Coronavirus (COVID-19)

On 04/10/2020 at 17:04, renton said:

All it says is 39%  of incidents were reported in educational settings. Incidents being defined as two or more positive cases within 7 days.

Now, if you treat English and Scottish data as interchangeable (i.e. driven by the same trends)  then Primary Schools in England are providing 12% of all incidents, but weekly Scottish data shows that only 2.5% of total positive cases are being reported in Primary School children.

Clearly a bit of a disconnect between those figures.

The PHE data also can't state that the educational settings is the index case for the outbreak. It could still be the case that a staff member imports the virus into the school from previous social interaction and gives it to another staff member.  The data also doesn't show how large each incident is, of course.

On 04/10/2020 at 16:11, ICTChris said:

I don’t think that the chart you posted shows that 39% of all infections occurred in education. It is a breakdown of the institutional outbreaks, not total cases. It is a different chart to the one in the PHE weekly report so I could be wrong.

I don’t think it’s known where the majority of cases are resulting from. Certainly more children are getting it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/02/covid-cases-among-secondary-school-aged-children-rise-in-england

Interesting quote in that article

5 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

The Scottish evidence papers didn't mention schools at all in their graph.

Here's the England graphs for last week:

C24F933A-4E4C-45C1-B0AE-1AC144B5C201.jpeg.2c70289bf33320895e193c433aa592ec.thumb.jpeg.8e78fc5a7650fb28aa04df473cd59080.jpeg

Screenshot_20201002-182352_Dropbox.thumb.jpg.ab3434bf08469bfcc0820046f47f8633.jpg

No idea what is going on in schools in England but it's good The Virus seems to avoid Scottish schools.

The two quotes above above your latest reposting of a graph you dont understand were both made in reply to last time you posted it. Did I miss you addressing those? Maybe you could do so again for my benefit? 

It's also not last weeks graph is it? Perhaps you could stop telling lies and attempt to understand what you are copy/pasting? You are this threads Matt Hancock. To think you have the audacity to give folk like Todd a hard time

8 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

The Scottish evidence papers didn't mention schools at all in their graph.

Here's the England graphs for last week:

C24F933A-4E4C-45C1-B0AE-1AC144B5C201.jpeg.2c70289bf33320895e193c433aa592ec.thumb.jpeg.8e78fc5a7650fb28aa04df473cd59080.jpeg

Screenshot_20201002-182352_Dropbox.thumb.jpg.ab3434bf08469bfcc0820046f47f8633.jpg

No idea what is going on in schools in England but it's good The Virus seems to avoid Scottish schools.

What I take from that is that lockdown works. Prisons - 0%.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

Have English schools got the kids in masks? Might help cases a little.

Not anywhere in the UK, no. Business as usual.

They seem to have made a difference in Ontario.

25% of schools in Quebec (no masks) have had cases compared with 6.59% in Ontario (masks mandatory).

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The two quotes above above your latest reposting of a graph you dont understand were both made in reply to last time you posted it. Did I miss you addressing those? Maybe you could do so again for my benefit? 

It's also not last weeks graph is it? Perhaps you could stop telling lies and attempt to understand what you are copy/pasting? You are this threads Matt Hancock. To think you have the audacity to give folk like Todd a hard time

I'm well aware the graphs show incidents rather than infections.

All of the schools with instances could have had just 2 cases while nail bars could have had 100 cases.

Seems unlikely but it's possible.

You would still expect schools to be in the top 10 places that people had visited in the previous week before testing positive, with 700,000 pupils and 50,000 teachers out of a population of 5.5 million. They were ommited completely from the Scottish paper.

Which week are they from?

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

2 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Not anywhere in the UK, no. Business as usual.

They seem to have made a difference in Ontario.

25% of schools in Quebec (no masks) have had cases compared with 6.59% in Ontario (masks mandatory).

I'm sure kids in Scotland have to mask up when moving around the building that is bound to help

6 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I live on the London/Essex border

London is absolutely rammed full of office workers unlike any other UK city

That still doesn't account for the hospitality trade or why similar financial / office based City's abroad (such as Madrid) are much worse than their counterparts who are more factory and manufacturing based.

Who knows, it could indeed be a factor in London but I think there's much more at play here.

Why do the Official for National Statistics graphs upset you so much @Bairnardo?

Even though restrictions would affect your schedule, aren't you concerned about school kids and staff during a pandemic?

Can you explain the graphs please?

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

39 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

These figures are out of date and do not apply to Scotland.  Yesterday the Scottish Government released an evidence paper showing data gathered through the test and tracing process which is probably much more accurate than the above.  It shows over 20% of those tested positive reported having visited a hospitality venue within the previous seven days.

So 1 in 5 people who tested had visited a hospitality venue? How many had driven a car or used a toilet?

The weekly Scottish Government report on Covid in schools is due to be published today, not on their website yet.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/covid-19-education-recovery-group-children-and-young-people-infographic/

@Szamo's_Ammo Which report is that pie chart re incidents from?  I was interested to read it but there are so many it's hard to wade through them all.

Edited by ICTChris

My armchair conclusion (NW England):
1) The additional measures were pretty half-arsed and ineffective;
2) People still ignored them anyway; and
3) The students arrived and an already high prevalence of the virus just shot up. 
I see Andy Burnam's been whining again today. Time to shut the North West down for six weeks. 

I’m not sure this chap can make his mind up. One day he seems to be demanding clear direction from Central Government, the next day he pops up again claiming that only local officials in Manchester should be responsible for C19 safety measures in the City and surrounding areas. No wonder the punters are confused!?

8 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Why do the Official for National Statistics graphs upset you so much @Bairnardo?

Even though restrictions would affect your schedule, aren't you concerned about school kids and staff during a pandemic?

Can you explain the graphs please?

Upset 😂😂😂 

My schedule 😂😂😂😂😂

Now for the parts of your post that have manage to just about struggle towards being worth a response.

No I am not in the least bit concerned about my kids. There is a mountain of credible research to back that up. 

No I can't explain the graphs. Chris and Renton both did so though and you continue to post the same one over and over. Either you dont understand it, or you are posting it deliberately out of context. Now that you have actually acknowledged that it doesnt mean what you are desperate to imply, maybe you should post the full relevant data?

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Upset 😂😂😂 

My schedule 😂😂😂😂😂

Now for the parts of your post that have manage to just about struggle towards being worth a response.

No I am not in the least bit concerned about my kids. There is a mountain of credible research to back that up. 

No I can't explain the graphs. Chris and Renton both did so though and you continue to post the same one over and over. Either you dont understand it, or you are posting it deliberately out of context. Now that you have actually acknowledged that it doesnt mean what you are desperate to imply, maybe you should post the full relevant data?

What do you think I've been trying to imply?

What do you think I've been trying to imply?
Honestly, and this is my genuine thoughts here. You think virginton wants the schools closed and have been scraping up whatever you can to gove him hauners without actually understanding what it is you are doing.

This is the basis of the earlier Matt Hancock reference. You have absolute nothing to say.

That still doesn't account for the hospitality trade or why similar financial / office based City's abroad (such as Madrid) are much worse than their counterparts who are more factory and manufacturing based.
Who knows, it could indeed be a factor in London but I think there's much more at play here.

Madrid is fucked because the Spaniards mainly went back to offices quickly and also because they opened nightclubs

The hospitality in London hasn’t been that busy because most people only travel into the city centre for work and then will visit pubs and restaurants in the evening before returning to the borough. WFH means these people aren’t visiting the city centre at all. Not to mention tourist footfall is a tiny fraction of what it was pre covid

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Honestly, and this is my genuine thoughts here. You think virginton wants the schools closed and have been scraping up whatever you can to gove him hauners without actually understanding what it is you are doing.

This is the basis of the earlier Matt Hancock reference. You have absolute nothing to say.

I've broken my own rule today:

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I think that's the last time I'll give you the respect of responding using the written word on the subject.

Here are some emojis:

😂🤣😁😭🤞👌

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo

5 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Madrid is fucked because the Spaniards mainly went back to offices quickly and also because they opened nightclubs

The hospitality in London hasn’t been that busy because most people only travel into the city centre for work and then will visit pubs and restaurants in the evening before returning to the borough. WFH means these people aren’t visiting the city centre at all. Not to mention tourist footfall is a tiny fraction of what it was pre covid

Fair do's, you're there and I'm not so you know much more about it than i do.

3 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I've broken my own rule today:

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I think that's the last time I'll give you the respect of responding using the written word on the subject.

Here are some emojis:

😂🤣😁😭🤞👌

That's a surprise. A response vomited straight down your thrapple by methadone mick himself.  Can I suggest you utilise the ignore function? 

47 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

I’m not sure this chap can make his mind up. One day he seems to be demanding clear direction from Central Government, the next day he pops up again claiming that only local officials in Manchester should be responsible for C19 safety measures in the City and surrounding areas. No wonder the punters are confused!?

He's a man who has never had an original thought in his life - all he does is jump on the latest bandwagon and see where it takes him. Some of the confusion is undoubtedly his fault.

I'm also not sure I've ever seen him make a decision either. Could eclipse Johnson in the dithering stakes.