Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Michael Bloomberg, what a guy................Praise the Lord for billionaires.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bloomberg Philanthropies, the multibillionaire Michael Bloomberg’s charitable foundation, has announced it is to fund a $40m global initiative to fight the spread of coronavirus in low- and middle-income countries.

Announcing the plan, Bloomberg, who recently spent about 26 times that amount in an abortive bid for the Democrat presidential nomination, said:

Millions of lives depend on getting the coronavirus response right – and so does the economic and social health of communities around the world. We need to slow transmission of the virus and minimize the impact of the outbreak in all countries.

As we launch the Coronavirus Local Response Initiative this week here in the U.S., we also are creating a new effort to prevent its spread globally, particularly in Africa. I know from my experience as mayor of New York City that giving public health professionals the tools to protect the public is vital to saving lives – and to help mitigate the kind of economic and social damage that could make this crisis even more debilitating for families and communities.

It comes after Bloomberg spent about $558m in three months in his punt to run for the US presidency.   😝

Looks like I’ll be coming back to the homeland, guys. A mixture of part-time projection work at Cineworld and irregular music-related stuff has proved not to be the most ideal combination. Would have been nice for Cineworld to inform its employees before the news did.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

BBC blaming the COVID-19 virus for the Laura Ashley chain. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51927691

I'm calling BS on this one, not just for the BBC but for the company to conveniently blame the virus when they've been struggling for years and that's including when they went into administration the first time not that long ago.

This is a company which had is best years more than 20 years ago and were reluctant to change with the times, shame for the staff to lose their jobs but I don't have much sympathy for the company.

Its far too early for companies to start squirming those that are now were already struggling on margins or are more concerned about their shares and their profits than the product or the service they provide.

Are we going to see companies who were struggling before the pandemic suddenly collapsing conveniently over the next few days and asking for a government hand outs to help them?

Hollywood Bowl, City Pub Group & DFS would be three of my tips for imminent admin and of the big boys First Group is in some serious s**t.

Ashley has been a basket case for years but management try and get out of their f**k ups by blaming external current factors. Fat tounged mocknee c**t Jamie Oliver tried to blame Brexit for his restaurants closing when in reality they had been losing money since before 2016 because they were selling overpriced bland crap.

I do worry that some organisations (looking at you PubCo's) will use this as an excuse not to reopen loss making outlets.

Edited by Junior Pub League

3 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Hollywood Bowl, City Pub Group & DFS would be three of my tips for imminent admin and of the big boys First Group is in some serious s**t.

I would expect some of the train operating companies to try and wriggle out of their contracts over this......................the Caledonian Sleeper won't survive this, surely.....

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

5 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

I would expect some of the train operating companies to try and wriggle out of their contracts over this......................the Caledonian Sleeper won't survive this, surely.....

Yes, it's always the way.

In some respects the good thing about this virus is that money, power and wealth won't save you in any way (although you will have access to better hospital care obviously), maybe this is actually the reboot that society in general has been crying out for, although at a very costly price.

1 hour ago, Ross. said:

Fully expect to be "automated" out of a job in the next few years as it is. I'm just hoping for a good pay off before I go...

or outsourced to India for huge cost savings.

What we see - "Hi i can't login to SAP as my account is disabled" "ok, please log off, shut down your pc and try log back in again"

What management see - huge cost savings

Reality - a far larger amount of wasted time and money than the outsourcing saved that goes undocumented and caused by sheer incompetence.

Edited by red23

4 minutes ago, red23 said:

or outsourced to India for huge cost savings.

What we see - "Hi i can't login to SAP as my account is disabled" "ok, please log off, shut down your pc and try log back in again"

What management see - huge cost savings

Reality - a far larger amount of wasted time and money than the outsourcing saved that goes undocumented and caused by sheer incompetence.

In our case it's far more likely they would go straight to automation. We are rumoured to have a very sweet tax arrangement with the kanton we are based in. If we simply move the jobs, the tax implications would be far more expensive than the wage savings.

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Hollywood Bowl are owned by the same company which owns Sizzling Pubs and, I think, O'Neills.

Not exactly a great portfolio in the current climate

The less salubrious amongst our democratically elected overlords must be rubbing their gloved hands together in glee at all of the toxic scandals and skeletons in cupboards they can sort out under the radar while everyone is losing the heid over this virus.