Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Did a check to see what was happening to 7-day rates since a week ago. Rates have fallen for all LAs except:

* Argyll & Bute

* Falkirk

* Highland

* Inverclyde

* Perth & Kinross

* West Dunbartonshire

Of those only West Dumbartonshire has had a significant rise (now up over 200) - the rest are only minor rises.

Big drops in Glasgow, both Lanarkshires and the Ayrshire Councils. Even Dundee has dropped.

Seems to be that things are moving in the right direction in Scotland - that we should stick with the 5 levels and no lockdown.

If anything I would hope that in 2 weeks time some areas would be moved down a level.

Did a check to see what was happening to 7-day rates since a week ago. Rates have fallen for all LAs except:

* Argyll & Bute
* Falkirk
* Highland
* Inverclyde
* Perth & Kinross
* West Dunbartonshire

Of those only West Dumbartonshire has had a significant rise (now up over 200) - the rest are only minor rises.

Big drops in Glasgow, both Lanarkshires and the Ayrshire Councils. Even Dundee has dropped.

Seems to be that things are moving in the right direction in Scotland - that we should stick with the 5 levels and no lockdown.

If anything I would hope that in 2 weeks time some areas would be moved down a level.

Been keeping more of an eye on the 7 day rates myself recently. Hopefully recent trends are enough to keep Lanarkshire out of level 4 for the time being anyway.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

An ICU capacity of 40 for a region of over 650,000 is scandalous tbh.

When this is done, maybe we should be asking questions of the SG with regards to why they have spent 13 years prioritising and chucking money at things such as free bus travel for over 55s (and there was a suggestion this should be extended to include under 18s also) rather than investing in making our NHS fit for purpose.

If you believe the NHS is hugely underfunded, then I don't think it's the SG who should be answering your question.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I’m not sure if you’re deliberately obtuse or just thick.

How? The SG have a budget, and also a means to generate income through taxation.

If the SG feel that the money that comes from WM isn't enough to adequately fund the required investment in the NHS in Scotland then they have two options. Cut back spending elsewhere, or raise taxes to generate the required funds. The exact same two options we'd have as an independent country.

Perfectly acceptable to criticise the SG if the NHS in Scotland has not received enough investment.

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

How? The SG have a budget, and also a means to generate income through taxation.

If the SG feel that the money that comes from WM isn't enough to adequately fund the required investment in the NHS in Scotland then they have two options. Cut back spending elsewhere, or raise taxes to generate the required funds. The exact same two options we'd have as an independent country.

Perfectly acceptable to criticise the SG if the NHS in Scotland has not received enough investment.

The NHS is woefully underfunded. There was this thing called ‘austerity’. All public sector areas are criminally underfunded and when the tories enact their evil policies down south they cut funding to Scotland ‘if we can cut down by this then you can too’ in Barnett consequentials. I do suspect you already know that though. The PFI legacy also seems to have had significant impact on public spending. 

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The NHS is woefully underfunded. There was this thing called ‘austerity’. All public sector areas are criminally underfunded and when the tories enact their evil policies down south they cut funding to Scotland ‘if we can cut down by this then you can too’ in Barnett consequentials. I do suspect you already know that though. The PFI legacy also seems to have had significant impact on public spending. 

I know that, and it is absolutely an argument in favour of independence. But, in the mean time, the SG can still do something about it. Would it be popular? No. But if it's needed then I don't see the alternative.

30 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Yeah I reckon that’s probably the case.  Is Todd just lonely and this is his way of engaging?

I think it's good that during what is still very much a public health crisis that TiG has recognised that the NHS is underfunded and that that underfunding is part of why we were so vulnerable when exposed to this ongoing public health crisis. 

What is less good, but is typical when you don't do nuance or attention to detail, is that in his haste to indulge in NS/SNP bad like bashing he's interpreted a complex ideological debate that stretches back generations in the most simplistic of terms. 

I think folk called it a few months ago that these two would get made scapegoats 

It’ll be those two and Matt Hancock (he’s the only high profile member of Johnson’s cabinet that was a remain supporter, very clear they’re keeping him as a scapegoat)

Cut back spending elsewhere, or raise taxes to generate the required funds. The exact same two options we'd have as an independent country.

Most independent countries have borrowing powers as well.

You don’t think furlough has been paid for by raising taxes or cutting back elsewhere do you?

Everyone living or working in Liverpool will be offered regular covid-19 tests in the first whole city programme in the country - with rapid turnaround tests available across the city from Friday.

Two thousand military personnel will arrive in the city later this week to roll-out a huge programme of hundreds of thousands of tests as Liverpool becomes the centre of the government's new strategy to fight the virus.

Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has talked of rapid mass testing as offering a "moonshot" solution which could help bring the UK out of the coronavirus crisis - and the key plan will begin in Liverpool this week.

Local leaders have been working with government and put the city forward for the crucial pilot programme in the hope it will drive down infection levels and potentially mean an easing of restrictions before Christmas.

Liverpool residents and workers will be tested using a combination of existing swab tests, as well as new lateral flow tests, which can rapidly turn around results within an hour without the need to be processed in a lab, as well as ‘LAMP’ technology due to be deployed in Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust for NHS staff.

The pilot will help to inform a blueprint for how mass testing can be achieved and how fast and reliable covid-19 testing can be delivered at scale.

Boris is giving his moonshot a go in Liverpool by the looks of things.

Edited by David W