Coronavirus (COVID-19)

The large chain gyms all froze fees during the first lockdown. 
I expect they will again as it's extremely easy to leave a gym and join another one. 

I think the point I was trying to make is that the bigger chains, given their revenue model, wouldn’t all of a sudden go out of business in the same way a pub or restaurant might, so if the Government wanted to close gyms then the larger chains would be fine (making a two/three week closure an easier thing to do)

Hopefully the information coming out is accurate and it means gyms can remain open.

2 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

House parties, student parties will go through the roof. 

Many folk are sick fed up, people who were trying their best to abide by the restrictions will now just say f**k it. 

It's sticking on an Elastoplast to heal a broken leg territory now. 

They have learned nothing from March.

2 minutes ago, Detournement said:

According to that gyms are staying open. 

All hail Nanny Nic!

I can understand the group exercises being banned in the central belt, if the goal is stop household mixing.  But most gyms are quite strict in the cleaning protocols and if you're in the gym and not being a shitebag you should keep your distance from others at the best of times.  As far as I know there have been very few cases of Covid in gyms, and most gyms I know are limiting numbers of people allowed in (some even closing a couple of times a day for deep cleaning). 

With regards to the schools and teachers, speaking as one, I find the comments from the unions a bit daft.   It is a bit rubbish that we will be incredibly limited as to what we can do during the October break, and many staff did do extra work throughout the holidays in hub schools or planning for blended learning etc.  But are we the only sector that worked during lockdown?  Are we the only people missing out on being able to do things right now? 

Whether we want to admit it or not, we will get more holidays than others in the future that will hopefully come at a time when we are back to more 'normal' circumstances.  It's shit, but it's a shit situation for everyone.  I don't think we should be complaining in the grand scheme of things. 

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Personally, yes, I want things to keep things as they are at present but also look at opening up the things that aren’t open at the moment (like football) but keep reinforcing the need for wearing of masks, social distancing and good personal hygiene such as hand washing and use of anti-bacterial gels in public. 

Maybe make concerted efforts to catch and punish people who aren’t following these rules.

I suppose the government aren’t omnipotent. They cant see why so many people are catching it at the moment. However, they seem to be tying themselves in knots trying to ‘do something’. 

I couldn't disagree with any of that.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

What next, break drink driving rules as they "felt fine" and don't see a problem ??

You say that in jest, but when drink-driving laws were introduced there were similar protests against it infringing on people's liberty. Also happened when mandatory seatbelts became law.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

You say that in jest, but when drink-driving laws were introduced there were similar protests against it infringing on people's liberty. Also happened when mandatory seatbelts became law.

Yes, I know, I wasn't actually joking though, I was meaning that you can't pick and choose what laws you'll abide to.

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'm not seeing this being honest and ultimately it's being done for a reason and not just to annoy people, so if people are willing to break the law for a few pints then they should accept the consequences if and when they're brought to justice.

What next, break drink driving rules as they "felt fine" and don't see a problem ??

That's how anarchy starts.

People will start taking drugs next!

25 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Just wondering what it is people want to happen ?

Is it a case of fcuk it, herd immunity and open everything up that most are wanting ??

If so, I'm genuinely perplexed as that would be the exact opposite strategy of every other government in Europe / across the world.

In France we have Paris and Marseille effectively closed down, we've got road blocks in Ireland attempting to stop people travelling and there's curfews on the licenced trade across most of Europe and beyond.

So again, what do people want / expect to happen here ????

Local lockdowns only postpone the inevitable.   Herd immunity is the way to go.

Is it a case of fcuk it, herd immunity and open everything up that most are wanting ??
If so, I'm genuinely perplexed as that would be the exact opposite strategy of every other government in Europe / across the world.
In France we have Paris and Marseille effectively closed down, we've got road blocks in Ireland attempting to stop people travelling and there's curfews on the licenced trade across most of Europe and beyond.
I don't think there's many people who are calling for everything to be reopened and back to how we were before but I do think that a lot of people are understandably sick fed up of restrictions.

My personal opinion is that lockdowns have a short term benefit at best in that they reduce case numbers I can't see how it can be viewed as a long term option. Constant lockdowns are very much a case of the cure being worse than the cause IMO as, while cases reduce, there's a much greater impact on other aspects of people's lives both mentally and financially.

I would never claim to be an expert but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a way to gradually build up some level of herd immunity while we wait on a possible vaccine. It might seem a bit simplistic and, as I say, I'm no expert but if we have a level of social distancing along with an emphasis on increased hygiene and an effective T&T system to prevent any spread getting out of control then surely that would allow a level of immunity to gradually build while allowing society to function without us needing to shut businesses every few weeks.

I am as fed up with the restrictions as anyone, but there seems to be this weird idea that we’re completely unique in doing it and not just following the lead of other European nations. Sturgeon will get criticism for whatever she imposes because people are sick of complying.

Both governments are both in denial about the need for targeted shielding. 

There was mass hysteria from WFH journalists and Facebook maws about letting the virus circulate but now we know more about how mild it is for most people (Long Covid does not exist) it is the best way forward. 

It's basically what has already happened with key workers with little impact outside high risk areas of the NHS. 

Personally, yes, I want to keep things as they are at present but also look at opening up the things that aren’t open at the moment (like football) but keep reinforcing the need for wearing of masks, social distancing and good personal hygiene such as hand washing and use of anti-bacterial gels in public. 

Maybe make concerted efforts to catch and punish people who aren’t following these rules.

I suppose the government aren’t omnipotent. They cant see why so many people are catching it at the moment. However, they seem to be tying themselves in knots trying to ‘do something’. 
That middle paragraph hits it right on the nail - too many breaking rules because we don't enforce them properly - face masks is a big bugbear of mine - it seems to me that the exemptions have been a drama queens' charter.

58 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I would like:

An end to the hinting of restrictions over a period of days before implementing them. Just get on with it when it's clear the mind is made up. 

Indoor visits allowed between families and friends; rule of 6 abolished. Ban on mixing implemented only where area is experiencing high prevalence of the virus. 

All hospitality and retail open with restrictions as at the moment, unless the area is suffering a very high prevalence of the virus. 10pm curfew binned. 

Universities students sent home unless they must be on site to attend practical workshops or are foreign students that have no where else to go. School shut in areas where there is a high rate of infection.

A proper regional lockdown in North West England. I don't know what they've done, but they've fucked it. 

In terms of what I expect? Hospitality closed, household mixing in England banned. 

Edited by Michael W

I would like:
An end to the hinting of restrictions over a period of days before implementing them. Just get on with it when it's clear the mind is made up. 
Indoor visits allowed between families and friends; rule of 6 abolished. Ban on mixing implemented only where area is experiencing high prevalence of the virus. 
All hospitality and retail open with restrictions as at the moment, unless the area is suffering a very high prevalence of the virus. 10am curfew binned. 
Universities students sent home unless they must be on site to attend practical workshops or are foreign students that have no where else to go. School shut in areas where there is a high rate of infection.
À proper regional lockdown in North Weest England. I don't know what they've done, but they've fucked it. 
In terms of what I expect? Hospitality closed, household mixing in England banned. 
Face masks properly enforced indoors and outdoors.

Agree about the drip drip hints - not the best way to win people's confidence or support.

Both governments are both in denial about the need for targeted shielding. 
There was mass hysteria from WFH journalists and Facebook maws about letting the virus circulate but now we know more about how mild it is for most people (Long Covid does not exist) it is the best way forward. 
It's basically what has already happened with key workers with little impact outside high risk areas of the NHS. 
I made the point the other day - they need to be looking at 2 measures - symptomatic +ve test and asymptomatic +ve tests - we might have a better idea of the real scale of the problem and how to handle it.

32 minutes ago, WATTOO said:
32 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'm not seeing this being honest and ultimately it's being done for a reason and not just to annoy people, so if people are willing to break the law for a few pints then they should accept the consequences if and when they're brought to justice.

That's how anarchy starts.

Not sure going to see a friend or your parents is quite the same as drink driving. 

4 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I don't think there's many people who are calling for everything to be reopened and back to how we were before but I do think that a lot of people are understandably sick fed up of restrictions.

My personal opinion is that lockdowns have a short term benefit at best in that they reduce case numbers I can't see how it can be viewed as a long term option. Constant lockdowns are very much a case of the cure being worse than the cause IMO as, while cases reduce, there's a much greater impact on other aspects of people's lives both mentally and financially.

I would never claim to be an expert but I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a way to gradually build up some level of herd immunity while we wait on a possible vaccine. It might seem a bit simplistic and, as I say, I'm no expert but if we have a level of social distancing along with an emphasis on increased hygiene and an effective T&T system to prevent any spread getting out of control then surely that would allow a level of immunity to gradually build while allowing society to function without us needing to shut businesses every few weeks.

Good post,  but I suppose the main worry is that we end up with lots of hospitalisations and deaths again. So far it appears that advances in how we're treating the ill and the knowledge we've built up since the spring has stopped the death rate and seriously ill from getting out of control, however that may not be the case in a few weeks / months from now and by that time it will be too late.

It's a very difficult situation and there's really no right answer and even from a political perspective there's no winners or losers as opposition parties everywhere can criticise and publicly attack policies of Government, but ultimately they're all on the same page and are following the same medical and scientific advice.

Everyone will be sacrificing something, whether it's missing out on foreign holidays, a beer with friends at the weekend or going with your pals to the fitba on a Saturday, some have more serious problems like not being able to see loved ones or grandparents missing their grandchildren growing up, then there's those with landmark birthdays that are missing out on their "big day" and those with weddings or even funerals that they are unable to attend.

Who knows ? I suppose we could look at countries like Spain who are ahead of us in this curve and see how their deaths / serious cases are weighing up but ultimately it's not a nice decision to make about who we potentially sacrifice and if we don't what will be the long term damage to the economy and population in general ???

As I say, it's a lose / lose I'm afraid, irrespective of politics or which course we decide to take.

I am as fed up with the restrictions as anyone, but there seems to be this weird idea that we’re completely unique in doing it and not just following the lead of other European nations. Sturgeon will get criticism for whatever she imposes because people are sick of complying.

Is there another country in Europe where you can’t pop round a mate’s house for dinner?