Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Re the Oxford vaccine story, theres a lot thats suggested this would be the case over the last few weeks IMO and I do find it odd the amount of folk still convinced a vaccine is miles away.

Folk will 100% be getting a vaccine before Christmas.

It would be typical of the WM government that, should a vaccine be available next month, they would roll it out in the area perhaps least needing of it, rather than their Tier 3 areas.

Unless, of course, they want to 'prove' how effective it is by using it first in areas where deaths and serious cases are already relatively low.

If a vaccine is ready for christmas they should put the shot in a cracker with a wee joke and a mini moustache to brighten up the sombre mood in Blighty.

* The public will also know that anyone wearing a small plastic moustache is safe to interact with without fear of infection.

Edited by dirty dingus

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

Appreciate we're only really about seven months into all this, but there are only a handful of reported cases where people have been reinfected with the virus. This included a prominent case in Hong Kong, where it turned out that the person concerned had contracted two different strains of it. 

No point worrying about it until we start seeing more regular reports of reinfection. There's enough to worry about currently as it stands without adding to it. 

You can never have too many things to worry about...

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Think it's more likely that hospital staff have volunteered to be part of the phase 3 trials than it getting rolled out on Monday.

Any roll out is going to be phased anyway, but are they really going to expand phase three to that level, thousands of hospital staff will get placebo and a single illness can stop it in its tracks at this stage?

11 hours ago, ICTChris said:

As much as I’d love to join in the pile on, the March lockdown was particularly hard on people who live alone. For a significant period they were basically required to be hermits. I’m not sure on the figures but I’d bet that also disproportionately affected young people as well.

Can raise my hand to this one. The thought of doing it again through the winter is pretty miserable.

Far from only testing symptomatic people, around ⅔ of people recently tested had no symptoms.

Why are we testing so many asymptomatic people with a test that is most useful 2 days following the onset of symptoms?

Edited by Todd_is_God

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Any roll out is going to be phased anyway, but are they really going to expand phase three to that level, thousands of hospital staff will get placebo and a single illness can stop it in its tracks at this stage?

I was thinking of one hospital where the Sun might have got the wrong idea about what was happening, not nationwide.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I was thinking of one hospital where the Sun might have got the wrong idea about what was happening, not nationwide.

Ah ok. I'm in the camp of thinking, this vaccine is approved for public use before the year end. My opinion is that the caginess in saying so is because announce vaccines = mega pressure to chuck restrictions and compliance with the ones in our control (household mixing) going down the shitter

If a vaccine is ready for christmas they should put the shot in a cracker with a wee joke and a mini moustache to brighten up the sombre mood in Blighty.

* The public will also know that anyone wearing a small plastic moustache is safe to interact with without fear of infection.
If you see someone with a small black moustache then you should salute them in some way.

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Can raise my hand to this one. The thought of doing it again through the winter is pretty miserable.

I would be willing to go through another lockdown again(though it was/is brutal) if there was an endgame. If they said we have a vaccine ready and need the publics support to lockdown as we roll it out I would be quite happy to do it. These local lockdowns look pointless as people can freely move about and the tracking tracing and quarantine seems a bit hopeless so it's not really isolating the spreaders.

5 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:
20 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

If you see someone with a small black moustache then you should salute them in some way.

Yes raise the right hand with fingers extended to show them you are practising 1m safe distancing.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Ah ok. I'm in the camp of thinking, this vaccine is approved for public use before the year end. My opinion is that the caginess in saying so is because announce vaccines = mega pressure to chuck restrictions and compliance with the ones in our control (household mixing) going down the shitter

It would be disastrous to public health if they're not absolutely sure it's safe. If 0.01% of people have a bad reaction to it that's a million people globally. If it's just a sore arm or feeling a bit fluey, not a problem, but anything more and the antivaxxers like Chairman Mao will be creaming themselves, especially when the virus itself is pretty harmless to most people. 

It would be disastrous to public health if they're not absolutely sure it's safe. If 0.01% of people have a bad reaction to it that's a million people globally. If it's just a sore arm or feeling a bit fluey, not a problem, but anything more and the antivaxxers like Chairman Mao will be creaming themselves, especially when the virus itself is pretty harmless to most people. 
I absolutely agree and have expressed concerns about this before. My concerns dont affect my opinion that this is going to be approved and rolled out.