Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Boris' chums flinging his impartial advisors under the bus when him and his political appointees have been so horrifically useless. Who would have thought it.

All Whitty really has to say is that he told Johnson to tighten restrictions month ago, that Tier 3 might not be enough and that he should've implemented the circuit breaker. He can quite easily chuck the PM under a bus whilst he's explaining the charts - that one works both ways. 

It's not a bad thing that they're called in front of the committee to explain things when the government has been ruling by decree for months. Unfortunately, this hearing will no doubt be hijacked by MPs looking for the headlines and wanting to know when granny can hug her grandaughter again and to ensure the schools remain open because little Kayden spent the whole time pieing his school work off in April. 

Edited by Michael W

5 hours ago, harry94 said:

The modelling paper released last week had 6 icu cases in N and S lanarrkshire and a capacity of 40 overall for Lanarkshire. The forecast is that would spike to 60 after 2 weeks, 117 after 5 weeks.

I don't think it's appreciated how just a few dozen added to that sort of critical care capacity can be such a major problem.

The issue is people admitted to critical care with covid, particularly those ventilated ones, can be there for months. People seldom are in ITU for that length of time with many other conditions. I know we were taking on ITU patients from Monklands and Wishaw. 

Hairmyres just went with the pre-emptive burn the infected approach. 

edit to add, I start a new job in NHS Lanarkshire soon, pray for me P&B :lol:

Edited by SoapMactavish

I know that, and it is absolutely an argument in favour of independence. But, in the mean time, the SG can still do something about it. Would it be popular? No. But if it's needed then I don't see the alternative.

The Scottish Government's tax raising powers would scratch the surface. 

Until we have full fiscal autonomy and borrowing powers we will be beggars looking for the crumbs off Westminster's table.

32 minutes ago, 101 said:

Boris' chums flinging his impartial advisors under the bus when him and his political appointees have been so horrifically useless. Who would have thought it.

I can see him going full Trump and appointing Dominic Cummings as the next Chief Medical Officer.

All Whitty really has to say is that he told Johnson to tighten restrictions month ago, that Tier 3 might not be enough and that he should've implemented the circuit breaker. He can quite easily chuck the PM under a bus whilst he's explaining the charts - that one works both ways. 
It's not a bad thing that they're called in front of the committee to explain things when the government has been ruling by decree for months. Unfortunately, this hearing will no doubt be hijacked by MPs looking for the headlines and wanting to know when granny can hug her grandaughter again and to ensure the schools remain open because little Kayden spent the whole time pieing his school work off in April. 

He will be thrown under the bus over his advice at the start of the first wave.

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
10 hours ago, Steven W said:
Was it last week Fiona Hyslop was encouraging us to do our Christmas shopping early this year? And then this week the shops will be getting shut?

I've done most of mine.

"They're all getting bog roll" type post

55 minutes ago, Donathan said:

He will be thrown under the bus over his advice at the start of the first wave.

Some of the advice given back then was utterly horrendous and, to be frank, I would rather like them to explain why they gave it. Not necessarily now, but whenever the enquiry comes. 

So for once something that BJ said looks like coming to fruition with the extermination of the entire population of Liverpool. 
Is this kind of thing a devolved matter? Might we see the same for Glasgow and Lanarkshire before too long?

[emoji106]

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.politico.eu/article/slovakia-tests-more-than-3-million-people-for-coronavirus/amp/

Slovakia did mass testing (albeit the mass test type is less sensitive than PCR, apparently) over the weekend. Detailed breakdown will be interesting. Planning on repeating the exercise in a month.

Rob Jenrick now walking back on Johnson’s commitment last night to allow the furlough scheme to be accessed by devolved govts at a later date, instead advising it’ll be a “case by case” basis.

These c***s are already shifting the goalposts.

13 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Rob Jenrick now walking back on Johnson’s commitment last night to allow the furlough scheme to be accessed by devolved govts at a later date, instead advising it’ll be a “case by case” basis.

These c***s are already shifting the goalposts.

Aye, and no doubt the whips office is currently relocating Ross' linesman flag somewhere less than comfortable.

Aye, and no doubt the whips office is currently relocating Ross' linesman flag somewhere less than comfortable.

I’ve been convinced for months the Tory party have deliberately set Ross up for failure as punishment for his comments towards Cummings.

So for once something that BJ said looks like coming to fruition with the testing of the entire population of Liverpool. 
Is this kind of thing a devolved matter? Might we see the same for Glasgow and Lanarkshire before too long?
Isn't this a stress test for their mass testing plans to allow students to travel home at Christmas ? Looks like it to me given they claim a fair proportion will be a new rapid 1hr no lab test.