Coronavirus (COVID-19)

21 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

He wants a tough lockdown - but only if those at the bottom of society are looked after in terms of government support.

That's not the ridiculous position you paint it as.

If you're not providing support for the poorest, then let them keep going to try and keep their jobs and pay the bills.

A level of support that would still not materialise if the measures were applied nationally, which Burnham was fine with. Apparently this is fine across England as a whole, but how dare it happen in Greater Manchester where cases are sitting at 2.5x above the national average.

Edited by Michael W

It’s an asymptomatic virus though? Not saying you’re wrong but if we are doing track and trace properly then all contacts of a positive tester should be tested and all their contacts as well. I thought that was the point of the app? To trace people before they spread it about when they’re asymptomatic? If not then what’s the point?

Problem is that symptoms can take up to 14 days to develop, so a test doesn’t help in that scenario. The idea is you should isolate for 14 days from your last contact with the confirmed positive person so you’re then outwith the contagious period, should you have caught it, regardless of being asymptomatic. You are only able to get a test once you develop symptoms.

For example, I was at training with a lad who tested positive a few weeks ago. I had to then isolate for two weeks from our last session, but I have had no symptoms and was actively told my the club doctor that a test was pointless as it would only tell me if I was infected on that day. If I had gone back to work during that 14 day period I could have potentially infected my pupils even with a negative test.

The system falls down when there is a significant delay between contact and being notified. Again in my experience, my pal got his result on the Sunday but I didn’t hear from the NHS till late Monday. Luckily our doc had already notified all of the lads in that training bubble.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

It's not a 'paltry' £5m. He needed £90m and had already conceded down to £65m. 

It puts it in to perspective that there's a football club in his area spunked £80m on Harry McGuire.

One Harry McGuire = testing and grants to save the economy of Greater Manchester.

25 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It’s an asymptomatic virus though? Not saying you’re wrong but if we are doing track and trace properly then all contacts of a positive tester should be tested and all their contacts as well.

I thought that was the point of the app? To trace people before they spread it about when they’re asymptomatic? If not then what’s the point?

My understanding is the test doesn't show anything before the symptomatic phase.

Breaking the chain of infection is more important than testing thousands of people so in theory if someone self isolates that should break the chain (or at the very least limit it to immediate household)

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

My understanding is the test doesn't show anything before the symptomatic phase.

Breaking the chain of infection is more important than testing thousands of people so in theory if someone self isolates that should break the chain (or at the very least limit it to immediate household)

Completely misunderstood the test then. Wow that’s rubbish, so to confirm you have it wait until you’re ill then travel around to test centre and spread it about a bit.

29 minutes ago, Michael W said:

A level of support that would still not materialise if the measures were applied nationally, which Burnham was fine with. Apparently this is fine across England as a whole, but how dare it happen in Greater Manchester where cases are sitting at 2.5x above the national average.

You realise he is arguing for more money for the ones on minimum wage that are most likely to be affected by the new lockdown?

He has huge support for this in GM and what he is saying is that there should be more help for these workers and that any other city/region going into the third tier will only be able to expect that same level of help which is not enough.

How come people are expected to survive through this lockdown without any furlough scheme that there was earlier in the year, what is different for them this time round.

The fact that you think this is wrong and Andy Burnham is wrong says more about you.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Completely misunderstood the test then. Wow that’s rubbish, so to confirm you have it wait until you’re ill then travel around to test centre and spread it about a bit.

You self isolate at home. You can order a home test if you cant get a lift to the test centre.

8 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

My barber told me on Thursday that two weeks previous he shut the shop on the Thursday and made an appointment. He couldn't get one until the Monday. Turned up the Monday at Dudhope in Dundee and was told he'd have quite a wait. Cancelled the appointment and rearranged it for the Wednesday afternoon. 

At midday on the Wednesday, he was text saying he'd tested positive and had to isolate. His test was later that day. 

He explained that and the marshall/nurse (no idea) just apparently said "Oh that's weird, we will have to see how that's happened". 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Mancs on Twitter going on as if they are Russians in the siege of Stalingrad. Only those pubs which do not serve "substantial meals" will close, all other pubs and restaurants still open. The household restrictions are tough but hey, in Scotland we'd had that for 4 weeks now.

#ToriesOut is trending and, as much as I agree with the idea, Greater Manchester voted in 9 Tories out of 27 constituencies with the Tories having 35% of the vote compared to Labour's 48%. The north of England voting Tory is a major part of why they have an 80 seat majority.

"I didn't think the leopards would eat my face!" sobs man who voted for the Leopards Eating Faces Party

11 minutes ago, Gaz said:

"I didn't think the leopards would eat my face!" sobs man who voted for the Leopards Eating Faces Party

Indeed. In Greater Manchester, out of an electorate of 1.2M, only 63k more voted Labour (597k) than Tory (436k).

This was replicated, more or less all over the north of England. Much worse in Yorkshire and Tyne/Wear/Tees.

They're all regretting it now and, if not now, soon will be.

Edited by Arch Stanton

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

Someone who I was out with on Friday has just tested positive for Covid. Am I right in thinking that I don’t need a test unless I show symptoms and should otherwise just self-isolate?

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:
Someone who I was out with on Friday has just tested positive for Covid. Am I right in thinking that I don’t need a test unless I show symptoms and should otherwise just self-isolate?

Self isolate and get tested.

That’s what I initially thought, but this is what the Gov website says...

IMG_5852.jpg

lol

12 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Saw this on Twitter, some details on the location of outbreaks in Ireland.

IMG_1154.jpg

Evict everyone from their homes and into hotels where its safer?

No idea how you go about the household thing - Limit it to no-one inside again even to use the toilet because its clear if folk are in other folks houses they forget or don't care about taking precautions, figure out that and we could carry on as normal.

Just now, The Real Saints said:

My body temperature is always high due to a potent combination of anxiety and high blood pressure, so it's hard to tell if it's ever a Covid symptom in my case. Maybe I should book a test. 

I would book a test, from what Ive heard form pals in London you could be waiting some time so by the time you get a test you might have symptoms anyway.