Coronavirus (COVID-19)

24 minutes ago, Fratelli said:

In 4th year of Uni at the moment and still none the wiser as to how assessments and deadlines will be impacted. The uni have essentially just been saying "we'll give you a shout when we know" for the past 5 days now. Meant to get the definitive email today but nothing as of yet.  Tbf to them they're going off government advice which is all over the place at best, but it'd be handy to know where we stand with stuff due in the next few weeks and exams right after. 

Season’s cancelled mate. No honours to be dished out. Whole thing gets reset and you start again next August. 

Although i take absolutely no joy in this, this could be an extremely harsh learning period for people who insist on continually trying to live well beyond their means and entirely on credit. 

I drive a 10 year old car and at work get taken the piss out of by folk on 20k a year with cars they are paying £350 a month on. I know couples who pay out around £1500 credit a month purely on credit - their jobs are now at risk.

Recently spoke to someone about their new house, they had no idea how much it was or will end up paying other than "its £600 a month" no idea about term of mortgage or anything like that. The comment was "its cheaper than the last house i had" (despite it clearly being a more expensive property they are only basing it on monthly payments.)

Sadly there are going to be a lot of casualty cases.

Edited by red23

Raab claims he is confident Brexit trade talks with EU can still be concluded in 2020

Back in the Commons Labour’s Stephen Kinnock also asked Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, if the government would extend the Brexit transition in the light of the coronavirus crisis.

In response, Raab went further than he did when Ben Bradshaw asked this. (See 1.19pm.) He replied:

As far as I’m aware the negotiations can still proceed, given all of the logistical arrangements we’ve put in place. We are confident we can get this done. And, actually, I don’t think delaying Brexit negotiations will give anyone the certainty on either side of the channel that they need.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, they're going to 'get Brexit done' by working from home ?

1 minute ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Raab claims he is confident Brexit trade talks with EU can still be concluded in 2020

Back in the Commons Labour’s Stephen Kinnock also asked Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, if the government would extend the Brexit transition in the light of the coronavirus crisis.

In response, Raab went further than he did when Ben Bradshaw asked this. (See 1.19pm.) He replied:

As far as I’m aware the negotiations can still proceed, given all of the logistical arrangements we’ve put in place. We are confident we can get this done. And, actually, I don’t think delaying Brexit negotiations will give anyone the certainty on either side of the channel that they need.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, they're going to 'get Brexit done' by working from home ?

Might as well try that, they don't seem to have got it done by working from work.

People need to urgently change their behaviour in order to limit how coronavirus is transmitted, according to academics whose research in the UK suggests that workplaces were ‘hotspots’ for transmission by younger people. But for the over-65s, it’s shops and restaurants.

That comes from a piece in the Guardian by Petra Klepac, assistant professor of infectious disease modelling at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

What we have found in this data is that adults aged 20-50 make most of their contacts in workplaces. If those of us who can work remotely start doing so now, it will contribute to lowering overall transmission in the population.

Another important finding is that people over 65 – who are particularly at risk from severe Covid-19 illness – make over half of their contacts in other settings (not home, school or work), such as shops, restaurants and leisure centres.

By avoiding these interactions, people who are most at risk from the new coronavirus could halve their risk of infection. By changing our behaviour now, and sustaining these changes throughout the outbreak, we can significantly reduce our own risk of infection, and the risk to others, and by doing so help protect those most vulnerable.

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I dare say the eat them but it's the usual thing: scales, made of bog standard keratin as exists in all of our fingernails are, according to traditional medicine quacks, some miracle cure once ground up. It's funny how it's always endangered shit that supposedly does this stuff and not like slugs or whatever.

Read their scales might have medicinal properties so this should all work out OK 

Edited by Boostin' Kev

18 minutes ago, red23 said:

Although i take absolutely no joy in this, this could be an extremely harsh learning period for people who insist on continually trying to live well beyond their means and entirely on credit. 

I drive a 10 year old car and at work get taken the piss out of by folk on 20k a year with cars they are paying £350 a month on. I know couples who pay out around £1500 credit a month purely on credit - their jobs are now at risk.

Recently spoke to someone about their new house, they had no idea how much it was or will end up paying other than "its £600 a month" no idea about term of mortgage or anything like that. The comment was "its cheaper than the last house i had" (despite it clearly being a more expensive property they are only basing it on monthly payments.)

Sadly there are going to be a lot of casualty cases.

Think this is right . Already know of people being asked to take half pay or 2 months unpaid leave . If you're living payday to payday this will be a killer . Bound to see unemployment soar in the next 6 mths. 

The economic impacts will be far worse than the health impacts. 

Just now, Fullerene said:

Not sure about that.  I heard they are not that keen about cheese.

They eat a lot more dairy products than they used to. Seen it used a lot as a reason for price rises for milk related items in the UK. 

My work have called an emergency meeting for 4pm for all employees. To avoid personal contact they are holding it in the production area. That's 120 people being told gather in a space that 6 people normally work in. Genius.

Might be an orgy!