money!!1!